PDA

View Full Version : kext cache not root?

davidlv
Oct 1, 2012, 04:50 PM
10,8,2 ML Console error:
2012/10/02 6:36:14.164 com.apple.kextd[18]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

Repair possible?

mrapplegate
Oct 1, 2012, 05:25 PM
10,8,2 ML Console error:
2012/10/02 6:36:14.164 com.apple.kextd[18]: Can't create kext cache under / - owner not root.

Repair possible?

Check it out. Fix permissions on the disk. It looks like a simple permissions error on the cache.

davidlv
Oct 1, 2012, 05:29 PM
Check it out. Fix permissions on the disk. It looks like a simple permissions error on the cache.
Thnks for he reply
Tried that, using disk itility, both while running from the HD and then from the repait partition too. No fix. :(
Deleted the system and user caches with Onyx, no fix. :(
I suspect the permissions are wrong for the com.apple.kextd file. but I do not know what they should be. :eek:

mrapplegate
Oct 1, 2012, 05:30 PM
Tried that, no fix. :(
Deleted the system and user caches with Onyx, no fix. :(
I suspect the permissions are wrong for the com.apple.kextd file. but I do not know what they should be. :eek:

Actually I was thinking the cache at root ( / ) had the permission error.
So when you can it there were no errors at the cache folder?

davidlv
Oct 1, 2012, 05:32 PM
Actually I was thinking the cache at root ( / ) had the permission error.

Do you know how to fix that?

mrapplegate
Oct 1, 2012, 05:33 PM
Do you know how to fix that?

During the disk permission check if it was not correct it should be fixed automatically.

davidlv
Oct 1, 2012, 05:39 PM
During the disk permission check if it was not correct it should be fixed automatically.
Our posts/edits are getting out of sync! LOL
I have the same error un console after running Disk Util's permission repair.:(

mrapplegate
Oct 1, 2012, 05:40 PM
Our posts/edits are getting out of sync! LOL
I have the same error un console after running Disk Util's permission repair.:(

A Google search of " Can't create kext cache under /" is showing a lot of results you might try. Below looks good.

http://paikialog.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/canít-create-kext-cache-under-owner-not-root/

davidlv
Oct 1, 2012, 05:55 PM
A Google search of " Can't create kext cache under /" is showing a lot of results you might try. Below looks good.

http://paikialog.wordpress.com/2011/08/23/canít-create-kext-cache-under-owner-not-root/

Goggle Guru! (3 deep bows), that worked, no more console errors! :)
Thanks a bunch.:cool::cool::cool:

mrapplegate
Oct 1, 2012, 06:01 PM
Goggle Guru! (3 deep bows), that worked, no more console errors! :)
Thanks a bunch.:cool::cool::cool:

Glad it helped.

MikB
Mar 9, 2013, 01:56 PM

What could the reason be that a simple "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" wouldn't fix that?

mrapplegate
Mar 9, 2013, 03:53 PM
What could the reason be that a simple "sudo diskutil repairPermissions /" wouldn't fix that?

I don't know to be honest. I did not look into the issue other than a quick Google search for the OP.

Quad5Ny
Mar 9, 2013, 04:15 PM
Open Terminal
Type "sudo chown root:admin /"
Then type "sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions" (this will force a rebuild of the kext cache)