Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GTghost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
California
I have a 2012 MBA with the 256GB SSD, I was wondering if I can also put a regular 500GB HDD in combination with the SSD.

Or can I get the SSD from the MBA and put it into a MBP with a HDD, so it will have the SSD(from MBA) and HDD.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a 2012 MBA with the 256GB SSD, I was wondering if I can also put a regular 500GB HDD in combination with the SSD.
If you mean can you use an external HDD with your MBA, the answer is yes. Obviously, you can't install a HDD in your MBA.
Or can I get the SSD from the MBA and put it into a MBP with a HDD, so it will have the SSD(from MBA) and HDD.
No, if you want a SSD in a MBP, you can buy one to install. The flash memory from the MBA cannot be installed in a MBP with a HDD.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
What I meant for the first part is can I put an internal hdd with the mba ssd still in?
No, there is no place to install any HDD in the MBA. From the MBA User Guide:
Your MacBook Air does not have any user-serviceable or user-replaceable parts.

Last edited:

GTghost

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2010
California
No, there is no place to install any HDD in the MBA. From the MBA User Guide:

One more question, since I don't have the pentalobe screwdriver, I cant check how the ram is setup. My MBA has the 8GB from Apple, would you know the setup, is it 2 sticks of 4GB or just 1 8GB? Reason im asking is because I got an extra 2 sticks of 4GB ddr3.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
One more question, since I don't have the pentalobe screwdriver, I cant check how the ram is setup. My MBA has the 8GB from Apple, would you know the setup, is it 2 sticks of 4GB or just 1 8GB? Reason im asking is because I got an extra 2 sticks of 4GB ddr3.
The RAM in the MBA is soldered to the logic board. You cannot upgrade it. There are no user-serviceable parts in the MBA that you can change without voiding your warranty.

halledise

macrumors 68000

About This Mac/More Info/Memory
plus like GGJstudios say - you cannot upgrade memory in an Air and 8gb is the max anyway

wolfpuppies3

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2012
Virginia, USA
MBAs are not upgradable after the fact. That is why you have to carefully consider exactly what you need your machine to do, factor in growth possibilities and software changes and demands before you select your MBA.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space

The ssd in your Air looks like this. It's impossible to put any laptop style ssd or hdd in the MBA and nothing from an Air will fit in a MBP.

Dale

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
That part says nothing about warranty at all! If you buy an MBA it will come with a small leaflet titled "MacBook Air - Important Product Information Guide". This holds the warranty on the last 3 pages (incl. the back side). It states that you have no warranty when somebody who isn't from Apple or an AASP did the upgrades and it caused damage. Since there is nobody from those two (Apple, AASP) that will do any upgrades to your MBA... There is also a part about not having warranty if there is damage when you operated it beyond Apple's guidelines.

Btw, there is no user guide that comes with the Mac any more. OS X points to the online pdf version from "About This Mac" > "More info" > "Support" > "User Manual".

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
That part says nothing about warranty at all! If you buy an MBA it will come with a small leaflet titled "MacBook Air - Important Product Information Guide". This holds the warranty on the last 3 pages (incl. the back side). It states that you have no warranty when somebody who isn't from Apple or an AASP did the upgrades and it caused damage. Since there is nobody from those two (Apple, AASP) that will do any upgrades to your MBA... There is also a part about not having warranty if there is damage when you operated it beyond Apple's guidelines.
http://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/mac-english.html
This warranty does not apply: (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple;
If it's not something Apple considers a user-serviceable or user-replaceable part, the alteration voids the warranty.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Not quite because your quote only applies to alterations that change the functionality. Upgrades do not do this, modifications do.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Not quite because your quote only applies to alterations that change the functionality. Upgrades do not do this, modifications do.
It says "functionality or capability", which upgrading the SSD would do. You can argue all you want, but unauthorized modifications definitely do void the warranty. Whether someone gets away with it or not is another matter.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
And as usual you are misreading somebody elses posts. I do not disagree with things voiding the warranty, Apple is quite clear about it. I'm only telling you that you are using the wrong quotes to support that claim.

Also, there is no need to quote the last post in a thread. Just wasted additional space in both the thread and the database.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
And as usual you are misreading somebody elses posts. I do not disagree with things voiding the warranty, Apple is quite clear about it. I'm only telling you that you are using the wrong quotes to support that claim.

Also, there is no need to quote the last post in a thread. Just wasted additional space in both the thread and the database.
I quote so there's no question which post I'm responding to, and to prevent misunderstanding if someone edits their post, as has happened frequently. The Apple information I quoted applies, whether from the User Guide or from the information currently supplied with MBAs. The information has not changed.

The same information I quoted earlier also appears in the MacBook Air (Mid 2012) - Important Product Information Guide:
Your MacBook Air does not have any user-serviceable parts. If you need service, contact Apple or take your MacBook Air to an Apple Authorized Service Provider.

This warranty does not apply: (g) to an Apple Product that has been modified to alter functionality or capability without the written permission of Apple;

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.