Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
i just noticed i have "java preferences" in my utilities folder
thing is i havent installed java and i heard id doesnt come anymore with osx since lion

when i click it it just says i dont have java runtime installed and asks if i wish to install it.so how did this thing get on my machine?

Last edited:

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
i just noticed i have "java preferences" in my utilities folder
thing is i havent installed java and i heard id doesnt come anymore with osx since lion

when i click it it just says i dont have java runtime installed and asks if i wish to install it.so how did this thing get on my machine?

Java is NOT installed on your system. You clicked "Java Preferences" so it assumes that you want to set these preferences and to do so it needs to download and install Java. So, it is offering to do that for you.

rmbpuser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 1, 2012
Java is NOT installed on your system. You clicked "Java Preferences" so it assumes that you want to set these preferences and to do so it needs to download and install Java. So, it is offering to do that for you.

oh so thats normal. good to know, thanks :)

macuser1232

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
I believe java 1.6 should be preinstalled on your Mac. Then, it's up to you if you want to install java 1.8. I'm running Mountain Lion.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It's not preinstalled. But if you are using any software that needs it, it will be installed automatically. For me it happens at the first login after the upgrade as I use CrashPlan which starts right away in the background.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I believe java 1.6 should be preinstalled on your Mac. Then, it's up to you if you want to install java 1.8. I'm running Mountain Lion.

Nope... anything that shipped new with Lion or later does not have Java installed from the factory.

Last edited:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Hm weird. What if I upgraded to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard? Nah. I think I just forgot that I installed it.

Snow Leopard had it installed by default... so if you had it there and upgraded, then you still had it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Snow Leopard had it installed by default... so if you had it there and upgraded, then you still had it.

Ok. Even if I did a clean install?

No. If you had Snow Leopard (which came with Java) and "upgraded" to Lion/Mountain Lion, you would of course still have Java. But if you had Snow Leopard and did a true fresh/clean install of Lion/Mountain Lion by erasing the drive and installing nothing but Lion/Mountain Lion you would not have Java.

So if you have Java under Mountain Lion you either did an upgrade install from Snow Leopard or you installed Java yourself.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.