PDA

View Full Version : iTunes 11 release on 23rd?

saidtezel
Oct 17, 2012, 02:27 PM
I know all the media are excited about getting the iPad Mini and possibly a 13inch Retina MBP, but we still haven't heard anything related to iTunes 11's October release, which apparently, I am the only one curious about.

I think there is a really high chance we will see something related to Beta. I can't say final release because we haven't seen any previews around. Any guesses?

Oct 17, 2012, 02:53 PM
I know all the media are excited about getting the iPad Mini and possibly a 13inch Retina MBP, but we still haven't heard anything related to iTunes 11's October release, which apparently, I am the only one curious about.

I think there is a really high chance we will see something related to Beta. I can't say final release because we haven't seen any previews around. Any guesses?

Considering that its UI seems to match the horrible iPad Music app UI, I am not exactly looking forward to it anyway...

Mal
Oct 17, 2012, 02:55 PM
I think it's likely we'll see the release or announcement of the release date at least. There might even have been something in iTunes 11 about the iPad mini they didn't want leaked, which could explain a delay.

jW

sidewinder
Oct 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
Considering that its UI seems to match the horrible iPad Music app UI, I am not exactly looking forward to it anyway...

All change is bad for you, isn't it? It doesn't seem to matter what it is, you complain......

S-

Oct 17, 2012, 03:53 PM
All change is bad for you, isn't it? It doesn't seem to matter what it is, you complain......

S-

I love change but not in this case; it's just bad - there is even a specific article out there outlining such bad UI choices.

Ddyracer
Oct 17, 2012, 06:22 PM

I actually like it already just by looking at the screenshots. I'm digging the silver look. I just hope it's fast.

Senseotech
Oct 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
I love the new design and the improved music discovery. My biggest problem is that I have a large set of artists I like and would love to find more music from others that matches those styles and tastes, but its difficult currently to do that from iTunes.

Ddyracer
Oct 17, 2012, 08:42 PM
I love the new design and the improved music discovery. My biggest problem is that I have a large set of artists I like and would love to find more music from others that matches those styles and tastes, but its difficult currently to do that from iTunes.

Isn't there a button for that? guess it doesn't work much eh?

delete this post.

Ddyracer
Oct 17, 2012, 08:43 PM

Isn't there a button for that? Guess it doesn't work much eh?

Senseotech
Oct 17, 2012, 08:48 PM
Isn't there a button for that? Guess it doesn't work much eh?

It's far from intuitive or user friendly. From the looks of it, iTunes 11 will make the experience almost seamless, going from tracks in my library to similar tracks in the store.

Ddyracer
Oct 17, 2012, 11:58 PM
It's far from intuitive or user friendly. From the looks of it, iTunes 11 will make the experience alarmist seamless, going from tracks in my library to similar tracks in the store.

Dang, i can't find the button. What's it called, and how do i enable it. It's not genius is it?

saidtezel
Oct 18, 2012, 01:52 AM
Dang, i can't find the button. What's it called, and how do i enable it. It's not genius is it?

It's Genius, but in my case, Genius has never been able to find close matches. I end up getting back to good-old shuffle all and try my luck

j.applewood
Oct 18, 2012, 08:39 AM
To download iTunes 10.7, I had to upgrade my late '08 Macbook from OS 10.5.8 to 10.6.8. Any word on what the OS requirements will be to get iTunes 11? (please Apple don't force me to download Lion or Mountain Lion on my old machine):(

Mal
Oct 18, 2012, 11:18 AM
To download iTunes 10.7, I had to upgrade my late '08 Macbook from OS 10.5.8 to 10.6.8. Any word on what the OS requirements will be to get iTunes 11? (please Apple don't force me to download Lion or Mountain Lion on my old machine):(

Chances are Lion will be the minimum requirement. Might support Snow Leopard, but Apple's history doesn't make that likely.

jW

GIZBUG
Oct 18, 2012, 11:25 AM
Sooner the better on a new itunes, this bloatware is killing me

j.applewood
Oct 18, 2012, 03:51 PM
Chances are Lion will be the minimum requirement. Might support Snow Leopard, but Apple's history doesn't make that likely.

jW

I'll make sure not to download 10.7 then so that my iPhone 5 will continue syncing with my comp. I don't always lag in software tech (I have a newer comp I will be downloading Mountain Lion on), but with my wife's boat of a Macbook it's tough to justify keeping up (and sometimes flat out impossible due to system reqs).

Lvivske
Oct 19, 2012, 08:07 PM
Sooner the better on a new itunes, this bloatware is killing me

the few icons on the left panel that you can disable are "killing" you? :rolleyes:

TheGdog
Oct 19, 2012, 09:12 PM

S-

UI Design is all about opinion. Apple is kinda at a crossroads with UI design, but I have no doubt that Tim Cook knows what he is doing. I Think they are tying to unify as much as possible.

Payton
Oct 19, 2012, 09:28 PM

I'm actually looking forward to the new iTunes… the mini player is a great idea and they're not getting rid of the old-style list view, which I will likely continue to use.

I am, however, with you on the iPad Music app. I wish they had been kind enough to give us an option, because it performs so poorly with my music library and iTunes match, it's a total bitch to use. Not to mention the album cover mode is a terrible way to browse and skim your library if you have more than a reasonably sized library.

Blaine
Oct 19, 2012, 09:32 PM
I like the new look, and am highly looking forward to its release. :)

Oct 20, 2012, 05:38 AM
I'm actually looking forward to the new iTunes… the mini player is a great idea and they're not getting rid of the old-style list view, which I will likely continue to use.

I am, however, with you on the iPad Music app. I wish they had been kind enough to give us an option, because it performs so poorly with my music library and iTunes match, it's a total bitch to use. Not to mention the album cover mode is a terrible way to browse and skim your library if you have more than a reasonably sized library.

Indeed. The only consolation for me is if the new iTunes retains the traditional list view - it's absolutely horrendous to browse an extensive library on the basis of stupid album views. I want unrestrained playability of my music; once an album/artist finishes, the next one starts playing.

However, if they simply follow the paradigms of the poor iPad Music app UI, this is gonna be broken in an unacceptable way...not to mention that the CURRENT iTunes performs fast and flawless on my iMac. Let's hope for the best anyway.

BlaqkAudio
Oct 20, 2012, 06:22 AM
Indeed. The only consolation for me is if the new iTunes retains the traditional list view - it's absolutely horrendous to browse an extensive library on the basis of stupid album views.
It does. I remember seeing it on one of the live blogs.

ThatGreekMacGuy
Oct 20, 2012, 09:40 AM
Probably, yes.

cmChimera
Oct 20, 2012, 10:10 AM

Is the iPad the reason why when I search for a song on my iPhone it plays the whole album? And if I want to shuffle again I have to manually reshuffle all songs again (Which means songs I've already may come up again)? This is so annoying to me. I searched for a song because I wanted to hear THAT song, not the whole frikkin album.

bige12
Oct 21, 2012, 02:02 PM
I have a feeling the new iTunes will be out Tuesday, since when they announced the iphone 5 they said the it would be coming sometime in October. and October is getting close to ending so if it dose not come out this tuesday, then I think it will come some time next week

northernbaldy
Oct 21, 2012, 02:04 PM
I'm looking forward to it, time for a fresh start

MasterHowl
Oct 21, 2012, 02:10 PM
I want unrestrained playability of my music; once an album/artist finishes, the next one starts playing.

File > New Smart Playlist... > Media Kind is Music

nharrietha
Oct 21, 2012, 02:12 PM
Looking forward to the revamped store experience, that's about the extent of my excitement though. I've always used the "List view" and will continue to do so in iTunes 11, so it's not really much of a change for me.

dumb
Oct 21, 2012, 02:41 PM
Hopefully, finally, we will be able to Queue songs like every other music player in the universe. Why this feature was missing since day one is beyond my comprehension.

Oct 21, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hopefully, finally, we will be able to Queue songs like every other music player in the universe. Why this feature was missing since day one is beyond my comprehension.

Isn't that what iTunes DJ is all about?

dumb
Oct 22, 2012, 07:05 AM
Wirelessly posted

Isn't that what iTunes DJ is all about?

Not exactly. It would be more like What new iTunes offers. add a song to the playlist, edit playlist as you go. Basically decide what plays next after the current.
iTunes DJ isn't as feature rich or as flexible. Up next seems impressive already.

Lvivske
Oct 22, 2012, 09:39 AM
No one is looking forward to this more than me. No one.

ipedro
Oct 22, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'm looking forward to enjoying my music again. iTunes has become more of a music management app instead of one that allows you to enjoy it. It's like having bins full of vinyl that you never listen to because you don't remember you have it or you just can't decide what to listen to beyond the same few artists you always listen to.

Bring on tomorrow!

Lvivske
Oct 22, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm mostly happy, besides about the layout cleanup and better space management, about the return of an emphasis on album art

biggest gripe for me was up until 9, we could have large 600x600 album art; then with 10 we could only pick "large" which was a small icon. Ridiculous.

Lvivske
Oct 23, 2012, 01:15 PM
wtf, they didnt mention it today, what gives??

shenfrey
Oct 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
wtf, they didnt mention it today, what gives??

Because its not coming today.

iWe
Oct 23, 2012, 01:17 PM
So, any word on the new iTunes?

Lvivske
Oct 23, 2012, 01:18 PM
Because its not coming today.

Gee, you're so insightful.

Troneas
Oct 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
ya to hell with ipad mini we want itunes 11.

kpress3
Oct 23, 2012, 02:07 PM
"End of October..." does this mean literally October 31? Who knows. Thought for sure they would announce it at the keynote today.

bushido
Oct 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
does the new iPad require iTunes 11? they would surely release it around that time frame at last ...

it always seemed odd to me that they didnt release a beta

ipedro
Oct 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
The iPad mini won't be available in October so iTunes 11 still has a week to be released.

DMaki650
Oct 23, 2012, 03:34 PM
The iPad mini won't be available in October so iTunes 11 still has a week to be released.

There website does say "Coming in October" so it could come anytime between now and the first half of next week.

kidintown
Oct 23, 2012, 03:36 PM
the update for the ibooks app isn't out yet so i'm still hoping we're getting the itunes update too at the same time!

moderngamenewb
Oct 23, 2012, 03:40 PM

I love list view on my iTunes and use it more than the other viewing options. I'm glad that they're giving us the option to use the list view, instead of getting rid of it, which is what I thought they would have done. I don't like the iPad Music app either, I liked the old layout better (the one before ios5).

kpress3
Oct 23, 2012, 03:44 PM
the update for the ibooks app isn't out yet so i'm still hoping we're getting the itunes update too at the same time!
That would be the best case scenario. Hopeful for that, too.

Osullivan1
Oct 23, 2012, 04:05 PM
If it doesn't come out later today, it may come out on Thursday as they have a conference call then and have previously released software after those events (like OS X 10.7 & 10.8). Otherwise I have no clue... why is it taking them so long?

kidintown
Oct 23, 2012, 04:07 PM
they just rolled out a big update for final cut, compressor, etc. i'm praying for itunes coming soon!

Mike MA
Oct 23, 2012, 05:22 PM
iTunes 11 release on 23rd?

Obviously not...even though it was my guess too back that time :(

ZenErik
Oct 23, 2012, 06:04 PM
I'm going to try the new look. I've always been a list guy as well, but maybe I should do something new.

WhackyNinja
Oct 23, 2012, 06:42 PM
I was really excited for iTunes 11. IT WAS THE ONLY THING I was interested about in this event v.v

MiamiC70
Oct 23, 2012, 07:09 PM
Me too :(
iTunes is a bloated mess I wish I could ditch but keep hoping gets sorted out.

WhackyNinja
Oct 23, 2012, 07:18 PM

iBooks just got updated. No iTunes yet. Sooooo no go for iTunes 11

ZenErik
Oct 23, 2012, 07:41 PM
We need iBooks on OS X. It's ridiculous that I can't read any books from the iTunes store on my Mac.

Lvivske
Oct 23, 2012, 08:51 PM
the Apple/iTunes blog posted this yesterday, prepping people to get ready for iTunes 11, then yanked it today

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:z8b0fwz2emwJ:www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2012/10/get-ready-for-the-new-itunes.html+http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2012/10/get-ready-for-the-new-itunes.html&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

so the itunes team thought it was coming out today...

Senseotech
Oct 23, 2012, 08:54 PM
the Apple/iTunes blog posted this yesterday, prepping people to get ready for iTunes 11, then yanked it today

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:z8b0fwz2emwJ:www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2012/10/get-ready-for-the-new-itunes.html+http://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2012/10/get-ready-for-the-new-itunes.html&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk

Hmm, perhaps tomorrow?

WhackyNinja
Oct 23, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'd say tomorrow. Then again I wouldnt hold my breathe.

iWe
Oct 24, 2012, 05:07 AM

Yup, you can still found that blog post here (https://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2012/10/) but before it gets completely erased both from Apple's and Google's systems here's a screen capture...

http://i.imgur.com/3rVaB.jpg

ipedro
Oct 24, 2012, 06:29 PM
That blog post is about preparing for the new iTunes. I don't see anything about it being released. It just refers to the upcoming release.

el-extranjero
Oct 29, 2012, 07:15 AM
Yup, you can still found that blog post here (https://www.apple.com/itunes/inside-itunes/2012/10/) but before it gets completely erased both from Apple's and Google's systems here's a screen capture...
Image (http://i.imgur.com/3rVaB.jpg)

I guess that post may contain a hint.

Sometimes Apple likes to "prepare" people for what's coming up in about 1 week later. That's what happens for special media events' invitations.
If there are no surprise bumps in the iTunes Store code/infrastructure, I guess tomorrow or Wednesday would be a good timing to release the Big 11. (Apple does like its tuesdays/wednesdays to release stuff).

Nevertheless, with iPad mini to be released this week's Friday (November 2), it seems pretty sure it will happen this week.

(Hope there's some big code re-write form the ground up)

Mike MA
Oct 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
Probably in November? :D

PeterHolbrook
Oct 30, 2012, 05:44 PM
It's downloadable from iTunes download page!
Edit: Sorry. I thought you meant 10.7

razmarino
Oct 30, 2012, 05:47 PM
bam! i think apple servers were just slamed right now)

Yaqdhan
Oct 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
It got delayed till end of November :(

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=373790&stc=1&d=1351642717

el-extranjero
Oct 31, 2012, 08:55 AM
If there are no surprise bumps in the iTunes Store code/infrastructure, I guess tomorrow or Wednesday would be a good timing to release the Big 11.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/itunes-11-delayed-will-arrive-by-end-of-november/

Guess there were a few bumps in the code. ;)

Julien
Oct 31, 2012, 10:08 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/30/itunes-11-delayed-will-arrive-by-end-of-november/

Guess there were a few bumps in the code. ;)

.....or could be working on streaming rights (notice the Radio Button) and need a couple more weeks to nail them down.;)

BlaqkAudio
Nov 2, 2012, 12:38 AM
.....or could be working on streaming rights (notice the Radio Button) and need a couple more weeks to nail them down.;)
iTunes 10 has radio; it's just plain old internet radio though. But I have heard rumors of Apple making a Spotify/Rdio/Xbox Music competitor.