Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Speck's PixelSkin HD Case is, in my humble opinion, the Best iPhone 4 case out there. And I was glad that Speck is now shipping one for the iPhone 5.

http://www.speckproducts.com/iphone-case/iphone-5-cases/pixelskin-hd-for-iphone-5.html

But if you need a iPhone 5 case NOW!!!

Try Best Buy. Here's one I found this morning.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketf...025&skuId=6423275&st=iphone 5 case&cp=1&lp=3

8012736026_b2205ed937_c.jpg

8012739961_40f073a065_c.jpg

8012748140_b9e4dd77cb_c.jpg

8012751324_f349cf0a1b_c.jpg

8012739812_227cf38b37_c.jpg

8012748547_a5686882b6_c.jpg

Last edited:

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
I agree, I've been rocking the pixelskin hd since day one on my iPhone 4.

How does the rocket fish compare to the pixelskin? Is it a hard rubbery material like the pixelskin?

SmittS

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
I also picked up the same case. I agree. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the case. I was expecting to use temporary, but I may keep it!

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I agree, I've been rocking the pixelskin hd since day one on my iPhone 4.

How does the rocket fish compare to the pixelskin? Is it a hard rubbery material like the pixelskin?

It's the exact same material just without the waffle back. I may even return the Speck Case that I ordered, the Rocketfish is that good.

iBaloney

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
It's the exact same material just without the waffle back. I may even return the Speck Case that I ordered, the Rocketfish is that good.

Thanks for the post! I ordered 2 cases from SGP in time for when I get my iPhone, but the stupid post office delayed the shipment.

I was starting to get worried that if I did get the phone today it would have to go naked.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2010
After reading this thread I headed directly to bestbuy and got this case, I also compared it to the speck, but the speck covers the speaker and microphone holes in the bottom (perforated), this is awesome, Rocketfish TPU, just like my good old Incipio NGP.

Thanks so much for this post!

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
That Speck Pixelskin back doesn't bother anybody?

I'd feel like I was rubbing my hand over a tire when holding my phone.

mytran80

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2009
it use to be free from apple , kinda hate going back now and having to pay for it for my iPhone 5 lol

captainamerica

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2011
Thanks for this post, the Rocketfish Soft Shell is an amazing case. It's similar to the Belkin Essential 50, which was my favorite 4s case.

tdaks

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
Do you think it will be ok that the camera hole in the back shows more than just the glass and some of the metal backing?

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
Notice the Best Buy case says "New iPhone". They must of been guessing on the name and built the case on the leaked specs.

I like the looks, will check it out tomorrow... Thanks!

Last edited:

zoiks66

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I also just discovered and bought the Rocketfish case at Best Buy. If you were a fan of the Incipio NGP case, you'll love this Rocketfish case.

The strange thing is that the black version of the Rocketfish case carried by my local Best Buy has a matte, semi-transparent back. It's just like the Smoke version of the Incipio NGP case for the iPhone 4 and 4S. I actually like this better as the Apple logo shows through the case.

I can't recommend this case enough. I was a big fan of the Incipio NGP case with my iPhone 4S, and I love this Rocketfish case with my iPhone 5.

EdwardSung

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
I also found a Belkin twin pack at Target (black and white cases) for $20 that is very similar to the Pixelskin -- same material, a pattern on the back (in this case, more of a ribbed pattern) and pretty much the same feel.

Smileyboy

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
I also just discovered and bought the Rocketfish case at Best Buy. If you were a fan of the Incipio NGP case, you'll love this Rocketfish case.

The strange thing is that the black version of the Rocketfish case carried by my local Best Buy has a matte, semi-transparent back. It's just like the Smoke version of the Incipio NGP case for the iPhone 4 and 4S. I actually like this better as the Apple logo shows through the case.

I can't recommend this case enough. I was a big fan of the Incipio NGP case with my iPhone 4S, and I love this Rocketfish case with my iPhone 5.

Got any pics?

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
The strange thing is that the black version of the Rocketfish case carried by my local Best Buy has a matte, semi-transparent back. It's just like the Smoke version of the Incipio NGP case for the iPhone 4 and 4S.
Sounds great, because that was the Incipio case that I had on my 4S and I also liked that you could see the Apple logo through it. Only thing I didn't like about the Incipio was that it slightly polished the stainless steel band of my 4S in a few places. Worries me somewhat given that the iPhone 5's band is anodized.

Still, I might go pick one of these up and see for myself...

zoiks66

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
I don't have anything to take pics with unfortunately (not sure I can post pics anyways, since I just created a forum account). My case looks the same as the OP's pics- just with semi-transparent back, button covers, and lip that hangs over the screen instead of solid black.

sedano06

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2010
After reading this thread I went and bought the case and I'm loving it

Last edited:

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Do you think it will be ok that the camera hole in the back shows more than just the glass and some of the metal backing?

I think it will be fine. I think they made it that way to minimize Flash Wash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.