PDA

View Full Version : A Harry Potter/ Hogwart's iPod?

devilot
Sep 7, 2005, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned, I tried doing a search for Harry Potter and well, iPod, but duh that didn't work out too well. The Apple Store link is here (http://www.apple.com/itunes/harrypotter/) and this is what it looks like:
http://images.apple.com/itunes/harrypotter/images/harrypotteripod20050907.jpg

Applespider
Sep 7, 2005, 05:07 PM
i saw that but am very curious as to what it will cost! The books individually in the UK iTMS range from 17 to 50 - so a box set for 150 or so plus the cost of an iPod! Ouch!

devilot
Sep 7, 2005, 05:11 PM
i saw that but am very curious as to what it will cost! The books individually in the UK iTMS range from 17 to 50 - so a box set for 150 or so plus the cost of an iPod! Ouch!Ah... good thinking. This is what I've found as per the cost:

mrgreen4242
Sep 7, 2005, 06:36 PM
Ya, it's a cool idea, but seems like it's been killed before it got out the door since you HAVE to buy all the audiobooks with it. Now, it seems to me (a HP fan) that if you were going to buy a HP iPod you would probably be a pretty big HP fan already. That would lead me to believe that you very well may have one or more HP audiobooks.

Seems like they are cutting off sales from the people who are most likely to actually buy the product. :(

ham_man
Sep 7, 2005, 06:38 PM
Hopefully this is not the U2 iPod all over again...

devilot
Sep 7, 2005, 06:38 PM
I do wonder if there was a way to get the iPod w/out having to get the audiobooks? I'm personally not into the audiobooks... and I'm not a big enough HP fan to shell out the $$$ for the iPod, but you're right, it seems silly to sell it only as a bundle.

gekko513
Sep 7, 2005, 06:54 PM
Like I wrote in another post I think the audiobooks are ridiculously expensive. It's $41.50 on average per book.

That price per book is comparable to the total price for all 6 books in paperback from amazon: $43.21 ($26.22 boxed set of book 1-5 + $16.99 for book 6).

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 7, 2005, 06:57 PM
Well, I'm a big enough geek that I would love one of the new nanos with that Hogwart's crest engraved. :cool:

But I would NOT pay (all those money) for the audiobooks... why would I when I can lend them on the library and rip them (legally)?

gekko513
Sep 7, 2005, 07:01 PM
Is it really legal to rip them when you borrow them from the library? :confused:

WildCowboy
Sep 7, 2005, 07:03 PM
Like I wrote in another post I think the audiobooks are ridiculously expensive. It's $41.50 on average per book.

That price per book is comparable to the total price for all 6 books in paperback from amazon: $43.21 ($26.22 boxed set of book 1-5 + $16.99 for book 6).

Plug your headphones into your books and see what comes out of them...

Audiobooks are always much more expensive than the print book...they don't sell a lot of copies, and somebody has to sit there and read the darn things. Book 6 alone on CD (17 of them, I believe) is $52.50 at Amazon. It's $50 through iTunes, so it's competitively priced.

gekko513
Sep 7, 2005, 07:10 PM
Plug your headphones into your books and see what comes out of them...

Audiobooks are always much more expensive than the print book...they don't sell a lot of copies, and somebody has to sit there and read the darn things. Book 6 alone on CD (17 of them, I believe) is $52.50 at Amazon. It's $50 through iTunes, so it's competitively priced.
It's only $35 on audio cassette, and iTMS is a cheaper distribution system, and the first book is $23.10 on audio cassette. That would make $174.90 a price that would be comparable to other audio offers, not $249.

Mitthrawnuruodo
Sep 7, 2005, 07:16 PM
Is it really legal to rip them when you borrow them from the library? :confused:Don't think the revision of the law this summer changed that, so if you obtain copyrighted material (except for computer software) legally you can copy it, and not only to yourself but to your closest friends and relatives... :cool:

Edit: I have ripped almost all of Douglas Adam's books (and the original HHGTTG radio show)... and thought of starting with Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series next... :D

gekko513
Sep 7, 2005, 07:28 PM
Don't think the revision of the law this summer changed that, so if you obtain copyrighted material (except for computer software) legally you can copy it, and not only to yourself but to your closest friends and relatives... :cool:

Edit: I have ripped almost all of Douglas Adam's books (and the original HHGTTG radio show)... and thought of starting with Lord of the Rings and the Harry Potter series next... :D
And we're both part of the nice macrumors.com family, right? ;) Just kidding.

maya
Sep 7, 2005, 07:39 PM
That looks so kewl, I just wish that they did not have the iPod name plastered on the back.

If the Crest is centered and the Apple logo is smaller and to the bottom, it would look neat.

I think the better half of the world knows what an iPod and who makes it by now. Having the Crest only will make it unique and a collectors item. ;) :)

mrgreen4242
Sep 7, 2005, 08:20 PM
Also, FYI, I have all the HP audio books, and the guy who reads them, Jim Dale, is AMAZING. He has a voice for every character but it doesn't sound cheesy or silly, it is more like variation on a theme than a whole new voice. They are really well produced and I HIGHLY recommend them.

That said, the iTunes price is a rip off. You can buy them on CD for that, MUCH cheaper if you go for a used set off eBay.

Ah well, I was thinking about getting the HP iPod until I saw I had to drop $250 on the books I already have, and then I saw the nano and realized that my dreams had come true and that I will be getting a white 4gb model with 'Don't Panic' inscribed on the back. :)

Oh, I too have just about all the DNA audiobooks. All the HGTTG books, all 5 series of the Radio Series, and Last Chance to See (if you are a DNA fan and haven't read that you have to. Now). Don't have the Dirk Gently series, however, and I need to remedy that.

Don't panic
Sep 7, 2005, 08:31 PM
Ah well, I was thinking about getting the HP iPod until I saw I had to drop $250 on the books I already have, and then I saw the nano and realized that my dreams had come true and that I will be getting a white 4gb model with 'Don't Panic' inscribed on the back. :)

Oh, I too have just about all the DNA audiobooks. All the HGTTG books, all 5 series of the Radio Series, and Last Chance to See (if you are a DNA fan and haven't read that you have to. Now). Don't have the Dirk Gently series, however, and I need to remedy that.

sorry but that's taken ;)

watcher2001
Sep 7, 2005, 08:49 PM
Plus the thing that REALLY sucks about this.

You would think that by spending that much money you would get the hogwarts ipod pre-loaded with all the books. But no.. You get a code so that you can spend a LOT of time (Even with Broadband) downloading the books thru ITMS. No thanks.

dejo
Sep 7, 2005, 08:53 PM
You would think that by spending that much money you would get the hogwarts ipod pre-loaded with all the books. But no.. You get a code so that you can spend a LOT of time (Even with Broadband) downloading the books thru ITMS. No thanks.

That's so they can attach the DRM to the tracks. Was the same thing with the U2 collection.

StarbucksSam
Sep 7, 2005, 09:05 PM
Lil' bit overpriced for me.... though I'm a big Potter fan.

mrgreen4242
Sep 7, 2005, 09:13 PM
If they would have just sold it as a 20gb iPod, upgraded the regular iPod to 30gb and sold them both for the same price, and given you either a discount on the purchase of any HP iTMS items, or a code for one free book, or something like that, they would have had a shot at selling some, but as it is... well, I suppose that SOMEONE will buy it, but I can't imagine who.

Also, I agree with maya that they should have centered the crest and moved the Apple logo down and shrunk it a bunch.

Finally, no, you can't have the Don't Panic white nano. Get a black one or something! :)

joepunk
Sep 7, 2005, 10:39 PM
It would be nice if the complete bundle audiobooks were lower in price instead of being the same sum as all of the books singly combined.

watcher2001
Sep 8, 2005, 07:37 AM
When they first started with the U2 iPod did you have to buy the library and the iPod as a set? Or could you just buy the iPod? I am thinking what will happen here is that they will sell as many of the "Package Deals" as they can and then when those sales start to stagnate they will then sell just the iPod without the book series attached.

question fear
Sep 8, 2005, 08:33 AM
From what I understand, audiobooks on tape vs cd: tape is cheaper to transfer voice, to get a good quality transfer on cd requires a great deal more expense, hence the higher cd audio prices.
As for iTunes, the HP audiobooks are priced pretty evenly, it looks like the audio version of hp6 is about $20-30 lower than sticker retail.

devilot
Sep 8, 2005, 09:49 AM
When they first started with the U2 iPod did you have to buy the library and the iPod as a set? Or could you just buy the iPod?You received a $50 voucher towards the roughly $200 U2 library... so no, you did not get the whole set, but you did technically shell out an additional $50.

Actually, if you read the fine print on Apple's site, they will not allow you to get the Harry Potter iPod without having broadband and they warn that even w/ high speed internet it could/would take hours to download. :rolleyes:

mrgreen4242
Sep 8, 2005, 09:56 AM
From what I understand, audiobooks on tape vs cd: tape is cheaper to transfer voice, to get a good quality transfer on cd requires a great deal more expense, hence the higher cd audio prices.
As for iTunes, the HP audiobooks are priced pretty evenly, it looks like the audio version of hp6 is about $20-30 lower than sticker retail.

I don't buy that. The original records are almost assuredly digital. It is WAY more cost effective to record, edit, splice, master, etc. audio digitally. To master a CD set from those digital tracks would be next to trivial. Mass reproducing them would be also be less expensive than tape.

CD audio books cost more because people are willing to pay more for them. Period.

devilot
Sep 8, 2005, 11:16 AM
CD audio books cost more because people are willing to pay more for them. Period.I don't know about just that... I agree w/ a previous poster that the people narrating get a chunk of the money, as well as the recording/producing peoples and of course, a good chunk of the money must still go to the people who hold the copyrights for the textual book as well.

mrgreen4242
Sep 8, 2005, 11:34 AM
I don't know about just that... I agree w/ a previous poster that the people narrating get a chunk of the money, as well as the recording/producing peoples and of course, a good chunk of the money must still go to the people who hold the copyrights for the textual book as well.

I should have been clearer. Audio Books on CD cost more than the same Audio Book on tape because people are willing to pay more.

Audio Books in general are expensive becuase they cost a fair amount to produce (voice talent, recording time, editing, mastering, packaging, getting the distrobution rights, etc etc) and sell relatively few copies, so you don't get the economy of scale.

devilot
Sep 8, 2005, 11:45 AM
I should have been clearer. Audio Books on CD cost more than the same Audio Book on tape because people are willing to pay more.Ah yes... I'd agree w/ that. :)

Lacero
Sep 8, 2005, 11:47 AM
What 11-year old kid can afford to pay $250 for the Harry Potter series one book short of the complete set? Talk about robbing the cradle.

balamw
Sep 8, 2005, 12:54 PM
Audio Books on CD cost more than the same Audio Book on tape because people are willing to pay more.
Used to be the same for music tapes vs CDs.

I don't buy audiobooks from iTunes/Audible myself, as I find that buying them used and returning them to the wild by reselling them on Amazon works out cheaper/better.

One nice thing about the audiobooks on CD is that they often (like the HP sets) retain a fair amount of their initial value. Some less popular ones drop into the bargain bin and become very cheap to buy and resell used.

B

gekko513
Sep 8, 2005, 05:01 PM
I should have been clearer. Audio Books on CD cost more than the same Audio Book on tape because people are willing to pay more.

Audio Books in general are expensive becuase they cost a fair amount to produce (voice talent, recording time, editing, mastering, packaging, getting the distrobution rights, etc etc) and sell relatively few copies, so you don't get the economy of scale.
If they reduced the price on iTunes Music Store they might just get economy of scale ... at least I would buy it.