PDA

View Full Version : iPod Mini - Problem shutting down

Reckless
Sep 1, 2005, 08:22 AM
I've got a 2G iPod and have just bought a mini iPod each for my wife and daughter. There appears to be a problem with my daughter's machine but before I contact apple I just thought I'd check here first in case it's a common issue that can easily be resolved by myself.

The problem is that sometimes, we can't get the mini to shut down. Pressing and holding the play/pause button either has no effect or it sometimes just starts/stops the song. Occasionally holding the button down seems to cause the pod to start to scroll through the menu options.

Should I be resetting the iPod or does it sound like a hardware problem? I have the latest firmware updates on both the machines.

Thanks for any input.

mad jew
Sep 1, 2005, 08:25 AM
Does it turn itself off if you leave it alone on pause for a few minutes?

Reckless
Sep 1, 2005, 08:31 AM
I'm not sure to be honest. I only know that if you hold the button down, most of the time it will display the song you were playing as paused. I've found that keeping the button pressed seems to have no further effect most of time although as I mentioned, sometimes it then causes the menu items to scroll.

As it's intermittent it's difficult for me to check and confirm this either way but I can try it later again and see if it does as you say. As a matter of interest, what would this indicate?

mad jew
Sep 1, 2005, 09:19 AM
If you leave the iPod alone and it's not being used (no music playing) it'll shut down of its own accord. That's how I do it. I actually didn't even know holding Pause would shut it down. :o

If your daughter's iPod does shut down eventually, then that means the problem isn't that the iPod can't shut down but rather that it is having trouble with the key combinations.

Either way, a restore of the firmware should fix things up. :)

Reckless
Sep 1, 2005, 10:39 AM
Well, holding the play/pause button shuts the iPod down on my 2G model and my wife's mini iPod as well. It does work now sometimes on my daughter's, it's just it seems to stick. I'll try a restore to see if that helps :)

Cheers for the advice

mad jew
Sep 1, 2005, 07:05 PM
Cheers for the advice

No, thank you. That's a very cool tip. :)

Hopefully the restore will fix it.