PDA

View Full Version : newish 1.2 iBook trackpad/airport problem

California
Sep 11, 2005, 08:21 PM
I was so happy with the 1.33 14' ibook that i got one for my biz partner; albeit a 1.2ghz 14" model. Barely used, with Apple Care for two more years. So screen is great, minimal plastic scuffing, I mean minimal, but something's weird with the trackpad . It takes way more pressure to push down than the 1.33's identical trackpad. And I notice it is sort of askew in its position on the palmrest. it also has a hollow sound. It bothers me because it seems somewhat unresponsive compared to the 1.33 and I did up the settings to fastest on trackpad and keyboard as done with my machine.

Other thing, is I can't seem to get on airport.

Maybe this is a panther update problem? As in something's screwy with the mechanics of the machine because I can't update to 10.3.9?

Anyone got anything on this ibook trackpad or airport issue? Thanks

mad jew
Sep 11, 2005, 08:24 PM
Check the System Profiler to make sure it does actually have an AirPort card. I'm not sure if they were standard on the 1.2GHz 14 inch iBooks but even so, it could have been taken out and sold separately.

As for the track pad, maybe it's just seen more wear and tear than your new one so it's less responsive.

California
Sep 12, 2005, 08:19 PM
"As for the track pad, maybe it's just seen more wear and tear than your new one so it's less responsive."

Thanks MadJew, but took the 1.2ghz iBook into an Apple tech today and he agreed with me that there was something stuck in the trackpad. Really not from overuse or use. Will get a new palmrest/trackpad from Apple under Apple care. Am also upgrading hd to 5400rpm and going to Superdrive while the machine is taken apart... scary how much work an iBook is to take apart so might as well try to upgrade with the new palmrest/topcase.

mad jew
Sep 12, 2005, 08:21 PM
Happy it's all working now. Yeah, you're right, may as well get as much done while the lid's off as possible. :)

California
Sep 13, 2005, 12:25 AM
Oh yeah and I did an erase and full new install with my 1.33 discs on the 1.2 ibook with all 10.3.9 updates (still weirded out by Tiger) and no more airport troubles. Can't wait to get the 1.2 back.

mad jew
Sep 13, 2005, 12:29 AM
Awesome. So it's all working perfectly now then? :)

California
Sep 13, 2005, 02:35 AM
Awesome. So it's all working perfectly now then? :)

Yes; in the shop but working. That trackpad thing was strange...