PDA

View Full Version : 2011 MBA to 2012 MBA for dual displays (multistream transport adapters)

kchase731
Sep 18, 2012, 11:56 AM
I currently have a 2011 MBA. I "downgraded" from a 15" MBP last year and im really happy with the choice. I use multi-monitors at work, and would love to connect my MBA to my dual u2412m monitors (actually i have 3 but i know the 2012 MBA is limited to 2). I have read about multistream transport adapters (mst) and want to know if i upgrade to a 2012 MBA can i use one of these adapters to connect the thunderbolt port to connect to 2 display ports on my monitors?

at home i have a 27 LED cinema, and it annoys the crap out of me that I cant just add a thunderbolt display directly to my 27 cinema. I know one option is just buy a 15 rMBP use multi ports, but i really, and i mean really like my MBA so if i could use a henge dock at work and home and multistream adapters to do dual monitors in both places i would be very happy. I dont care about using the laptop display when im plugged into the monitors, i just want dual external displays.

help is appreciated.

wditters
Sep 18, 2012, 01:25 PM
at home i have a 27 LED cinema, and it annoys the crap out of me that I cant just add a thunderbolt display directly to my 27 cinema. I know one option is just buy a 15 rMBP use multi ports, but i really, and i mean really like my MBA so if i could use a henge dock at work and home and multistream adapters to do dual monitors in both places i would be very happy. I dont care about using the laptop display when im plugged into the monitors, i just want dual external displays.

help is appreciated.

For now the only viable alternative, until TB docks come out, would be the Matrix DualHead2Go DP edition. That is what I am currently using to drive my two Lenovo 24" LED screens in 3840*1200 mode (2 x 1920*1200). Works like a charm as long as I do not consider taking up gaming ;-)

kchase731
Sep 18, 2012, 11:40 PM
Any issues with 3d in this setup? Mainly with the ui. Like osx features and I'm often in win7 like the aero interface?