PDA

View Full Version : Spotlight Search Broken!

SawceBaws
Sep 30, 2012, 11:01 AM
Hey there guys.

I have been using Lion fine for a year now, until a while ago when I tried searching for something using spotlight. Spotlight was super slow, and only revealed a few results. I have no idea whats going on.

I used a program called "Spotless" to delete the spotlight index and rebuild it, but takes around 12 hours to get halfway, and then just gets stuck at 20 Mins remaining. I have literally no idea what to do.

Also, Spotlight works perfectly when its in the process of "rebuilding the index", however as soon as I force stop it from reindexing the problem occurs again. I used terminal commands such as sudo mdutil -E / to rebuild the index, however the result is the same. It takes forever then freezes. Strangely enough, it also doesn't cause any slowdowns with my mac when its rebuilding the index.

I am literally going out of my mind trying to find a solution for this. Please help. Thank you :(

NumbInLA
Nov 30, 2013, 04:46 PM
The second line is key for this to work!

sudo mdutil -i on /
sudo rm -rf /.Spotlight*
sudo mdutil -E /

Click on Spotlight search, you should see its indexing status + time estimate. After the re-indexing is done, your search should be back to fully functional.

Cheers!