PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick of the Windows 8 tile colors?

convergent
Nov 2, 2012, 06:49 AM
Windows 8/Surface/Windows Phone are all sporting that same colored tile interface formerly known as "Metro" and just watching the commercials and seeing it in the news blogs, I'm already sick of the colors of the tiles. I think that's going to get old quick. And I don't even use the thing.

maflynn
Nov 2, 2012, 06:54 AM
I was never a fan of metro, but from what I've read its a really usable UI for touch devices. So far the comments seem to be the polar opposite for the desktop OS however in that its a poor fit

YanniDepp
Nov 2, 2012, 06:58 AM
Nope. Because I don't use Windows 8 and don't intend to - ever. :D

I'm lucky enough to use Macs at work and home. My only PC (home) runs Ubuntu.

OSMac
Nov 2, 2012, 07:04 AM
Windows 8/Surface/Windows Phone are all sporting that same colored tile interface formerly known as "Metro" and just watching the commercials and seeing it in the news blogs, I'm already sick of the colors of the tiles. I think that's going to get old quick. And I don't even use the thing.

Takes a few days to get used to, but its a nice change.

Amazing for tablets, faster for notebooks, good for htpc's too.
Debatable on big desktop displays.

The constantly changing tiles can distract but thats easy to turn off.

It would be nice if you could control the tiles colors , but it not a deal breaker.

Try the 90'day demo...

GroundLoop
Nov 2, 2012, 07:11 AM
I am actually a fan of the new UI across the MS devices/software. I am going to be upgrading to my permanent copt of Windows 8 this weekend. I am also looking forward to trying out a Windows Phone 8 device (Samsung Ativ Odyssey) since it will have a removable battery and expandable storage.

I think MS is making a change for the better after a few very tough years. I don't think that they will overtake Apple, but they will eat into Android's market share. I am just wondering how long it will take for new apps to be built now that the SDK is finally released to the public.

GL

spinedoc77
Nov 2, 2012, 07:14 AM
They are live tiles, they aren't just static one colored tiles but they display information which I think is pretty cool. You can go for pretty colored icons which don't display any info, or go for more functionality and have plain squares with valuable information, I suppose it depends on what you do with your phone.

ReanimationN
Nov 2, 2012, 07:24 AM
A lot of the tiles aren't actually plain, just the core apps from MS, and those core apps quickly become less plain and more lively as soon as you add pictures, email accounts etc to Windows 8.

I find them much more interesting than the static icons of iOS and Android. Yes, Android also has widgets, but live tiles fulfill that function.

LostSoul80
Nov 2, 2012, 07:30 AM
Active tiles are the coolest feature in my opinion. I love them.

vcoleiro1
Nov 2, 2012, 07:48 AM
I hate the huge arse size of the tiles and colors and icons which blend in together and make it hard to differentiate between whats what.

It kind of looks like a UI Fisher Price would make for a childs laptop toy .

Other than that , I believe its pretty quick, hopefully the tiles are customizable

snow blind
Nov 2, 2012, 08:00 AM
I hate the huge arse size of the tiles and colors and icons which blend in together and make it hard to differentiate between whats what.

It kind of looks like a UI Fisher Price would make for a childs laptop toy .

Other than that , I believe its pretty quick, hopefully the tiles are customizable
Tile size, color, placement etc is all customizeable.

onthecouchagain
Nov 2, 2012, 08:33 AM
The Verge review says if you miss a notification, and you don't happen to have a live tile for it on your screen, the notification is basically gone.

That... sucks.

rever3nce
Nov 2, 2012, 08:36 AM
Nope. Because I don't use Windows 8 and don't intend to - ever. :D

I'm lucky enough to use Macs at work and home. My only PC (home) runs Ubuntu.

I would die to have mac's at my job. That will never happen so I take mine :P

beyondthepale35
Nov 2, 2012, 08:48 AM
I like them. Clean and display useful information. You can change the colors on Windows 8 Phones at least, for regular Windows 8 changing the background on the start screen changes them. Dunno why everyone always calls them Fischer Price toys, fugly, etc., I personally think that of iOS. Everything just...sits there. No better looking than my old Palm PDA.

Technarchy
Nov 2, 2012, 09:39 AM
Active tiles are the coolest feature in my opinion. I love them.

Agreed. It's a very nicely designed interface and it runs wonderfully.

Even the desktop version which I thought I would dislike has won me over.

Prallethrin
Nov 2, 2012, 10:17 AM
Having seen pictures of Metro, the whole thing likes a 90s web page cluttered with ads. >.>

snow blind
Nov 2, 2012, 10:32 AM
Dunno why everyone always calls them Fischer Price toys, fugly, etc., I personally think that of iOS. Everything just...sits there. No better looking than my old Palm PDA.
I honestly think some people lack good taste and a sense of style. It's a shame they can't see what many of us do in Win8/WinPhone8... beautifully simplistic, effective and contemporary design.

maflynn
Nov 2, 2012, 10:34 AM
I honestly think some people lack good taste and a sense of style. .
Perhaps its not as much as a lack of taste or style but rather personal preference. I personally do not like the UI, never have yet that does mean I'm lacking taste or a sense of style, it just means I'm don't like what MS did.

Some do, some don't, one size does not fit all and that's a good thing

smellysox8
Nov 2, 2012, 10:37 AM

It's better than rows and rows and rows and rows of icons. I commend Microsoft for thinking outside of the box and coming up with something fresh and new. But no worries, Apple will think of something to sue Microsoft for.

snow blind
Nov 2, 2012, 10:55 AM
Perhaps its not as much as a lack of taste or style but rather personal preference. I personally do not like the UI, never have yet that does mean I'm lacking taste or a sense of style, it just means I'm don't like what MS did.

Some do, some don't, one size does not fit all and that's a good thing You're very right. I just have trouble seeing how some cannont see the sense of "style" in the UI. I bet even the great Ive would commend MS on the design.

Nabooly
Nov 2, 2012, 11:19 AM
Personally I'm sick of the same iphone display with the icons. Same exact interface/display over how many generations? I love apple and I will always be an OSX fan but iOS needs some life support.

The windows phone UI is fresh and new. That's enough of a reason for anyone to try it out. I'm gunna check the 8X out and decide between that and the Note2

Michael Goff
Nov 2, 2012, 11:36 AM
Tiles, bad.

Rows of icons that do nothing but open apps?

That's where it's at.

/sarcasm

3bs
Nov 2, 2012, 11:40 AM
The Verge review says if you miss a notification, and you don't happen to have a live tile for it on your screen, the notification is basically gone.

That... sucks.

Is there at least a live tile for every app?

KAB2010
Nov 2, 2012, 12:02 PM
Wirelessly posted

No notification center is probably the main thing that's holding me back from a windows phone. That's an absolute joke and would be so easy for them to implement. Scrolling through every live tile to check for notifications isn't the answer. I wish Microsoft would realize that..

spinedoc77
Nov 2, 2012, 12:17 PM
Wirelessly posted

No notification center is probably the main thing that's holding me back from a windows phone. That's an absolute joke and would be so easy for them to implement. Scrolling through every live tile to check for notifications isn't the answer. I wish Microsoft would realize that..

Microsoft said they ran out of time to implement a notification center, so I'm assuming they are planning on a notification center in an update soon. Have faith.

beyondthepale35
Nov 2, 2012, 12:19 PM
Wirelessly posted

There was an article I read somewhere on WP Central I think that they were going to make a notification center but just ran out of time. I dont run too many apps with notifications so it doesnt bother me too much, as long as texts/calls/emails is covered im good to go. But it seems like a notification center will probably come in the first major update to WP8 if Microsoft's words are any indication.

----------

Microsoft said they ran out of time to implement a notification center, so I'm assuming they are planning on a notification center in an update soon. Have faith.

I think we are one being haha.

Stuntman06
Nov 2, 2012, 01:40 PM
Live tiles seem like limited versions of widgets to me. I'm too used to Android widgets to be impressed with live tiles. Most of the live tiles are actually dead tiles to me that look worse that icons on Android or iOS. The ones that are actually live seem more like eye candy than anything useful. Like I really need my contacts tile to randomly flip through pictures of people. How is that useful?

Sacird
Nov 2, 2012, 03:01 PM
My first time with the tiles was the XBOX and I disliked them immediately. One thing that blows is if you see something that caught your eye and the tile is in scrolling effect then you have to wait for it to come back around. Usually it's about 5 slides of tiles. On a phone if I have 2 VM's and a few texts and a couple emails I am not going to stare and watch the tiles update, I would rather click or use a pull down notification.

Win8 I tried on a desktop and was meh on it, but it is the future of MS stuff. Vista was bad and sold 400 million? Maybe more, so people will learn to like 8 anyways cause it is so large and basically has a monopoly on the desktop. No fault of their own really, why someone else hasn't tried to get in some market share is strange though. Apple is a no cause that strategy is limited to maybe 15% at best. Like a linux flavor getting a push or something.

Ubuntu with the same level of support would be better. Windows is massively bloated because MS won't dump some legacy they should dump. If I am calling shots all those businesses and users on XP would have lost support in 2011. A brief extension is all I would have given it and by now it would have been move to 7 or go somewhere else. Those cheap Dells they always buy with Windows tells me I got them upgrading in the bag, :D

Renzatic
Nov 2, 2012, 03:13 PM
Ubuntu with the same level of support would be better. Windows is massively bloated because MS won't dump some legacy they should dump.

That's kind of what MS is currently working on...slowly. WinRT, which as of right now is the API used in all Metro applications, is poised to eventually replace Win32. Legacy support will eventually be handled through virtual machines, which are now built directly into all versions of Windows as of 8's release.

Like it or not, Win8 is the first step towards debloating the entire OS.

...which really truthfully honestly isn't nearly as bloated as you think it is. A goodly chunk of that 12GB install size are excess drivers and multilanguage support files.

Sacird
Nov 2, 2012, 03:16 PM
That's kind of what MS is currently working on...slowly. WinRT, which as of right now is the API used in all Metro applications, is poised to eventually replace Win32. Legacy support will eventually be handled through virtual machines, which are now built directly into all versions of Windows as of 8's release.

Like it or not, Win8 is the first step towards debloating the entire OS.

...which really truthfully honestly isn't nearly as bloated as you think it is. A goodly chunk of that 12GB install size are excess drivers and multilanguage support files.

Yea I know they cut some of it back which is good. Dont like the tiles obviously here though. I may have to learn to like em though if Apple cant provide the hardware I want. I found win8 usable no problem, as the XBOX dashboard, didnt mean I had to like it. ;)

And it is really good they are removing the bloat. Those business on XP could kiss my A if they wanted to stay on it this long then stay on it without support then. 13 years is nuts. 7 should be max IMO.

Renzatic
Nov 2, 2012, 03:37 PM
And it is really good they are removing the bloat. Those business on XP could kiss my A if they wanted to stay on it this long then stay on it without support then. 13 years is nuts. 7 should be max IMO.

Dude guy, 13 years ain't nothing. I've been to places where people are still running part fabricators using Windows 3.11 on...I dunno...like 486s or something. They had those big floppy drives on them and everything. :P

For you and I, upgrading to the latest and greatest is a couple thousand at the very very very high end. But for people like the above mentioned, jumping from 3.11 to even XP could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for new equipment, and thousands more plus hours lost on training. If they're a relatively small company, it's no wonder they squeeze every penny out of their investment. As long as it works, they'll keep using it.

beyondthepale35
Nov 2, 2012, 03:41 PM
Computers at a lot of campus bookstores are straight out of the 80s...13 years really isnt that terrible. I like the live tiles on WP8 and W8...but I agree with you on Xbox, everytime i use it I wonder if they really needed it or not.

Renzatic
Nov 2, 2012, 03:46 PM
It isn't the best experience on the Xbox, I agree. Tiles are better used with a pointing device (like your finger, the ultimate pointing device). Going through them with a controller is like chunk...chunk...chunk...chunk...okay, here's Netflix. Woo.

Until the Kinect takes off, I think consoles are better suited to big vertical menus.

aznguyen316
Nov 2, 2012, 03:49 PM

That... sucks.

Totally agree. Although Microsoft said they didn't have time to make it in the release, it is coming.

Sacird
Nov 2, 2012, 04:38 PM
Dude guy, 13 years ain't nothing. I've been to places where people are still running part fabricators using Windows 3.11 on...I dunno...like 486s or something. They had those big floppy drives on them and everything. :P

For you and I, upgrading to the latest and greatest is a couple thousand at the very very very high end. But for people like the above mentioned, jumping from 3.11 to even XP could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars for new equipment, and thousands more plus hours lost on training. If they're a relatively small company, it's no wonder they squeeze every penny out of their investment. As long as it works, they'll keep using it.

Let them run DOS. MS should obsolete their OS's a bit quicker to progress them. 7 years of support would be very good still, if the business want to penny pinch then by all means do so, they just won't be doing it with any kind of support so hopefully their IT is up to snuff. If so then they ca run win95 and save them pennies.

The higher ups can blow the big wads on coke and whores. :cool:

In short I am saying MS can progress Windows faster and the company's that use the old versions can continue to do so. Win win in my books.