Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
This is getting very problematic. Every once and a while, Apple forces people to change their AppleID password. After you change it, EVERYTHING breaks. iCloud, iMessages, FaceTime, iTunes, AppStore, iOS backups, etc etc. Then you have to go into EVERY single app (and system) using your Apple ID to reset EVERY password. ON EVERY DEVICE. So once you change your password (forced by Apple), you need to change 5-6 password PER device. This happens every 6 months (maybe shorter) I think. So if you have like a Mac, iPhone, and iPad, once Apple forces you to change it, be prepared to change your password 15-18 times. If you don't you won't receive iMessages, you won't receive facetime calls, you can't download apps, your backups to iCloud won't work, even iWorks and stuff can't save to the cloud.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
I have never once had to change my Apple ID password.

It is every 3 months, not 6 months...

http://www.optshiftk.com/2012/05/apple-id/

EVERY 3 MONTHS you have to change 18 passwords! Manually. You also can't flip flop between 2 passwords. They must be unique every time. That is simply stupid. After a changing it 4 times in a year you must write it down on paper because no one can remember what was the last password.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2007
Maybe there is a subset of the AppleID. Developers I think. But once you join once, you are stuck with the password changes every 3 months.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I am literally still using the same Apple ID password I have had since the MobileMe days. I haven't changed it in years.

Where you are getting notification that you must change password? Maybe this is just a trojan or phishing.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have had the same Apple ID password since the inception of Apple ID's

Your link refers to only Developers, so your thread title and initial post are misleading
I cannot speak for developers, but I have never had to change

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I have had the same Apple ID password since the inception of Apple ID's

Your link refers to only Developers, so your thread title and initial post are misleading
I cannot speak for developers, but I have never had to change

Me too - I have had two apple ID's used for multiple things, iTunes, .Mac/MobileMe, iCloud, dev, support etc. One password has never changed and the other one has been changed, but by my own choosing when I was having some spam issues. It stopped a year or so ago and I have never been prompted to change it. Recommended to back then, but never required.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've never been prompted to change my apple id password. I did it a while back when I was nervous that my account may have been compromised (it wasn't) Its been over 3 months since I made the change and I'm not getting warned that I need to change my password.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.