Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
I finally got my keyboard hooked up to my new powermac g5. In garageband, i recorded a song through the keyboard and when i go to the notation view, i want to print the score...is this possible, ive trtied command P, and that doesnt work...??/??????HEEElEPLEPELELP

catchbar

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2005
me too!

I have this same problem! Any tips? I can't use the keyboard with SmartScore because it won't record without a midi-out! This is an awful dilemna! Anyone?

pianodude123

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
in the internet
catchbar said:
I have this same problem! Any tips? I can't use the keyboard with SmartScore because it won't record without a midi-out! This is an awful dilemna! Anyone?

Are there any third party apps that can do this that anyone knows of...i found out that garageband cant print the score...but i think logic can. However, i dont want to spend near 1000 dollars just to do that!!???

tag

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2005
pianodude123 said:
I finally got my keyboard hooked up to my new powermac g5. In garageband, i recorded a song through the keyboard and when i go to the notation view, i want to print the score...is this possible, ive trtied command P, and that doesnt work...??/??????HEEElEPLEPELELP

Sadly it's not possible to directly print out musical notation from Garageband(as complained about in many Garageband reviews that I have seen), if you wanted to stick solely to apple products I do believe you can with Logic Express/Pro though.

I myself just got a midi keyboard two weeks ago and this thread peaked my interest. :D I did some searching and it seems the only real option seems to be getting a program that is specifically for musical notation which can then export midi files to Garageband. The only two I found after a quick search were Harmony Assistant and Easybeat, though both do cost some money. Maybe someone out there knows of a freeware app that will do the same thing.

Heres a quick quote about the limited notation abillity from macworld..

Other promising features that could use just a touch more refinement are GarageBand’s new track-notation view and pitch-shifting functions. The notation view errs on the side of producing legible scores at the expense of rhythmic accuracy—it missed a few triplets and dotted rhythms in my tests. And you can neither change meters and key signatures in these scores nor print the scores. Amateur musicians will appreciate the resulting scores’ clarity, but pros needing more notation capabilities should look to Logic Express, Mark of the Unicorn’s Digital Performer, or Steinberg’s Cubase.

daniel hatch93

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2008
yeah, i'm completely new to macs but i think i have found out how to print good quality sheet music off garageband

in mucking around i found out that you can convert it into a pdf and print from there

from garageband go to file print... then on the bottom left there is a icon titled pdf
hit that and a menu drops down click save as pdf
choose where to, the title stuff like that and click save

and that saves any instruments sheet music
you'd just have to repeat it for different instruments
its fairly quick and easy too

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.