PDA

View Full Version : 4G iPod guts into a 3G case!

katie ta achoo
Sep 5, 2005, 07:04 PM
So, I have a thing against click wheels. They make me nervous.

I don't know why, but they do.
A lot.

SO, I WANT TO DO THIS:
Take the guts of a 4G iPod (color screen blababla)
put them in the 3G shell
(so I have all the awesome four-button layout instead of stupidtacular click wheel.)

OR OR
This could also work:
I put a color screen on my 3G iPod and somehow get the firmware to be like that of a 4G.

I asked Chris at the genius bar and he basically asked:
Why?
WTF?
Do you just modify things for fun?
So, how big of a loser ARE you?
Have you ever been on a date?
etc.

so, I don't have the support of the Apple store in this endeavor, and even though they've looked past my warranty voiding activities, I don't think they'll be able to see past this one..

so what do y'all think?

homerjward
Sep 5, 2005, 07:19 PM
what model of ipod do you have? if it's a 40gb 4g or any sort of color screen it wont work--40gb used a 2 platter drive (as did 40 and 60 photo and 60 color-screen) and all the color screens use a thicker battery. also i'm sure there's a lot of 3g specific hardware, ie things for the controls that are different than the 4g. i imagine it'd be a lot more work than it's worth, and you'd prolly need *mad* skills to pull it off.
edit: however, if the only problem with your 3g (assumign that's what you'd use for the case) is that the hard drive's broken i see no reason you couldn't swap in a 20gb or a single platter 30gb drive in there.

dotdotdot
Sep 5, 2005, 07:24 PM
wouldn't it just be swap the HD (or keep the HD even) and just add a color screen - the 4G and 3G firmware is basically the same except the 3G can't do the special podcast thing that the 4G can... ooohhh = no difference

homerjward
Sep 5, 2005, 07:30 PM
wouldn't it just be swap the HD (or keep the HD even) and just add a color screen - the 4G and 3G firmware is basically the same except the 3G can't do the special podcast thing that the 4G can... ooohhh = no difference
please enlighten us as to this podcast thing :) :confused:

neocell
Sep 5, 2005, 07:32 PM
So, I have a thing against click wheels. They make me nervous.

I don't know why, but they do.
A lot.

Have you every seen, or read, Lemony Snicket's: A Series of Unfortunate Events? Aunt Josephine?

Anyhou, sounds like a job for good old trial and error, probably more on the error side, but as said about there's a fair bit of difference between the two, not only in size but also in firmware etc.

Good luck though

katie ta achoo
Sep 5, 2005, 07:43 PM

HHHHHHhhhhmmmMMmmmmm...... so will I get super special image viewing on it?

btw, it's 30 gig guts into 15 gig skeleton.

Koodauw
Sep 5, 2005, 07:44 PM
Well if you dont care about your warranty or not having a working iPod go right ahead Dr. Moreau.

Jedi128
Sep 5, 2005, 07:45 PM
Hey I can't believe there is actually other people out there that have thought of this. I have been wanting to buy a color screen/photo iPod for a long time now but I am too attached to my 3G iPod's controlls.

I think the 4G is a step backwards compared to the 3G on the exterior. That's pretty much the only thing thats been stopping me from moving to a color screen iPod, and the fact that I don't really need one. Well, like what has been said before, its probably way too much work to actually pull such a thing off.

Guess, I'll just have to tough it up and use a fricken click wheel.....

PlaceofDis
Sep 5, 2005, 07:55 PM
i dont think it will work personally, its a total Generation step... size difference, firmware, and possibly different connectors for the clickwheel and solidstate controls which is where i would think most of your problems would happen.

if you were just switching harddrives i would say that it could very well work, but, since you are going for the screen and the like as well....

good luck!

katie ta achoo
Sep 5, 2005, 07:57 PM
Guess, I'll just have to tough it up and use a fricken click wheel.....

*le sigh*

I guess, so too.

:( :(

I'm gonna be all backwards when I finally have to deal with it.

....stupid click wheel.

PlaceofDis
Sep 5, 2005, 08:08 PM
*le sigh*

I guess, so too.

:( :(

I'm gonna be all backwards when I finally have to deal with it.

....stupid click wheel.

know what, i didn't think i would like it at first either, and its still not the best solution in my book, but it is a lot better than the 3G iPods in the end, just give it a chance... i was stubborn at first too, i miss the backlights on the 3Gs the most though.

Jopling
Sep 5, 2005, 08:42 PM
Hey, I don't like the 3g at all, I'm kind of impartial with the 4g. I think it's all with the 2g. The 1g also had a fun wheel.

katie ta achoo
Sep 5, 2005, 08:52 PM
Hey, I don't like the 3g at all, I'm kind of impartial with the 4g. I think it's all with the 2g. The 1g also had a fun wheel.

Ohh, I remember my friend's 1G iPod. Back in my windows days, IIRC.

I accidentally turned the volume all the way up because I couldn't use the wheel right. it was way too slick for my giant man-hands to deal with.

Man, those were the days..

OO! What about 4G in a 1G?
That'd be so cool and retro....

Dagless
Sep 6, 2005, 04:08 AM
hmmm. can i (if it hasnt already been said) be the first to say that the 3G's seem to be much thinner than the 4G's? i suppose you could use the 4G's backplate, basically just swapping the faceplates around.

still, im no techie. good luck with it! i too hate the clickwheel on bigger iPods. its fine for Mini. but i really miss the touch wheel :( and its pretty red buttons