PDA

View Full Version : Apple is selling a Power Mac G4 for $2,042 ...

Jessica Lares
Oct 16, 2012, 07:22 AM
Someone spotted this...

http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_107689/product/M8642C/A

AQUADock
Oct 16, 2012, 07:32 AM
Someone spotted this...

Not bad although it seems slightly expensive. ;)

MAC MAN JW
Oct 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
Someone spotted this...

If i had that much $ laying around i would just like to buy it and see if apple really ships a Powermac to me or if it was a mistake in the online store!. Now we can all email apple and say you sell it so you have to support it (New Updates/Software):D

Also they are selling iBook's http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_107689/product/M9846LL/A

orestes1984
Oct 16, 2012, 09:36 AM
Me thinks its a bug ;) the order numbers work for a few of the machines, see what else you can find...

LOLZpersonok
Oct 16, 2012, 11:14 AM
Interesting that they're advertising it there as if it were better and faster than the newer Macs...I wonder what would happen if I just clicked "Add to Cart" and paid for it...Just to see what I'd get.

joepunk
Oct 16, 2012, 11:19 AM
Shows up when I add it to the cart. I too would be interested in finding out if one could really pay for it. But, I would be more interested in Apples response :D

666sheep
Oct 16, 2012, 12:48 PM
What bug?! Think different ;) Apple just trying to get some share in collectors market :p

skateny
Oct 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
If i had that much $ laying around i would just like to buy it and see if apple really ships a Powermac to me or if it was a mistake in the online store!. Now we can all email apple and say you sell it so you have to support it (New Updates/Software):D

Also they are selling iBook's http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_107689/product/M9846LL/A

Gotta be a mistake. Can't see them offering these without support. And if true, they'd likely announce PowerPC prior to offering these products.

Stay tuned. . .

orestes1984
Oct 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
I added 20 Power Macs to my cart, they want $40000 apparently. The cart works I can go through to the checkout page, let's see which one of us is willing to make an order to see what Apples response is. :rolleyes:

PowerPCMacMan
Oct 16, 2012, 01:16 PM
If this is not a typo, I might get one.. has anyone checked the USA apple store to see if the MDD G4 is on that site?

Thanks

PPCMM

666sheep
Oct 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
OMG, it's uber-rarity! First time I clicked on link in OP, I didn't pay attention to the picture... ...and it's 733 MDD! :eek: :eek: :eek: I understand that price now ;)

skateny
Oct 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
Nothing on Google about this, though I still believe it's a mistake.

Apple stopped "thinking different" about such things a long time ago. One of the casualties of financial and corporate success.

Braniff747SP
Oct 16, 2012, 03:19 PM

How did you find it in the Store?

Intell
Oct 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
I'm extremely tempted to order the iBook one. Wonder what'll arrive at my doorstep if anything actually does.

MAC MAN JW
Oct 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
How did you find it in the Store?

I did a search on the apple online store page (Up in the gray bar at the top of the page) and just typed in G4 i also tried G3 and G5 but no macs came up. I tried this on the USA version of the store and only The mini DVI to VGA (And DVI) adapter comes up.:)

Liquinn
Oct 16, 2012, 03:52 PM
I'm extremely tempted to order the iBook one. Wonder what'll arrive at my doorstep if anything actually does.
True, they'll be selling a G5 or a G4 Cube next lol.

"512MB memory (DDR333 SDRAM)
40GB Ultra ATA hard drive"

And to think that was once top-of-the-range specs.

MAC MAN JW
Oct 16, 2012, 03:57 PM

If anything my guess would be a MacBook Pro. That would be cool to know if the iBook apple is selling is really what there shipping:D

WardC
Oct 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
Hold your horses folks. Apple isn't getting them in for eight more days. Then you can bathe in your two thousand dollar G4 glory ;-)

rjcalifornia
Oct 16, 2012, 04:40 PM

Ok, it says it has a scrolling pad... is that true? Does ibook G4 come with a scrolling track pad?

California
Oct 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
Ok, it says it has a scrolling pad... is that true? Does ibook G4 come with a scrolling track pad?

Yes it did. Only the last revision of the 12" and the 14" iBooks (mid 2005) came with s trackpad, sudden motion sensor etc.

Boy that old apple iBook price was steep. I bought one new for $899 in late 2005.

skateny
Oct 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
Hold your horses folks. Apple isn't getting them in for eight more days. Then you can bathe in your two thousand dollar G4 glory ;-)

Probably will take Apple a few days to buy up and restore all these old Macs and iBooks on eBay at a discount.v:rolleyes:

Orange Furball
Oct 16, 2012, 09:35 PM
If only I had $1300 laying around. I miss my iBook

orestes1984
Oct 16, 2012, 10:01 PM
Someone hurry up and put their money where there mouth is :D

4JNA
Oct 16, 2012, 10:24 PM
quantum leap processing power, ultra efficient system architecture...

i was unaware that the G4 possessed quantum leap processing... not bad for an aging machine! i'm guessing by ultra efficient system architecture they mean 'fans loud enough to make you cry' straight away. fast bus and louder than one by a mile and stuff. with pretty shiny doors. always loved that look.

i'd just like to actually have one that wasn't all scratched to hell. could never afford a new one back when, so when through lots of used ones instead.

cool trip in the way back machine. :apple:

PowerMacFan
Oct 16, 2012, 10:39 PM
If only I had $1300 laying around. I miss my iBook

i loved the iBook besides eMacs we also had iBook G4s in my high school i always wanted a iBook. However no i no longer need a laptop i never go anywhere that opts me to bring a laptop if i do i bring my Windows laptop i use for games that my Pentium 4 cannot handle :P

chibiterasu
Oct 17, 2012, 01:59 AM
If anyone can order one or doesn't mind missing there money for 2 weeks because you can always use apples 2 week return policly. I would order one (and then send it back lol) but I'm in the uk :(

skateny
Oct 17, 2012, 11:52 AM
If anyone can order one or doesn't mind missing there money for 2 weeks because you can always use apples 2 week return policly. I would order one (and then send it back lol) but I'm in the uk :(

The Power Mac and iBook are still listed on the site.

I'd just call the 800 number, but not able to do so right now.

Anyways, pretty steep prices for gear that's been sitting around for 7+ years.

chibiterasu
Oct 17, 2012, 01:28 PM
The Power Mac and iBook are still listed on the site.

I'd just call the 800 number, but not able to do so right now.

Anyways, pretty steep prices for gear that's been sitting around for 7+ years.

I know there it looks like they have been there for a long time there is an unanswered question from 2010 on one of them lol.

Oh yer its a lot thats why I said I would return it in the 2 weeks if I ordered one but it would be great for laughs:)

keysersoze
Oct 17, 2012, 06:07 PM
I know there it looks like they have been there for a long time there is an unanswered question from 2010 on one of them lol.

Oh yer its a lot thats why I said I would return it in the 2 weeks if I ordered one but it would be great for laughs:)

No one here's going to try to buy it.... because we're all afraid we might actually GET it. :D

rjcalifornia
Oct 17, 2012, 11:09 PM
No one here's going to try to buy it.... because we're all afraid we might actually GET it. :D

It isn't that bad, I mean you could actually demand support since you will get it from the store...

spork183
Oct 17, 2012, 11:25 PM
punched in my zip code and it said "this is not a valid entry." The server taking orders is a Workgroup Server 8550/200. :D

potatis
Oct 18, 2012, 07:00 AM
hope it comes with lots of :apple: stickers...

Jethryn Freyman
Oct 18, 2012, 08:35 AM
pffft, but can it run Crysis?

WardC
Oct 18, 2012, 10:00 AM
At least they can run Classic. Mac OS X is a pile of crap, you can't even change the default theme, you are stuck with Aqua.

Classic was much more robust in the ability to modify the GUI and tweak the look of everything. You are also stuck with the Dock in OS X and can't do much about modifying the Apple menu, or seeing icons in the contextual menus....there are many things about Classic I absolutely love that Apple obliterated in OS X.

ihuman:D
Oct 18, 2012, 11:16 AM
At least they can run Classic. Mac OS X is a pile of crap, you can't even change the default theme, you are stuck with Aqua.

Classic was much more robust in the ability to modify the GUI and tweak the look of everything. You are also stuck with the Dock in OS X and can't do much about modifying the Apple menu, or seeing icons in the contextual menus....there are many things about Classic I absolutely love that Apple obliterated in OS X.

You can edit the theme...

sos85
Oct 18, 2012, 08:52 PM
It is a little expensive, I only want to replace my Mac 13 with a 1200-1500$ machine.

chibiterasu
Oct 19, 2012, 01:41 AM

Yes so if you do get one you send it back, apple don't charge you for returning it, they send a coruier to pick it up.

Orange Furball
Oct 19, 2012, 02:18 AM
Come on, someone buy it!!!

SkyBell
Oct 19, 2012, 03:44 PM
Sometimes I kick myself for selling my 12" iBook G4. Looking at that product info page was one of those times just now. :( Whatever happened to Apple honestly? Go back to the 2001-ish to 2005-ish era; it was nearly a completely different company with a different attitude. *Sigh* Stupid nostalgia.

Ariii
Oct 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
I would happily pay somebody $20 just to find out :).

rjcalifornia
Oct 19, 2012, 10:00 PM

Let's make an indiegogo fundraising and let's buy it :)

PowerPCMacMan
Oct 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Title says it all.. It seems legit and I should be getting confirmation shortly on when they will be shipping it out to me. I used my Federal Gov't discount to purchase it.

It seems Apple Store in Canada has many of these on hand. Now, someone just needs to purchase the iBook.

Its all legit.

mrsir2009
Oct 19, 2012, 11:36 PM

Same here - I'm sure we can rack up a grand :D

AQUADock
Oct 20, 2012, 03:51 AM
Title says it all.. It seems legit and I should be getting confirmation shortly on when they will be shipping it out to me. I used my Federal Gov't discount to purchase it.

It seems Apple Store in Canada has many of these on hand. Now, someone just needs to purchase the iBook.

Its all legit.

Keep us updated.

skateny
Oct 20, 2012, 11:23 AM

Its all legit.

That's just crazy. Not your ordering it, but their selling it.

Unless it's been on their site continuously for eight years, why offer it now? To what extent will they support it? And will they offer a discounted upgrade path? At some point will they offer the Cube? The TiBook? The original iMac?

One scenario that even remotely makes sense is that they want to measure the popularity and desire for PPC Macs. Apple certainly doesn't need the money. But a bunch of people buying these is more likely to mean they don't know what they're getting, rather than renewed interest in an unsupported architecture.

Crazy.

J.Appleseed
Oct 20, 2012, 11:32 AM
Hilarous, haha :D

I'm really curious about the MDD! I still have a 1999 PowerMac G4 'Yikes!' collecting dust...

Zeke D
Oct 20, 2012, 11:47 AM
Sometimes I kick myself for selling my 12" iBook G4. Looking at that product info page was one of those times just now. :( Whatever happened to Apple honestly? Go back to the 2001-ish to 2005-ish era; it was nearly a completely different company with a different attitude. *Sigh* Stupid nostalgia.

I still have my iBook G4. It is next on the list to be replaced when my finances allow it. In some apps (creative suite 3) the iBook out performs my first generation MacBook Air.

skateny
Oct 20, 2012, 12:05 PM
I still have my iBook G4. It is next on the list to be replaced when my finances allow it. In some apps (creative suite 3) the iBook out performs my first generation MacBook Air.

My iBook is my main computer. It works just fine.

(Rumor has it that Dell is offering Pentium towers with Windows 95 pre-installed.)

MAC MAN JW
Dec 1, 2012, 10:47 AM

Its all legit.

Did apple ever send you your PMG4 MDD?

RedCroissant
Dec 2, 2012, 09:16 AM

I have an iBook G4 and the battery lasts nowhere near 6 hours! Maybe I should buy it just for that! <----No, I am not being serious.

You want to know what else I think is pretty cool? My iPad mini is the same resolution as my iBook G4...

EDIT: I saved both pages as PDFs just for fun AND I answered the question asked about it in April of 2010. If I had that money just to spend and have no worries, I would buy it and put the RAM from my current machine in there to have a brand new iBook)

simsaladimbamba
Dec 3, 2012, 08:30 AM
You want to know what else I think is pretty cool? My iPad mini is the same resolution as my iBook G4...

I realized that yesterday too, strange though, that the 12" and 14" had the same resolution, thus I went with the 12" eight years ago. Man, that was the best computer I ever had, it survived water, falls, waterfalls and a lot more. But it got slow eventually.

rjcalifornia
Dec 3, 2012, 09:28 AM
I realized that yesterday too, strange though, that the 12" and 14" had the same resolution, thus I went with the 12" eight years ago. Man, that was the best computer I ever had, it survived water, falls, waterfalls and a lot more. But it got slow eventually.

I can confirm that. Ibok G3/G4 were(are) waterproof. How did Apple do that?