PDA

View Full Version : iTunes phone won't connect to mac, Color iPod Minis, 2GB iPod Shuffle

vd0t
Sep 2, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hi all,
Haven't seen this one posted up here yet. Just saw this over at ThinkSecret.

Users will not only be able to plug the phone into their computer to tap their iTunes Music Library for tunes, but will also have the ability of buying songs on the fly over Cingular's network, probably for about $2 a song, sources report.

The new iPod mini, which is currently expected to be introduced at Apple Expo Paris on September 20, will be available in three capacities: 4GB, 6GB, and 8GB. The iPod mini will sport dual NAND flash memory chips to achieve those higher capacities, and Apple has already locked in for the rest of the year a majority of Samsung's new 4GB flash modules.

To further the size savings, the new iPod mini will sport a color screen that's slightly smaller than the current version. Sources say the screen will measure 1.467 inches, down from 1.67 inches, but will feature a higher resolution: 176 x 132, up from 138 x 110, as Think Secret reported in February. It's likely, but uncertain, that the iPod mini's scroll wheel will also see a small reduction in size.

Read the whole article here:
http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0509ipod.html

Update: Sorry for the confusion. I changed the title. I guess I should read a little more carefully next time :rolleyes: So yes, it seems like it WILL connect to a mac and can also download off the Cingular network. In my defense, the "not" really caught my eye!

Update 2: The title didn't change on the main page. Can one of the mods change that please so no one is misinformed. Sorry again.

plinden
Sep 2, 2005, 11:23 AM
Don't you mean it will connect to the computer ...?

balamw
Sep 2, 2005, 11:27 AM
It says that it will "not only" connect to the computer, i.e. it will connect to the computer as well as via Cingular.

B

wrxguy
Sep 2, 2005, 11:28 AM
lol so it WILL connect...lets change the name of this post....

Sky Blue
Sep 2, 2005, 12:22 PM
yes it's in the thread relating to the music event.

runninmac
Sep 2, 2005, 12:27 PM
Yeah This is huge news! A 8gb mini for 299?!?! a video iPod! A bump in the regular iPod wow I cant wait untill the 20th!

Freg3000
Sep 2, 2005, 12:42 PM
Over the air downloads....hmmm....tempting for some maybe. Probably not for me.

Twice the price for convenience and to freak out your friends may be worth it once in a while, but not regularly.

Nickygoat
Sep 2, 2005, 12:44 PM
Assuming that O2 follows Cingular's pricing model - thats 2 a song (about $3.70 :eek: ). Will anyone buy songs at that price? Unlikely. I think most people can wait until they get home and download them for ITMS for 99p. Unless the software prevents you from putting protected AAC files on it, but Apple can't be that stupid no? Unless it's the only way they could make a deal with Cingular. Interesting...
(OT but from the linked article) And a 2GB shuffle? Thats starting to push the limit at which you can manage without a screen.

davey-nb
Sep 2, 2005, 01:56 PM
I think most people can wait until they get home and download them for ITMS for 99p.

Isn't it 79p ?

Nickygoat
Sep 2, 2005, 02:29 PM
Isn't it 79p ?
Umm yeah :o Friday evening after a few beers things get a bit confused :eek:

Koodauw
Sep 2, 2005, 03:29 PM
Woo Hoo! Ill take a mini with a color screen thank you very much. Perhaps a new color mini as well? This should be exciting.

hyperpasta
Sep 2, 2005, 03:43 PM
Something is wrong here. I don't know exactly what, but flash was more expensive than a hard drive per GB last time I checked and color screens are obviously more than black & white. 8GB Flash Color Slim iPod mini for as much as a 20-gigger? Seems far fetched. I'd say at this point we'll see color added and nothing else. Shuffles will be price-dropped. Video iPod a maybe. $2 a song on a cell phone stupid but if it pleases Cingular, then Apple doesn't have any ohter options.

mikeyredk
Sep 2, 2005, 04:13 PM
Wait does this mean smaller minis?

IndyGopher
Sep 2, 2005, 04:19 PM
Wait does this mean smaller minis?

Bingo.

Counterfit
Sep 2, 2005, 04:22 PM
iPod Mini's use CompactFlash (well, sorta...) hard drives. They do NOT currently use flash memory. I doubt even Apple would be able to get enough of a discount on flash memory to put two 4GB modules in a $300 piece of equipment.

spaceballl
Sep 2, 2005, 07:26 PM
I mean... if this is a good PHONE above all and then it has cool music features with it, that would be awesome. Let's just make sure it is still a good phone.