Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
That when you start azureus, 2 programs are starting. Azureus and it's lancher. But when you quit Azureus, the lancher stays open. To solve the problem, just open the Activity monitor when you quit azureus, and see all the processes. You will see that the Azureus lancher is still open and it consumes 400 mbytes of virtual memory!

You can quit it without worry, though...

Anyone else has observed this?

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
Thanks for the heads up!
I normally don't use this app - but downloaded it today actually!
Was thinking of going back to it - due to some limitations I am getting tired of with the official client.

I grabbed 2.3.0.4 today - but noticed as I replaced it the version I had from earlier in the year that I have v 3.0? Did they change their version numbering system?

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I just leave it running. If my HD space was down to 400MB I might have a problem with it taking up virtual memory, but otherwise, it's not a big deal.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
Lacero said:
I just leave it running. If my HD space was down to 400MB I might have a problem with it taking up virtual memory, but otherwise, it's not a big deal.
Well, I'm not afraid to leave it open in my G5. But I am afraid to leave it open in my iMacs. The fact is that you can't possibly know what other consequenses this may have apart from taking 400 mbytes of VMemory. So, you better close it (or you can make a script to close it...).

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
if you're afraid that it will have any negative effects from running Azureus (and whatever other apps it uses) then simply don't use it at all. i just use the official BT client - no probs.

but most BitTorrent clients do use lots of memory/RAM. so i don't think it's that big of a deal.

mcmillan

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2004
I use BitTorrent anyway. It easily detects existing files, and seems, more simple to me, still does everything I need. Tells me the log, seeds, peers, status. Azerus seems more unstable to me.

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
cb911 said:
if you're afraid that it will have any negative effects from running Azureus (and whatever other apps it uses) then simply don't use it at all. i just use the official BT client - no probs.

but most BitTorrent clients do use lots of memory/RAM. so i don't think it's that big of a deal.
No way... I have learned to use azureus and optimize it for my connection. It simply has the most features of any other torrent client out there, and that's not just my opinion. Yes, it may hog resources, but in my G5 that isn't a problem.

Besides, the support for azureus is bigger than the support on other clients.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
This is might be off topic here...but does anyone experience problem with Azureus 2.3.0.4 and Tiger 10.4.2?

Each time I use Azureus and when I need to retstart or shut down Tiger give me a Kernel Panic while it shutting down.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I love Azureus' features, but it's really a pretty annoyingly unstable application. It often hangs when I quit slowing my whole system down until I can kill it. When it does work though, it's great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.