Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
A few weeks ago I discovered the there is a bug in QuickTime 7 (Mac) that prevents h.264 video being displayed properly in QT or Safari, but other apps usually display it properly. Anyone who's dealt with this knows exactly what I'm talking about: the video appears to have some sort of gray mask over it.

The only solution I've found is to change the color preferences for your display to Apple RGB (or other profiles), but if possible I'd rather have the video display properly without any work for the user. I know that there's got t be a way: I've seen other videos in h.264 display perfectly fine in QT (namely, Green Day music videos, Apple HD video, etc.).

Is there any solution to this problem that's keeping me away from using h.264?
-Chase

Whigga Spitta

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2004
Can you say Chi-City??
i just noticed the same thing today, first time ever compressing a video using h.264. i thought i just messed something up in FCP, but now that you say it, it looks like the problem is in Safari or QT.

if this is a bug, i would love to see a solution, or if not, i could use some help.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Lacero said:
Not yet. I've been waiting since April.

Yeah, seems like there isn't a real solution yet. Hopefully Apple will get their butts in gear and fix this, since it's not apparent (from what I know) in the Windows version of QT 7 (and it's in beta!).

cwright, what are you using to encode?
-Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.