Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
Alright, so to backup my Family Guy collection and also try out the SD on my iMac, I tried to get the first disc of Family Guy on my computer. So, using Mac the Ripper, I ripped it onto my desktop @ 7.15 GB which seems to me to be the entire DVD. I used Full Eisc Extraction, did not have UOPs disabled.

I then tried to encode it using Handbrake, selecting the entire folder as instructed in searched threads. The only thing I modified was changing the encoder to XViD, and the bitrate to 900. I then let it go overnight.

When I came back, it was just one episode - the first one.

So while typing up this post, I noticed that in Handbrake, it shows the title only being about 22 minute, with only 5 chapters. Why is it only finding the first episode? MactheRipper ripped 7 GB, HandBrake only detects and encodes 1 episode?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Why not use HandBrake straight from the DVD (this is what I do). Also you need to select each episode, one at a time, between encodes in HandBrake.

quackattack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Boise, ID
That's how it works. Handbrake is only ripping the title you selected.

You can change the title in the title menu, and select another episode. You can then rip each episode individually. I do not know of a way to rip them all into one file. Hope that helps!

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
Thanks for the help. Now that I've done the whole process through Handbrake, it is giving me the option to select the episodes, so things seem to be smoothed out. I just need to download a program to play the .avi files - or is there a free plugin for it to play on QuickTime?

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I have another question. MactheRipper installed onto my hard drive, with a .dmg file (could someone explain what this is?) and MactheRipper itself, which I cant' seem to just put in my app, only Eject. Could someone explain how this works? It seems like it should be installable into Applications?

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
Verto said:
I have another question. MactheRipper installed onto my hard drive, with a .dmg file (could someone explain what this is?) and MactheRipper itself, which I cant' seem to just put in my app, only Eject. Could someone explain how this works? It seems like it should be installable into Applications?

A .dmg is a disk image. To install it into your Apps folder, open the .dmg, drag the program icon to your Applications folder, delete the .dmg by dragging it to the trash and viola!

dfinn

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2005
Verto said:
Thanks for the help. Now that I've done the whole process through Handbrake, it is giving me the option to select the episodes, so things seem to be smoothed out. I just need to download a program to play the .avi files - or is there a free plugin for it to play on QuickTime?

Try VLC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.