PDA

View Full Version : Program associations (correct icons) not showing on desktop files?

mwalsh5757
Oct 3, 2012, 12:46 PM
So I have MS Office and Acrobat X installed on this Macbook Pro and the files created in both look like they should (correct looking icons, I mean) everywhere else on the hard drive, including in folders placed on the desktop. The also open with the correct applications.

However, files placed on the desktop show with a generic looking icon, though they do open with the correct applications. Does anyone know if this can be corrected so they show with the appropriate application icon?

I did search a little bit, but I didn't find this referenced. Apologies if it has, in fact, been answered already.

rrm998
Oct 3, 2012, 08:10 PM
The generic Icon is showing you a little preview of the document. If you turn off "show icon Preview" on the desktop view options, you will get the standard icon.

mwalsh5757
Oct 4, 2012, 03:25 AM
The generic Icon is showing you a little preview of the document. If you turn off "show icon Preview" on the desktop view options, you will get the standard icon.

Cool. Thanks!

wrldwzrd89
Oct 4, 2012, 09:20 AM
In case someone else is having this problem and is getting completely BLANK icons instead of document previews or standard icons, the cause is a corrupted view settings file, called .DS_Store, in the Desktop folder. Deleting this, then relaunching the Finder, will clear it up. The trick is finding the file in question, since it's hidden.