PDA

View Full Version : WARNING 10.7.5 just destroyed my Mac Pro

Itpirate
Sep 19, 2012, 02:08 PM
Just installed the update and now I can't boot. I have tried to recover using a clean copy of Lion via the online restore and it crashes as well....

I am trying to install snow leopard now.

old-wiz
Sep 19, 2012, 07:22 PM
Always always always create a bootable clone before running software updates.

TheRealTVGuy
Sep 19, 2012, 08:17 PM
Just installed the update and now I can't boot. I have tried to recover using a clean copy of Lion via the online restore and it crashes as well....

I am trying to install snow leopard now.

I'm on the same boat. I've get the startup chime, then they grey screen with the apple and the spinning circle and its been sitting like that for hours.

Used to be, day of updates were fine. Now I'm really thinking about waiting til .2 versions come down.

If you find the solution to our problem, please post!

Candlelight
Sep 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
I installed just fine on my Macbook Pro. I never do something like this through the App Store though, I always download the combo update from the Apple website and go from there.

Sorry you guys are having issues.

WRP
Sep 19, 2012, 09:01 PM
Used to be, day of updates were fine. Now I'm really thinking about waiting til .2 versions come down.

ummmm, how long have you used macs? Any well weathered person knows not to update immediately and also not to use the system update app but download the update once you hear the issues and update manually.

TheRealTVGuy
Sep 19, 2012, 09:06 PM
ummmm, how long have you used Macs?

Since the Apple II in 1st Grade in 1988!!

I drink the Kool-Aid though and can't help myself... Now I've got to dig into storage, pull out the discs, and reinstall...

Thank goodness for my Timecapsule backups...

tigres
Sep 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Anything 10.7-10.7.9 is apple maps of OS. Hope you get your problem sorted though. I reccomend 10.6.8 fwiw.

aviationwiz
Sep 20, 2012, 12:32 AM
Same issue on my 2007 Mac Pro - blurry lines in the middle of the screen, and kernel panic on boot.

cal6n
Sep 20, 2012, 06:06 AM
No issues with my Mac Pro 2,1

MisterMe
Sep 20, 2012, 07:08 AM
Since the Apple II in 1st Grade in 1988!!

...The Apple ][ was not a Mac.

Itpirate
Sep 20, 2012, 10:12 AM
Went back to a clean install of 10.7.4 and it works fine. It will be awhile before I try a lion upgrade again.

BTW this is a 2007 Mac Pro. Why in the hell I can't use ML when my 2007 iMac can is beyond me.

If anyone figures out what the problem/remedy is I would appreciate it.

For me I just get stuck at the kernel panic power button/restart screen after the 10.7.5 upgrade.

minik
Sep 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
No issue here on the MacPro 4,1 with 20-inch ACD.

aviationwiz
Sep 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
Went back to a clean install of 10.7.4 and it works fine.

How did you go back to a clean install of 10.7.4? I can't get mine to boot in to a flash drive with Lion on it, or a DVD.

stchman
Sep 20, 2012, 12:06 PM
Went back to a clean install of 10.7.4 and it works fine. It will be awhile before I try a lion upgrade again.

BTW this is a 2007 Mac Pro. Why in the hell I can't use ML when my 2007 iMac can is beyond me.

For me I just get stuck at the kernel panic power button/restart screen after the 10.7.5 upgrade.

You 2007 Mac Pro probably has a 32 bit UEFI only and Mountain Lion is 64 bit ONLY.

TheRealTVGuy
Sep 20, 2012, 12:54 PM
The Apple ][ was not a Mac.

:) good call, sir.

Itpirate
Sep 20, 2012, 12:55 PM
You 2007 Mac Pro probably has a 32 bit UEFI only and Mountain Lion is 64 bit ONLY.

huh? 10.7.5 is lion not ML

I looked on the apple support communities and I am not the only one with this issue.

Luap
Sep 20, 2012, 02:07 PM

For the most part they are fine. And this is an x.x.5 update, so it should be good with no need to wait before installing.
It's likely fair to say that issues like this happen amongst a small minority of users. And although it could well be Apples fault, neither can we be certain of that either..
But for the record, it works just fine on my 07 iMac.

kenetic
Sep 20, 2012, 02:59 PM
I am having the same issue.

I reboot the machine. It will chime, gear spins. The screen went fuzzy. After a while it will reboot.

I can't get into my OS. I have no problem before.

maxium
Sep 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
Have been experiencing a similar problem since couple updates from Mountain Lion launches. It starts begin lagging when the machine running certain amount of times, then it would take up more than 30 mins to get a restart. Have not install this 10.7.5 updates yet, afraid it might even getting worse.

AnalyzeThis
Sep 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
Good job APPLE!!!

Chastepe
Sep 20, 2012, 07:28 PM
Trine 2 (The game from Steam) is not working properly in full screen mode. It is offset in the lower right corner and of course it is not playable.

amphibole
Sep 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
My spotlight has been indexing for 5+ hours, sometimes showing an estimated time, but mostly "Estimating Indexing Time". Peripherals stopped working earlier today, and now I can barely load this web page.

I found humor of the irony when my Force Quit window froze up with spinning wheel.

Hope this sorts itself out after indexing spotlight. Nothing showing in activity monitor. Frustrated. Tons of work to do tonight, and a new phone coming tomorrow. UGH!

seasob
Sep 20, 2012, 09:37 PM
Hi - new to the forum. Had to register to post my own woes. Mac Pro 2.4 dual quad-core 2010, updated through software update (how, in all these years, did I miss that that is not smart to do??), then she'd hang on startup, during the spinning wheel under the grey Apple. Dozens of times. Tried clearing PRAM, safe booting, etc. Nuthin. Rebooted from Techtools eDrive, ran diagnostics, repaired permissions/rebuilt volume, etc. Nope.

So now I'm in the midst of installing Mountain Lion - leaving Lion altogether in the hopes it will paste over the problem. OK so far, it's installing with no dramas. Couldn't do a clean install as it's been over a week since last backup and I've been busy at the keyboard.

Wish me luck! I'll post with results. Sorry for all y'all having similar issues. SO frustrating!

Cheers...

Mac Lifesaver
Sep 21, 2012, 03:30 AM

Perhaps a videocard with 64bit drivers would do the trick...

maxium
Sep 21, 2012, 04:25 AM
Please keep us posted seasob
been thinking upgrade to ML as well but afraid it might just mess it all up.

aviationwiz
Sep 23, 2012, 02:08 AM
Just as an update to my specific problem, I brought it in to the Apple Store today, and using an external drive to boot in to first, they were then able to get my Mac Pro to boot in to 10.7.5 with that drive being the only one in the system, incorrectly diagnosing my other hard drive as bad. I brought it home, and within minutes, the display had blurry lines throughout, the colors were off, and quickly moved to a full blown lock up. I then tried to install 10.7.4 from my bootable flash drive, however, even with 10.7.5 completely wiped off my drive, the display problems persisted.

Purchasing a new video card ($250) from Micro Center fixed the problem, and I was then quickly able to restore my system from a Time Machine backup (which was on the drive the Genius Bar erroneously diagnosed as bad). Now I'm up and running on 10.7.4, and won't be touching 10.7.5 again.

While I'm not sure how an OS software update could brick a video card, I do know that the problem I had started after restarting from the 10.7.5 install, and then persisted to have problems (and make the computer unusable) until it was replaced.