Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I am adding a second card to my DP867. I'll run the main monitor off my stock AGP card so I need a PCI card to run the TV (for video stuff). I want one that can run the tv as a second monitor, not a mirror of the desktop. This is so I can preview effects/movies/titles as they will appear on a TV and not the monitor (big difference!).

I'm leaning towards a 32MB ATI card since they seem to be fairly easy to find. Any other mac cards I should look at? Do I need the Mac card or can I get any old PCI card and download drivers?

Oh, S-video or composite (prefered).

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Definitely the Mac Edition ATI Radeon card. It has an S-Video out and yes it will do monitor spanning.

You will have to get a Mac only card. Nothing else will work. There are a few cards where there is the slight chance you can reflash the rom so it will work on the mac but with all of those there is a gamble.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by Mike Teezie
Can I do that with my new TiBook if it ever gets here?

You can monitor span, as you now can with the ibook, but it would really hard (soldering and such) to replace the video card.

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by W-_-W

You can monitor span, as you now can with the ibook, but it would really hard (soldering and such) to replace the video card.

no- you need not to change a thing on your powerbook. i can easily run a tv, mirrored or, as a second monitor with my tibook. just plug in your tv via the s-video port and you're set.

check on your info before you state something please.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by idkew

no- you need not to change a thing on your powerbook. i can easily run a tv, mirrored or, as a second monitor with my tibook. just plug in your tv via the s-video port and you're set.

the cool thing is you dont even have to use s-video. the powerbook comes with a svideo to composite adapeter. so in case you have a couple of tvs with just composite.

iJon

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
sooooooooo.....let me get this straight....my 37" tv (it has S video) can serve as a second monitor to my Tibook? How musch strain does that place on the computer? Forgive me for the questions, unfortunately I have never done any dual monitor stuff.

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
Yes you can...but the resolution on the TV is really crappy. And the Ti doesn't support the external resolution of the TV (720 x 480 or something)...so part of it may be cut off...I'll be certain soon. :)

[EDIT]I should say I'm not positive tho'...don't take my word for it;)[/EDIT]

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
Man, I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and get a HD Cinema Display............:D

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001

What is wrong about my info? You can span, you can mirror, but it would be a pain to change the video card! Check you info :rolleyes:

Bandit said "Definitely the Mac Edition ATI Radeon card. It has an S-Video out and yes it will do monitor spanning.

You will have to get a Mac only card. Nothing else will work. There are a few cards where there is the slight chance you can reflash the rom so it will work on the mac but with all of those there is a gamble."

and the next poster asked if he could do that on his tibook.

My response was perfectly correct.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
now that I know what to get, anyone know where to get it? I've seen the 7000 for $120ish on line, but not in a single store (BB, Compusa, CC, etc). If there is a place I should be looking please point me in the right direction.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by CTYankee
now that I know what to get, anyone know where to get it? I've seen the 7000 for $120ish on line, but not in a single store (BB, Compusa, CC, etc). If there is a place I should be looking please point me in the right direction.

Your best bet will be online. Make sure you are doing business with a large reputable place though. Other World Computing, MacMall, MacWarehouse, Buy.com. Those are just a few that come to mind.

idkew

macrumors 68020

What is wrong about my info? You can span, you can mirror, but it would be a pain to change the video card! Check you info :rolleyes:

Bandit said "Definitely the Mac Edition ATI Radeon card. It has an S-Video out and yes it will do monitor spanning.

You will have to get a Mac only card. Nothing else will work. There are a few cards where there is the slight chance you can reflash the rom so it will work on the mac but with all of those there is a gamble."

and the next poster asked if he could do that on his tibook.

My response was perfectly correct.

the guy asked about a titanium powerbook. you quoted him, if you are talking about someone else's post, why did you quote the tibook post?

you CAN NOT change the video card in a tibook. period. i have taken mine apart, and there is no way you could get another card to fit (unless it was the exact same card).

i do check my info, thank you.

idkew

macrumors 68020
also- if you look, i used please. i was not yelling at you, i was just asking you to be more careful next time. i don't think you needed to be so condescending in your reply.

edit-

my thoughts are all spread out...

your screen looks ok on a tv. text is hard to read, but if you have a high quality tv, images, movies and such look great. itunes visualizations are fun to watch on it.

i love my powerbook and it's s-video output. i watch my dvds in my small ass room on my screen, 20" tv and projector, all at the same time. no matter how i want to lay i can see a screen. i just daisy chain the projector through the tv's composite output. :)

edit 2-

my tibook fills the tv screen up almost perfectly. you will be happy with its performance i bet. one thing- i have a rev b tibook- when i have spanned monitors, the tv does not get quartz extreme. this may be different with the rev d's (right?) since they have a huge video card.

one thing to try. play a music video or something in a large window on yout tibook, then drag it over to the tv, and half way... cool huh? apples are great.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001

the guy asked about a titanium powerbook. you quoted him, if you are talking about someone else's post, why did you quote the tibook post?

you CAN NOT change the video card in a tibook. period. i have taken mine apart, and there is no way you could get another card to fit (unless it was the exact same card).

i do check my info, thank you.

I was talking about the tibook post, and if you could find a mobility card and you had enough guts you could replace the card. It would be incredibly difficult, but anything is possible.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
huh, wha? Sorry I dozed off there while you hijackers went at each other ;)

idkew

macrumors 68020

I read the first few posts, have you fixed that thing yet?

since i think we have hijacked this post, here is more off topic:

i will do the final finishing touches on it this december during break. right now she looks great, i just want to kinda start over and get a smoother job done. i also painted the white part under the screen...

new picts will be posted when they are ready.

daveg5

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2001
Re: Video Card for T.V. as second monitor...

Originally posted by CTYankee
I am adding a second card to my DP867. I'll run the main monitor off my stock AGP card so I need a PCI card to run the TV (for video stuff). I want one that can run the tv as a second monitor, not a mirror of the desktop. This is so I can preview effects/movies/titles as they will appear on a TV and not the monitor (big difference!).

I'm leaning towards a 32MB ATI card since they seem to be fairly easy to find. Any other mac cards I should look at? Do I need the Mac card or can I get any old PCI card and download drivers?

Oh, S-video or composite (prefered).

Great question!!
I have benn running a 15' sony moniter at 832x624, and my 27" sony trinitron tv at 832x624 in overscan mode ntsc{video or graphics}, of the internal 6MB ram in my g4 upgraded biege g3 using the svideo out for the tv and running my main 21" Sony FS trinitron at 1600x1200 and it works great but not in OSX at all. since I will have a new powermac next year I need to know what video care I can hook to my tv that has ntsc support in the extended mode for video purposes. thanks
and does anyone know of any program in OSX or classic that will enable the video in and outports.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: Re: Video Card for T.V. as second monitor...

Originally posted by daveg5

Great question!!
I have benn running a 15' sony moniter at 832x624, and my 27" sony trinitron tv at 832x624 in overscan mode ntsc{video or graphics}, of the internal 6MB ram in my g4 upgraded biege g3 using the svideo out for the tv and running my main 21" Sony FS trinitron at 1600x1200 and it works great but not in OSX at all. since I will have a new powermac next year I need to know what video care I can hook to my tv that has ntsc support in the extended mode for video purposes. thanks
and does anyone know of any program in OSX or classic that will enable the video in and outports.

I'm quite sure that the ATI Radeon Mac Edition will do what you want to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.