Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

convergent

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 6, 2008
Windows 8/Surface/Windows Phone are all sporting that same colored tile interface formerly known as "Metro" and just watching the commercials and seeing it in the news blogs, I'm already sick of the colors of the tiles. I think that's going to get old quick. And I don't even use the thing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was never a fan of metro, but from what I've read its a really usable UI for touch devices. So far the comments seem to be the polar opposite for the desktop OS however in that its a poor fit

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Nope. Because I don't use Windows 8 and don't intend to - ever. :D

I'm lucky enough to use Macs at work and home. My only PC (home) runs Ubuntu.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Windows 8/Surface/Windows Phone are all sporting that same colored tile interface formerly known as "Metro" and just watching the commercials and seeing it in the news blogs, I'm already sick of the colors of the tiles. I think that's going to get old quick. And I don't even use the thing.

Takes a few days to get used to, but its a nice change.

Amazing for tablets, faster for notebooks, good for htpc's too.
Debatable on big desktop displays.

The constantly changing tiles can distract but thats easy to turn off.

It would be nice if you could control the tiles colors , but it not a deal breaker.

Try the 90'day demo...

GroundLoop

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2003
I am actually a fan of the new UI across the MS devices/software. I am going to be upgrading to my permanent copt of Windows 8 this weekend. I am also looking forward to trying out a Windows Phone 8 device (Samsung Ativ Odyssey) since it will have a removable battery and expandable storage.

I think MS is making a change for the better after a few very tough years. I don't think that they will overtake Apple, but they will eat into Android's market share. I am just wondering how long it will take for new apps to be built now that the SDK is finally released to the public.

GL

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
They are live tiles, they aren't just static one colored tiles but they display information which I think is pretty cool. You can go for pretty colored icons which don't display any info, or go for more functionality and have plain squares with valuable information, I suppose it depends on what you do with your phone.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
A lot of the tiles aren't actually plain, just the core apps from MS, and those core apps quickly become less plain and more lively as soon as you add pictures, email accounts etc to Windows 8.

I find them much more interesting than the static icons of iOS and Android. Yes, Android also has widgets, but live tiles fulfill that function.

vcoleiro1

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2011
I hate the huge arse size of the tiles and colors and icons which blend in together and make it hard to differentiate between whats what.

It kind of looks like a UI Fisher Price would make for a childs laptop toy .

Other than that , I believe its pretty quick, hopefully the tiles are customizable

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I hate the huge arse size of the tiles and colors and icons which blend in together and make it hard to differentiate between whats what.

It kind of looks like a UI Fisher Price would make for a childs laptop toy .

Other than that , I believe its pretty quick, hopefully the tiles are customizable
Tile size, color, placement etc is all customizeable.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
The Verge review says if you miss a notification, and you don't happen to have a live tile for it on your screen, the notification is basically gone.

That... sucks.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
Nope. Because I don't use Windows 8 and don't intend to - ever. :D

I'm lucky enough to use Macs at work and home. My only PC (home) runs Ubuntu.

I would die to have mac's at my job. That will never happen so I take mine :p

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
I like them. Clean and display useful information. You can change the colors on Windows 8 Phones at least, for regular Windows 8 changing the background on the start screen changes them. Dunno why everyone always calls them Fischer Price toys, fugly, etc., I personally think that of iOS. Everything just...sits there. No better looking than my old Palm PDA.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Dunno why everyone always calls them Fischer Price toys, fugly, etc., I personally think that of iOS. Everything just...sits there. No better looking than my old Palm PDA.
I honestly think some people lack good taste and a sense of style. It's a shame they can't see what many of us do in Win8/WinPhone8... beautifully simplistic, effective and contemporary design.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I honestly think some people lack good taste and a sense of style. .
Perhaps its not as much as a lack of taste or style but rather personal preference. I personally do not like the UI, never have yet that does mean I'm lacking taste or a sense of style, it just means I'm don't like what MS did.

Some do, some don't, one size does not fit all and that's a good thing

smellysox8

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012

It's better than rows and rows and rows and rows of icons. I commend Microsoft for thinking outside of the box and coming up with something fresh and new. But no worries, Apple will think of something to sue Microsoft for.

snow blind

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
Perhaps its not as much as a lack of taste or style but rather personal preference. I personally do not like the UI, never have yet that does mean I'm lacking taste or a sense of style, it just means I'm don't like what MS did.

Some do, some don't, one size does not fit all and that's a good thing
You're very right. I just have trouble seeing how some cannont see the sense of "style" in the UI. I bet even the great Ive would commend MS on the design.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Personally I'm sick of the same iphone display with the icons. Same exact interface/display over how many generations? I love apple and I will always be an OSX fan but iOS needs some life support.

The windows phone UI is fresh and new. That's enough of a reason for anyone to try it out. I'm gunna check the 8X out and decide between that and the Note2

KAB2010

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Louisiana
Wirelessly posted

No notification center is probably the main thing that's holding me back from a windows phone. That's an absolute joke and would be so easy for them to implement. Scrolling through every live tile to check for notifications isn't the answer. I wish Microsoft would realize that..

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Wirelessly posted

No notification center is probably the main thing that's holding me back from a windows phone. That's an absolute joke and would be so easy for them to implement. Scrolling through every live tile to check for notifications isn't the answer. I wish Microsoft would realize that..

Microsoft said they ran out of time to implement a notification center, so I'm assuming they are planning on a notification center in an update soon. Have faith.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Wirelessly posted

There was an article I read somewhere on WP Central I think that they were going to make a notification center but just ran out of time. I dont run too many apps with notifications so it doesnt bother me too much, as long as texts/calls/emails is covered im good to go. But it seems like a notification center will probably come in the first major update to WP8 if Microsoft's words are any indication.

----------

Microsoft said they ran out of time to implement a notification center, so I'm assuming they are planning on a notification center in an update soon. Have faith.

I think we are one being haha.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.