PDA

View Full Version : Dual Screening Mix between Powerbook & G5

AlBDamned
Sep 8, 2005, 09:28 AM
Since moving, I now have access to a second, 17" Sharp TFT screen when at home. I was very surprised/pleased on Sunday as when working I plugged it in to the Powerbook to see two full, separate screens (both showing Vader and his iPod). Really helped speed things along on my llayout and design project.

Anyway, brought the 'book into work this morning to finish said project and nicked the screen from my Desktop G5. The question is, is there a way to utilise my Powerbook screen as a second screen on the G5? It doesn't seem right nicking the big computer's screen to work with the little one? Surely I can make it work the other way round?

Is this possible at all?

wrxguy
Sep 8, 2005, 09:30 AM
I dont think you can use your PB as a secondary screen..it dones't work like that...

Malus
Sep 8, 2005, 09:01 PM
Wasn't there a program where you could move your mouse from one computer to another?

Ah...whats it called again....

AlBDamned
Sep 9, 2005, 04:24 AM
Wasn't there a program where you could move your mouse from one computer to another?

Ah...whats it called again....

How would that affect using the Powerbook screen? :confused:

Malus
Sep 9, 2005, 06:48 AM
How would that affect using the Powerbook screen? :confused:

It....it dosn't, I just wanted to know I guess.....

*runs away*

neocell
Sep 9, 2005, 07:53 AM
Since moving, I now have access to a second, 17" Sharp TFT screen when at home. I was very surprised/pleased on Sunday as when working I plugged it in to the Powerbook to see two full, separate screens (both showing Vader and his iPod). Really helped speed things along on my llayout and design project.

Anyway, brought the 'book into work this morning to finish said project and nicked the screen from my Desktop G5. The question is, is there a way to utilise my Powerbook screen as a second screen on the G5? It doesn't seem right nicking the big computer's screen to work with the little one? Surely I can make it work the other way round?

Is this possible at all?
I don't know about getting the G5 video info on your PB (maybe some USB connection and software hack) but if you're okay working from the PB but just want to use the G5 monitor as the primary, you could just switch this in System Prefs>Displays on the PB so it uses the G5 monitor as a primary rather than the attached one.

AlBDamned
Sep 9, 2005, 08:34 AM
I don't know about getting the G5 video info on your PB (maybe some USB connection and software hack) but if you're okay working from the PB but just want to use the G5 monitor as the primary, you could just switch this in System Prefs>Displays on the PB so it uses the G5 monitor as a primary rather than the attached one.

Have got that far, it just struck me when opeing a large image that using two screens and a G4 Powerbook was silly when there's a hefty G5 sitting on the desk. As yet though, I'm not sure how to work it. I could have sworn I saw an 'input/output' option when messing around with the powerbook and my TV the other day...

AmigoMac
Sep 9, 2005, 08:36 AM
There's no spoon...