Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

norushz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Hello all,

My macbook air (late 2010) had a broken keyboard for several weeks from being cleaned with Lysol wipes (interestingly recommended officially by Apple Support). It was completely functional with no other issues than a broken keyboard. I dropped off the laptop to be repaired by Apple and they informed me that the cost would be $800 to repair as the motherboard had to be replaced. I decided not to go ahead with the repair. However, the laptop that I picked up does not turn on or charge and is basically an iBrick.

I have not had much luck discussing this with the Apple Geniuses at the store. What is my next best bet here? Needless to say, when I dropped off the laptop to be repaired, they suggested a $220 repair cost and no risks of getting an iBrick as the final outcome.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If you can, check the serial number on the machine. They may have given you the incorrect machine.

norushz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 22, 2012
Thanks for the advice so far. The serial number is the same. The steps for troubleshooting you have provided will not work as the keyboard is non-functioning to begin with and an external keyboard will not work until the computer turns on. I had setup an automatic bootup at a specific time on a daily basis but this is not working also.

Should I be talking to Apple customer relations at this point? Any #'s or suggestions would be much appreciated.

DevinPitcher

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
Michigan, USA, Earth
Thanks for the advice so far. The serial number is the same. The steps for troubleshooting you have provided will not work as the keyboard is non-functioning to begin with and an external keyboard will not work until the computer turns on. I had setup an automatic bootup at a specific time on a daily basis but this is not working also.

Should I be talking to Apple customer relations at this point? Any #'s or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Call 1-800-MY-APPLE and just ask for Customer Relations. They have to transfer you, and you will get results.

Good luck.

turbotoes

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2010
France
The steps for troubleshooting you have provided will not work as the keyboard is non-functioning to begin with and an external keyboard will not work until the computer turns on.

Some wireless keyboards will work Before the OS loads (microsoft arc, for example) or try a USB board.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.