PDA

View Full Version : Error when syncing iPod through USB 2.0 on front of Power Mac G5

supergod
Aug 26, 2005, 11:19 AM
I recieved a colour 20gig iPod today. I tried syncing it with the included USB cable through the front USB port on my computer. What happens is that it gets about three or four songs in and then stops displaying the message:

Attempting to copy to the disk "...s iPod" failed. An unkown error occurred (-36).

To check where the problem was originating I tried syncing the iPod with my brothers old Firewire dock: no problem. However, I am going away to unversity and so I will need to either be able to sync with the included USB 2.0 cable or have to buy a firewire cable for myself.

My questions are, is this a common or known problem originating from either the iPod or from the model of computer? Second of all, will Apple give a free firewire cable if I can prove the issue to them?

supergod
Aug 26, 2005, 12:23 PM
Called Apple up: they're sending me a new USB cable.

camomac
Aug 26, 2005, 01:39 PM
I had the exact same problem with my 30gig ipod photo.
I plug it into the front port on my G5 (see spec's below) and I would get disk errors.
This occured ONLY after installing Tiger (10.4.0) it worked fine in Panther.

The only way I could get it to work was to use a different USB port (one in the back)

I haven't tried it since 10.4.2... I will when I get home tonight...

camomac
Aug 26, 2005, 01:40 PM
Called Apple up: they're sending me a new USB cable.

PLEASE let me know if this fixes the problem.

supergod
Aug 26, 2005, 01:46 PM
Can do.

DEXTERITY
Aug 26, 2005, 05:43 PM
thats the same problem I am having. going to call them as well.

edit: called and must have talked to someone who was completely helpless.
he basically told me that was my one free call (had no idea I only got one call with the warranty, would have saved it for something else) and that I need to reinstall itunes. However, I must have 60 different play lists with different songs in each one and can't afford to lose them. I thought you could back those up, he said no. great waist of time.

eva01
Aug 26, 2005, 06:04 PM
I have the same problem as well no matter what it fails so i use back port

supergod
Aug 26, 2005, 06:38 PM
thats the same problem I am having. going to call them as well.

edit: called and must have talked to someone who was completely helpless.
he basically told me that was my one free call (had no idea I only got one call with the warranty, would have saved it for something else) and that I need to reinstall itunes. However, I must have 60 different play lists with different songs in each one and can't afford to lose them. I thought you could back those up, he said no. great waist of time.

You can back up playlists. Also, that is a total abuse of playlists. You should be ashamed!

My playlists:

50s-60s pop, 70s pop, 80s pop, 90s -0-, 2000s pop, Electronic, Hip Hop, Jazz, Score and Classical

DEXTERITY
Aug 26, 2005, 06:58 PM
told u he didn't know anything lol.

well I have my playlist seperated into reggae riddims so I know whats what. So it isn't really abusing it it has each new track seperated as it should be:) so if I use export song list is that backing up my playlist or do I choose export library? and will it put my songs back in it if I reinstall itunes? I really can't afford the hours to go and select everything and put it where it should be.

supergod
Aug 26, 2005, 08:17 PM
told u he didn't know anything lol.

well I have my playlist seperated into reggae riddims so I know whats what. So it isn't really abusing it it has each new track seperated as it should be:) so if I use export song list is that backing up my playlist or do I choose export library? and will it put my songs back in it if I reinstall itunes? I really can't afford the hours to go and select everything and put it where it should be.

Wait, are you Mac or are you Wintel? On mac, simply backing up the iTunes folder should work as it contains the Library Data files. I think those files used to be kept under documents though.

DEXTERITY
Aug 26, 2005, 08:29 PM
mac all the way. if I can back up the entire folder, that would be great. Something tells me that isn't going to fix the ipod problem. I just didn't trust what this particular Apple rep said. he didn't sound too confident. You know when you get someone who sounds like they are telling you the correct thing to do; He didn't.

however, I need to back up that stuff anyways, so if that will work, let me know. thank you, apprecaite your help.

JasonDawg18
Aug 26, 2005, 10:02 PM
Hi, I have a new, 20GB ipod color and have had the same problems. If I continually click update, the song that the update stopped on will eventually add itself to the ipod, but then it will stop again a few songs down the row.

I talked to Apple tech support to no avail. The girl I spoke with was CLUELESS!

I've ordered a new cord through Ebay and I'm going to see if that solves the problem. I sure hope it does because that stuff is frustrating.

My wife has a PC and an iPod mini and had NO problems. I have a beautiful Powerbook G4 and have had too many problems with this stupid ipod.

Please let us know if your new cord fixes your problem.

Thanks,
Jason

DEXTERITY
Aug 26, 2005, 10:15 PM
clueless is the word of the day. too bad I waisted my one free phone call (which I wasn't aware of) on someone who was of no help. So much for not getting the extended warranty and unlimited phone calls. I guess I am forced to get it now, if I want help.

You would think if your product has a year warranty you would get more than one F'n tech call (they should mention that before you ask for help from some clueless idiot). Sometimes, I really hate Apple. Even the rep commented on how many Apple products I had and was impressed. And thats what I get in return. bastards

camomac
Aug 27, 2005, 02:01 PM
clueless is the word of the day. too bad I waisted my one free phone call (which I wasn't aware of) on someone who was of no help. So much for not getting the extended warranty and unlimited phone calls. I guess I am forced to get it now, if I want help.

You would think if your product has a year warranty you would get more than one F'n tech call (they should mention that before you ask for help from some clueless idiot). Sometimes, I really hate Apple. Even the rep commented on how many Apple products I had and was impressed. And thats what I get in return. bastards

i'm not sure i would believe the tech. that seems like BS. i would ask to speak to somebody else..

DEXTERITY
Aug 27, 2005, 09:39 PM
I agree with you, but now I have to pay $45 or whatever it is to call back? that is bull.......

camomac
Aug 28, 2005, 02:19 PM
I have the same problem as well no matter what it fails so i use back port

have you tried a new USB cable? did it help (if you did)

i would like to know before i get one.

supergod
Aug 29, 2005, 06:57 PM
The new USB cable did in fact help. I was able to determind this before they sent me a new one because my brother had a spare. Works fine. I got the one from Apple very promptly thereafter and it as well works fine. Nice of them to send one out like that.

DEXTERITY
Aug 29, 2005, 07:13 PM
is it the same exact cable that came with the ipod, but just a new one? too bad they wouldn't send me one instead of telling me to reinstall itunes.

supergod
Aug 29, 2005, 07:49 PM
is it the same exact cable that came with the ipod, but just a new one? too bad they wouldn't send me one instead of telling me to reinstall itunes.

Yes it is.

DEXTERITY
Aug 29, 2005, 11:19 PM
interesting. thanks..

Heb1228
Aug 29, 2005, 11:33 PM
This is interesting, I was having problems with using my iPod as a hard drive over USB. With 2 different Macs. I just used my old firewire cable and it works fine. I figured the problem was that the USB interface was screwing something up, but maybe I have a bad cable as well.

JasonDawg18
Aug 30, 2005, 03:50 PM
I had a similar problem (see post above).

I bought a cord (firewire and USB2 to iPod) on eBay and now my iPod works great. I imported over 1300 songs onto it with NO problem this afternoon. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and ask them to send me a new USB cord.

Jason

camomac
Aug 31, 2005, 12:19 PM
thanks so much for the update! i was kinda upset thinking there might be something wrong with my mac. i am glad to know that it might be as simple as the cable.

:D

alimc
Sep 13, 2005, 03:15 AM
Just got a 2.7 G5 powermac, with a 20 gig ipod colour photo..... have exactly the same problem with the front USB port. Tried the back and it was fine.
Ended up getting a USB hub for the back, and ignoring the front (if the back works fine, then it can't be the cable, so I assumed it must be a problem with the G5 port itself)
Al.

jedijoe
Oct 25, 2005, 03:55 AM
Same problem. Front port won't sync. Back ports are fine. Double checked it with my PowerBook, sync'd fine. Either the cable is truely broken and it just happens to work on those other ports, or something is wrong with the front port of the PowerMac.

Disappointing this problem on the first night of my first PowerMac, I ever owned. :(

I post back anything I find out.

cheers

jedijoe
Dec 9, 2005, 06:09 PM
Well, unfortunately, i got my 30GB iPod photo stolen from a graduate research lab. I replaced it with a black 30gb ipod video and now my front usb port works.

Before i got the new ipod, i also tried multiple usb cables with the ipod photo, all failing..