PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook SuperDrive

danny_boy
Aug 18, 2005, 04:48 PM
Hi,

I have just burnt my first DVD with my new PowerBook. Why is it I can only write a either 1x or 2x speed? When the disk I'm using are 1-8x speed? My SuperDrive I believe is 8x? It's really frustrating as DVD's take ages to burn at 2x speed. Any advice? I'm using finder to burn my DVD's?

Danny

robbieduncan
Aug 18, 2005, 04:57 PM
It's down to the firmware not recognising the disk as 8x compatible. Either find upgraded firmware (difficult) or find a list of media that actually works at 8x.

Apple seem to have tweeked the firmware to be over picky to give a better chance of a good burn.

matticus008
Aug 18, 2005, 05:13 PM
I've used Imation media with no trouble burning at full speed. I've also used the Newegg branded media, also with no trouble. What program are you using to author DVDs?

danny_boy
Aug 19, 2005, 01:40 AM
I'm using Finder to burn my disks and Maxell disks. Only got 3 disks left to use so maybe it's time for some better ones? Any recommendations?

Danny

iEdd
Aug 19, 2005, 03:59 AM
I'm using Finder to burn my disks and Maxell disks. Only got 3 disks left to use so maybe it's time for some better ones? Any recommendations?

Danny
I like TDK. The DVD-R (8x) ones are great. I am going to buy some 16x DVD+R soon too :)

AlBDamned
Aug 19, 2005, 04:48 AM
Hi,

I have just burnt my first DVD with my new PowerBook. Why is it I can only write a either 1x or 2x speed? When the disk I'm using are 1-8x speed? My SuperDrive I believe is 8x? It's really frustrating as DVD's take ages to burn at 2x speed. Any advice? I'm using finder to burn my DVD's?

Danny

Check out This Thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=137192&highlight=superdrive+crippled) on the matter.