Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deadcantdance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Hi,

I'm now receiving iMessages on my MBP, which is very nice. But sometimes, messages in a conversation are displayed in wrong order. This happens, when I open a conversation and messages sent from my iPhone are synced on the MPB (which was off by the time I was sending the messages).

Anyone else with this issue here?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
That's been happening before 10.8.2. Has to do with the times they come in and whe the other devices are turned on looking for updates. I thought they'd have had that fixed by now. I assume they have the date and time stamped on each message and can sort them properly; but maybe not. I don't know.

Last edited:

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
I've had this problem ever since I installed the iMessages beta. Sometimes messages will appear in the wrong order on the computer than the correct order on the iPhone.

Strange and very annoying.

deadcantdance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Yes, sorting on iPhone or iPad is always correct, only on the MBP it's messed up.

Will file a radar bug tomorrow. It's driving me crazy.

skr831

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010
Hi,

I'm now receiving iMessages on my MBP, which is very nice. But sometimes, messages in a conversation are displayed in wrong order. This happens, when I open a conversation and messages sent from my iPhone are synced on the MPB (which was off by the time I was sending the messages).

Anyone else with this issue here?

I'm having a similar issue. Today, on my iMac which was open all day, images that I sent last night reordered themselves to appear as the latest post. I rebooted iMessage and it reorganized in the proper order.

I noticed that when you hover the cursor over text bubble or an image it displays a time stamp so that information is in there but maybe not following the text or images from the iphone back to the desktop when they aren't both on and open at the same time. Seems like that wouldn't be that hard to code it everything with a time stamp and align it from that.

gluckett

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2009
Same here. Sometimes messed up on my Mac, but my iDevices are always correct.

My iDevices aren't - had a conversation on the iPhone, when they finally showed up on the iPad, all the ones I sent were grouped together and all the ones the other person sent were grouped together...

Anson225

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
ya... the order of iMessage on mac is so messed up
sometimes the latest message appears on the top lol...

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
I have this problem as well. However, if I open Messages, let it sit for a few seconds to download all messages, quit it, and then reopen it, the messages seem to be sorted in the correct order.

I don't know if doing that causes problems, though. Even though I have my computer set to use my phone number as my iMessage "caller ID," yesterday it used one of the two email addresses associated with my account when sending a reply to a group. Since that's an address that none of my contacts knew of previously, it's not the case that someone had started messaging me at the email address, causing Messages to switch over to it. I'm wondering if opening Messages, quitting it, and then opening it again, all within a minute, causes the initial "caller ID" to time out at least briefly.

Boston007

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
My Messages app won't even open anymore. Some internal error. Same with Facetime. What garbage. I even called Apple tech and they could not solve my problem.

I checked the console log and something with a SQL DB failure for Messages.

I am not doing a fresh reinstall of everything, although I probably should since the machine hasn't been freshly installed since I got it in t April 2008

deadcantdance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
My iDevices aren't - had a conversation on the iPhone, when they finally showed up on the iPad, all the ones I sent were grouped together and all the ones the other person sent were grouped together...

Can confirm it, the same happened on iPad when I was replying to an iMessage from my Mac.

Let's hope they fix it in 10.8.3 and iOS 6.1...

deadcantdance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
iOS 5.0.1 was released about a month after iOS 5.0. So I would assume 6.0.1 should be out in november. But I have no clue about 10.8.3.

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
It happens to me too. Just randomly screws order of messages. I've even deleted whole history and caches to make sure. grrrrrr!

Did anybody reported problem to apple?

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
This has happened a few times with me, but I've found that if I quit Messages — by actually pressing command-Q, not by just closing the window — the messages are properly sorted the next time I open the app.

mynameisjoe1

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
answer

If it is messed up on the mac computer, go to terminal, and then type
killall Messages

this should work!

Last edited:

kivi12

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Same thing happens to me. Sometimes messages won't even show up on my mac, they haven't for some of my contacts the last couple of days, or I'll try to start send a message from the messages app on my mbp and it'll say that they're not registered with iMessage. It's so frustrating :mad:

xdajoh25

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2013
It worked!

I have this problem as well. However, if I open Messages, let it sit for a few seconds to download all messages, quit it, and then reopen it, the messages seem to be sorted in the correct order.

I don't know if doing that causes problems, though. Even though I have my computer set to use my phone number as my iMessage "caller ID," yesterday it used one of the two email addresses associated with my account when sending a reply to a group. Since that's an address that none of my contacts knew of previously, it's not the case that someone had started messaging me at the email address, causing Messages to switch over to it. I'm wondering if opening Messages, quitting it, and then opening it again, all within a minute, causes the initial "caller ID" to time out at least briefly.

Thank you! It worked :)

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Offline???

Who has the issue of iMessage saying every one of your contacts in the message list is Offline? No message for any contact, phone numbers only.

I have done every fix known on the net for this, and it just reoccurs about once a month. I go to open, and it's as if it stops communicating with the server.

All of my settings are 100% accurate.

Anyone run into this, or know why it happens. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.