Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
Hi, I have a July 2005 dual 2.0GHz G5, and I was looking at buying another hard disk, I already have one Lacie d2, but then I realised I still have an empty internal drive bay, "bay b".

Looking on apples website, they only recommend buying hard disks for them, as well as guide screws.

These guide screws are not standard are they? They're apple only? Or is this the way S-ATA hard disks are now?

So, am I ok to buy any old SATA hard disk, for example here, or should i get only an apple certified one? Do I need to buy guide screws from apple? How do I do this?

Cheers,

Hob

hob

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
wordmunger said:
this makes it look pretty straightforward and doesn't seem to suggest you need apple-brand screws.
I read that already - what I thought was that it was a little misleading, and would be assuming you're using only an apple drive - which comes with special screws (I assume)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Every G5 I have seen so far has a set of 4 mounting screws with their hemispherical rubberized mounts, parked in screwholes in the chassis off to the side of the drive bay. All I have ever needed to do is to get a bare SATA drive and put these screws into the mounting screwholes & slide the puppy in. You can choose any 3.5" SATA drive, I like the Seagate Barracudas and the Maxtor DiamondMax 10's. Make sure you buy from a seller who is offering the full 5 or 3 year manufacturers warranty. You don't want an OEM or "pull" drive with zero or one year warranty.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
CanadaRAM said:
Every G5 I have seen so far has a set of 4 mounting screws with their hemispherical rubberized mounts, parked in screwholes in the chassis off to the side of the drive bay. All I have ever needed to do is to get a bare SATA drive and put these screws into the mounting screwholes & slide the puppy in. You can choose any 3.5" SATA drive, I like the Seagate Barracudas and the Maxtor DiamondMax 10's. Make sure you buy from a seller who is offering the full 5 or 3 year manufacturers warranty. You don't want an OEM or "pull" drive with zero or one year warranty.

What I said, and what he said. :)

Just look to the left of the "b" bay.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i'd go for smasung or seagate, maxtors are faster but just not reliable.

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
I just installed a Seagate 250 in my dual 2.0 G5. It took about 25 seconds, and required no additional parts/cables. Everything needed is included right inside the case (as you guys have already said). I'd wish you good luck with the installation, but I don't think you'll need it :rolleyes: ~Josh

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
uaaerospace said:
I just installed a Seagate 250 in my dual 2.0 G5. It took about 25 seconds, and required no additional parts/cables. Everything needed is included right inside the case (as you guys have already said). I'd wish you good luck with the installation, but I don't think you'll need it :rolleyes: ~Josh

Are you gonna transfer your user files to the new drive or install software on it? ... Just curious

uaaerospace

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Alabama
Hoef said:
Are you gonna transfer your user files to the new drive or install software on it? ... Just curious

I purchased and installed Tiger on the new drive. I'm going to transfer from the other disk or just reinstall my apps and use the old 160 GB seagate for a scratch disk for FCP, Photoshop, iTunes, and iPhoto.

lol...I've not had much time to work on it though, so right now I just have Tiger installed on the 250 and all of the apps are still on the old drive. In fact, I can even boot into 10.3.9 (which I've had to do a few times because my serial numbers to my software are at home [I'm at college]). I tried dragging my app support folder to the new boot drive, but it didn't carry over the registration for all of the programs, so I've got to get the boxes and stuff. Oh well, no big deal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.