PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano will never be as sucessful as the iPod mini.

bryantm3
Sep 11, 2005, 08:43 PM
why? they were a fad because they came in so many colours. young girls and women were all over them. you had to have one, cos the pink 'is so cute!'. the fact that these only come in black and white, added with the fact that the shape isn't as appealing, leads me to believe that this won't be as successful. thoughts?

mad jew
Sep 11, 2005, 08:47 PM
Girls could potentially have more fun with a nano...

Or is it too small?

Blue Velvet
Sep 11, 2005, 08:49 PM
Colour nanos within 18 months. What are the odds?

Besides, I never liked the pink Minis and neither did anyone else I know.

chucknorris
Sep 11, 2005, 08:50 PM

Or is it too small?

Yikes, Mad Jew! I don't think Apple's even played that angle...

But, I really think that the Nano will be a smashing success. The whole superficial girls flocking towards the Mini is completely overblown, and hopelessly stereotypical.

chief_wiggum_PI
Sep 11, 2005, 08:52 PM
why? they were a fad because they came in so many colours. young girls and women were all over them. you had to have one, cos the pink 'is so cute!'. the fact that these only come in black and white, added with the fact that the shape isn't as appealing, leads me to believe that this won't be as successful. thoughts?

Why not? It's everything the stupid shuffle should have been.

Phobophobia
Sep 11, 2005, 08:54 PM
...added with the fact that the shape isn't as appealing...

I can see it now.

*A group of teenage girls walks into an Apple Store*
Girl 1: omg look! its teh new ipod
Girl 2: lolz
Girl 1: i know what an unappealing shape lol
Girl 3: omg totally lol
All: lol
*they leave*

chucknorris
Sep 11, 2005, 08:56 PM
Might I ask, what the h*ll is with this explosion of repeat threads since the release of the Nano?

There are at LEAST two other threads on this exact topic. Not to mention the dozens of Nano threads...

Really insane.

Duff-Man
Sep 11, 2005, 08:59 PM
Duff-Man says.....Apple are going to sell *so* many of these iPod Nano things.....the size of it more than makes up for any lack of colour choice. Sure, there might be those few oddballs that won't buy it because they want it in "flower power" or "blue dalmation" but those people will be an extreme minority......oh yeah!

G5Unit
Sep 11, 2005, 09:02 PM
I can see it now.

*A group of teenage girls walks into an Apple Store*
Girl 1: omg look! its teh new ipod
Girl 2: lolz
Girl 1: i know what an unappealing shape lol
Girl 3: omg totally lol
All: lol
*they leave*

Ha!

girl1: OMG! look! a dell! it's so ugly!
girl2: Yeh seriously.
girl1: I perfer the imac g5 because of it's intricate design and color.
girl3: Sandwhiches!

mad jew
Sep 11, 2005, 09:04 PM
There are at LEAST two other threads on this exact topic. Not to mention the dozens of Nano threads...

Please give us a link rather than just reprimanding us. I suppose The death of the iPod mini... Big mistake (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=147952) thread is similar... :)

G5Unit
Sep 11, 2005, 09:06 PM
Please give us a link rather than just reprimanding us. I suppose The death of the iPod mini... Big mistake (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=147952) thread is similar... :)

May I repost he same thing in the other thread?

katie ta achoo
Sep 11, 2005, 09:11 PM

Or is it too small?

:p :p

I want a nano! Those minis are too big!

Don't even get me started on how huge those NORMAL iPods are! Blech!

I would have much more fun with a nano than a normal iPod.. but I guess I'll have to get used to it. :(

so, who wants to buy me a nano??

buryyourbrideau
Sep 11, 2005, 09:14 PM
im afraid that if i buy a nano, it may fall into my bag of sun chips while i am watching rome and i might eat it subconsciously. not a very safe iPod choice.

mad jew
Sep 11, 2005, 09:14 PM
katie ta achoo, you're too young. :p

May I repost he same thing in the other thread?

What do you mean?

G5Unit
Sep 11, 2005, 09:20 PM

What do you mean?

Just repost the post I posted here about the girls on the other thread.

mcarnes
Sep 11, 2005, 09:21 PM
You sound like one of the people who said the original mini would be a flop. There were a lot of people like that. I remember the backlash from the original mini, and so far the nano has been very well received in comparison.

I hope you don't sell things for a living.

mad jew
Sep 11, 2005, 09:22 PM
G5Unit, posting the same thing in two different threads is considered SPAM as far as I know, unless one of the thread is closed and your original post is relevant to the second thread which remains open. Of course, I'm not a moderator so take what I say with a grain of salt - pretty good chance I'm wrong. :D

buryyourbrideau
Sep 11, 2005, 09:24 PM
Posting the same thing in two different threads is considered SPAM as far as I know, unless one of the thread is closed and your original post is relevant to the second thread which remains open. Of course, I'm not a moderator so take what I say with a grain of salt - pretty good chance I'm wrong. :D

pretty good chance he does not care since you are not a "mod".

poo

dotdotdot
Sep 11, 2005, 09:28 PM
Besides, doesn't anyone realize that if they get a white nano with the pack of "Nano Tubes" then the nano becomes a color iPod, like the mini?

jamdr
Sep 11, 2005, 09:33 PM
I hope Apple does come out with more nano colors. At least Black, White, Pink, Blue, and Green. Black is the new silver ;)

I'd really like a green nano, though...

JDOG_
Sep 11, 2005, 09:38 PM
Maybe, but every girl I know whose seen my nano thus far is all over it and immediately wants one.

Girls just like expensive shiny stuff, so I think Apple will be fine :)

briangig
Sep 11, 2005, 09:42 PM
Hell no...I think this thing is going to go like crazy. Ipods have been the trendy this for a while, and now a sleeker sexier one comes out? No-brainer to me. I think this will become a new fashion trend more than anything...

Nuc
Sep 11, 2005, 09:46 PM

Or is it too small?
To bad it didn't have a vibrate mode huh? :D

G5Unit
Sep 11, 2005, 09:52 PM
pretty good chance he does not care since you are not a "mod".

poo

Of course I care. I would hate to do anything bad.

katie ta achoo
Sep 11, 2005, 10:00 PM

Fine, buy me a nano in 7 months. :)

maybe they'll give me a free one on my birthday!

I highly doubt this.

..unless I bring cake!

Xephian
Sep 11, 2005, 10:01 PM
Lol. :D

mersea
Sep 11, 2005, 10:01 PM
why? they were a fad because they came in so many colours. young girls and women were all over them.
um.. this teenage girl hated the colours.. to metallic-y. In fact its more likley I'll buy one now since I don't have to pay double for the original iPod's style.

PlaceofDis
Sep 11, 2005, 10:06 PM
oh they will be successful still. and iPods will still reign king in the MP3 market... the minis were good, but so are the nanos, and whatever apple puts out next will fly off the shelves too.

barneygumble
Sep 11, 2005, 10:45 PM

Or is it too small?

minis would have been better at least they vibrated when in use :eek:

mad jew
Sep 11, 2005, 10:46 PM
They probably get warmer too. Mmm...

SummerBreeze
Sep 11, 2005, 10:55 PM
As a girl, I find this thread moderatly insulting, although I can see a group of guys in a similar situation:

Guy 1: Dude, that nano thing is too small
Guy 2: My friend who just bought one got laid last night
Guy 1: Sweet, I'm buying one!
Guy 3: Hey, Family Guy is on!

As long as iPods and the Apple line are still viewed as a status symbol, I don't think anything Steve introduces will havetrouble selling.

barneygumble
Sep 11, 2005, 11:18 PM
As a girl, I find this thread moderatly insulting

We can always try harder, that is if you find it only moderatly insulting

katie ta achoo
Sep 11, 2005, 11:23 PM
We can always try harder, that is if you find it only moderatly insulting

Uh-oh.

OK, LADIES OF MR. DON'T ENCOURAGE THEM.

It'll be like the woman driver thread all over again! haha

ham_man
Sep 11, 2005, 11:26 PM

When was the last time you were in High School? ;)

Fashion is everything these days. I guess Apple made the Nano Cond--I mean 'tubes' to cover their rear ends...

OryHara
Sep 11, 2005, 11:39 PM
As a girl, I find this thread moderatly insulting, although I can see a group of guys in a similar situation:

Guy 1: Dude, that nano thing is too small
Guy 2: My friend who just bought one got laid last night
Guy 1: Sweet, I'm buying one!
Guy 3: Hey, Family Guy is on!

As long as iPods and the Apple line are still viewed as a status symbol, I don't think anything Steve introduces will havetrouble selling.

lol, thats totally me and my friends

jsw
Sep 11, 2005, 11:45 PM
Why not? It's everything the stupid shuffle should have been.
The "stupid shuffle" is an ideal iPod for those times you want the music or other audio but do not want to have to care if the thing is dirty or scratched or dropped or whatever. If you're going to sweat on it or get it dirty or drop it or whatever, you want a Shuffle.

Edit: um... should have read further. Far too somber a reply for the rest of the thread. So, um, the Shuffle is shaped in a more anatomically correct way. Yeah, that's what I meant.

ifjake
Sep 11, 2005, 11:49 PM
i thought the color was supposed to come from those "tubes," right? you can then change the color of your iPod tube to match your clothes or something.

SummerBreeze
Sep 12, 2005, 12:28 AM
i thought the color was supposed to come from those "tubes," right? you can then change the color of your iPod tube to match your clothes or something.

Ha, it's like the Nokia 5190 of 2005.

dcv
Sep 12, 2005, 03:12 PM
They probably get warmer too. Mmm...

:eek:
did no-one else spot this?!!

jsw
Sep 12, 2005, 03:20 PM
:eek:
did no-one else spot this?!!
The fact that the nano click wheel has more friction than the rest of the case was completely ignored. Surely, this is at least as important as device heat.

Lacero
Sep 12, 2005, 03:25 PM
The mini felt good in my hands as I caressed and stroked it. It felt so nice. While I haven't touched a nano yet, if it feels as good as the mini, it will be a bestseller.

Deepdale
Sep 12, 2005, 03:33 PM

Maybe they'll even include a small tube of Vaseline just to please everybody and cover all the possible creative uses.

amholl
Sep 12, 2005, 03:51 PM

Or is it too small?

You have a sick mkind, sir.
But thats exactly what i told my friend when it was released. LOL!!

Bern
Sep 12, 2005, 04:01 PM
When Apple boost the capacity of the Nano, and they probably will, the iPod mini will be considered "retro".

dops7107
Sep 12, 2005, 04:04 PM
...the iPod mini will be considered "retro".

Your saying that made me think. I wonder if one could buy an iPod Mini, or any iPod model, and never use it or even break the cellophane wrapper. Might it be worth a packet in 20, 50 years' time? Hell, what might a 1st gen iPod in such a condition be worth even now?

topicolo
Sep 12, 2005, 04:11 PM
Duff-Man says.....Apple are going to sell *so* many of these iPod Nano things.....the size of it more than makes up for any lack of colour choice. Sure, there might be those few oddballs that won't buy it because they want it in "flower power" or "blue dalmation" but those people will be an extreme minority......oh yeah!

Well, women tend to be much more fashion concious than us guys. Instead of seeing the technical advantages to changes, they'll tend to see it as either compatible with their fashion style or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to pass on the nano because they can't get it in a color that would match most of their outfits (even though white and black match almost anything), but then Apple is also introducing the nano tubes which come in different colors so the nano and the nano tubes might sell better together with some women.

plastique45
Sep 12, 2005, 04:31 PM

Thoughts? You're an idiot.

To call the world's best selling mp3 player a "fad" is ludicrous. The iPod mini outsold the iPod by a large margin.

The iPod Nano is already the 4th best selling electronic product on Amazon.com, ahead of ANY other iPod or player.

Lacero
Sep 12, 2005, 04:32 PM
When Apple boost the capacity of the Nano, and they probably will, the iPod mini will be considered "retro".
*stares at mini*
*thinks to oneself that it's a big piece of aluminum junk*

londy
Sep 12, 2005, 08:53 PM
Well, women tend to be much more fashion concious than us guys. Instead of seeing the technical advantages to changes, they'll tend to see it as either compatible with their fashion style or not. I wouldn't be surprised if they decide to pass on the nano because they can't get it in a color that would match most of their outfits (even though white and black match almost anything), but then Apple is also introducing the nano tubes which come in different colors so the nano and the nano tubes might sell better together with some women.

you know the sad part? you probably actually believe this. chicks are just too "fashion conscious" to get the intricacies of modern technology... updated features, color, flashed-based, increased capacity, and user friendliness be damned--does it match my purse???

bryantm3
Sep 12, 2005, 09:01 PM
i just went to the apple store and tried out a nano. it's so damn small i was afraid i'd break the dern thing.

illegalprelude
Sep 12, 2005, 09:16 PM
I want a Nano.
Damn you jobs!
I buy my G5, next week new modles of duel were introduced

I buy my Mini,
2 months later, Nano is introduced

CURSE U!!!

*looks for money to buy nano*

katie ta achoo
Sep 12, 2005, 09:34 PM
I want a Nano.
Damn you jobs!
I buy my G5, next week new modles of duel were introduced

I buy my Mini,
2 months later, Nano is introduced

CURSE U!!!

*looks for money to buy nano*

I feel your pain!
the kool-aid is just so tasty, though.

I got a shuffle.. for no good reason... and I love it! It's basically replaced my 15 gig 3G iPod that wasn't broken, and still isn't!

...and now the Nano! Oh, the NANO!

topicolo
Sep 13, 2005, 01:52 AM
you know the sad part? you probably actually believe this. chicks are just too "fashion conscious" to get the intricacies of modern technology... updated features, color, flashed-based, increased capacity, and user friendliness be damned--does it match my purse???

Thanks for correcting me, mr. psychology expert. I'm sure that my minor in psychology is absolutely useless and that everything I've learned is just BS. Please, give us more of your incredible information-rich posts. I need the entertainment.

The sad part here is that it seems your small, closed mind bases all of your interpretations of the outside world on your own limited experiences. You must not be a very popular guy.

840quadra
Sep 13, 2005, 02:13 AM
Might I ask, what the h*ll is with this explosion of repeat threads since the release of the Nano?

Really insane.

Where were you when the Mac Mini, iPod Shuffle, or Tiger came out? This is a new Macrumors issue now?
:D

jMc
Sep 13, 2005, 02:42 AM

Does no one remember the
iBrator (http://sleeplessknights.com/ibrator/ibratorart.html)?

jx

840quadra
Sep 13, 2005, 02:46 AM
Thanks for correcting me, mr. psychology expert. I'm sure that my minor in psychology is absolutely useless and that everything I've learned is just BS. Please, give us more of your incredible information-rich posts. I need the entertainment.

The sad part here is that it seems your small, closed mind bases all of your interpretations of the outside world on your own limited experiences. You must not be a very popular guy.

Wow, can we relax a bit here? no need to turn this into a flame war now. But since you brought up that you are a psychology minor, you should know how your comment will effect how people interpret your comments especially with the tone you portrayed in your last post.

What you just told us (in less words),is because of your title you are not going to be wrong and he or others should not bring up or debate other points that are not in line with yours. Sorry but I doubt you will get that effect in this conversation.

I would have to agree with whom you disagree. In many ways the stereotype in which most of your observations stem from is less important now then it was in the past. I know quite a few men (Both straight and gay) that are aware of colors, what looks good, and what "matches". It is not just Women that are looking into fashion as an important piece. If White or black were not a good idea, then I doubt the current iPod would be doing as well as it has been.

I think what apple is going for here is the appeal of features, a color screen, battery life, and small attractive size. Almost everyone (Man or Woman) that I have shown pictures and information in regards to the nano, agree that they like it allot.

Only time will tell what side of this argument will win, however I am placing my bet along side Steve Jobs, that this will be the most successful iPod Ever.

mad jew
Sep 13, 2005, 02:46 AM
Does no one remember the
iBrator (http://sleeplessknights.com/ibrator/ibratorart.html)?

Nice. :D

Dagless
Sep 13, 2005, 07:09 AM
the Nano really is the inverse Mactel scenario.

at first we cried and sobbed as Mactel was announced. but in our own little ways we found comfort and trust Apple to delivery some uber quality machines with the Intel core.

alas, we all cried tears of happiness when the Nano was announced but its losing steam. or it seems to be.

I dont think anything will be as successful as the Mini for a long time. the Mini was the first spin-off from the iPod, and with its diminutive size it was heralded and Europe experienced massive delays because of sales in the US. the Nano is a step in the right direction, but its not going to make as big an impact as the Mini. if there was no Mini or shuffle, making the main iPod the only iPod and then they released the Nano; it would likely have been equally as successful as the Mini. the way i see it.

minimax
Sep 13, 2005, 07:41 AM
the Nano really is the inverse Mactel scenario.

at first we cried and sobbed as Mactel was announced. but in our own little ways we found comfort and trust Apple to delivery some uber quality machines with the Intel core.

alas, we all cried tears of happiness when the Nano was announced but its losing steam. or it seems to be.

I dont think anything will be as successful as the Mini for a long time. the Mini was the first spin-off from the iPod, and with its diminutive size it was heralded and Europe experienced massive delays because of sales in the US. the Nano is a step in the right direction, but its not going to make as big an impact as the Mini. if there was no Mini or shuffle, making the main iPod the only iPod and then they released the Nano; it would likely have been equally as successful as the Mini. the way i see it.

This is a valid point. The nano is just a combination of the shuffle and mini. The mini made a massive impact as it was the first large capacity player that was truely portable. This one is just a little more portable and shockresistant. Nothing revolutionary about it, really. In fact I still prefer my shuffle over this nano, and my next portable player has yet to be invented: a truely all-in-one device that is a phone, a good camera (incl optical zoom) and a good music player (preferably connecting to iTunes...). There really isnt anthing like that on the market yet. Untill that device arrives I will be perfectly happy with my shuffle :D

VanMac
Sep 13, 2005, 08:14 AM
Well, I think this nano will be the best seller yet.

I have a new 30GB Photo, and I can't wait to pick up a 4GB Nano. I think a lot of people that already have IPods will pickup another.....not to mention new sales....

Savage Henry
Sep 13, 2005, 08:31 AM
I think a lot of people that already have IPods will pickup another.....not to mention new sales.... I heartily agree. I think the only reason why I have not placed an order is because I have a mini less than 4 months old and a shuffle less than 1 month old, and I am perfectly happy with both of them. Apart from impulsive purchasing desires, there is no feasible reason for me to get one.

And from the 'choice of the lady' angle already broached on the thread, my significantly better half (owner of the aforementioned mini), exclaimed boisterously about how she now wanted a Nano, and why weren't they around 4 months ago when we got ... etc etc

So, they has all-sex appeal .... colours will be a matter of time.

nomad01
Sep 13, 2005, 08:40 AM
I hope Apple does come out with more nano colors. At least Black, White, Pink, Blue, and Green. Black is the new silver ;)

I'd really like a green nano, though...

How about bright yellow? A 'nana nano. ;-)

Sorry. I 'll shut up.

Steve

shadowmoses
Sep 13, 2005, 08:41 AM
Mark my word's the Nano will become the best selling iPod ever,

SHadOW

AoWolf
Sep 13, 2005, 08:47 AM
Nano's will sell and very well at that. At least in my world (highschool in florida) iPods are completely a status symbol that happens to play music. A new smaller version only increase your rank. Unless its a shuffle then you get laughed at. ;)

ShiggyMiyamoto
Sep 13, 2005, 08:47 AM
I think the iPod nano was a step in the right direction. They're even smaller than the tiny Mini and they're sexier in a sense. I played with one for a sec at my local Apple store and they're roughly the size of a credit card, only thicker. If I could live with a 2GB or 4GB iPod, this'd me the one for me.

m-dogg
Sep 13, 2005, 09:32 AM
This is a valid point. The nano is just a combination of the shuffle and mini. The mini made a massive impact as it was the first large capacity player that was truely portable. This one is just a little more portable and shockresistant. Nothing revolutionary about it, really. In fact I still prefer my shuffle over this nano, and my next portable player has yet to be invented: a truely all-in-one device that is a phone, a good camera (incl optical zoom) and a good music player (preferably connecting to iTunes...). There really isnt anthing like that on the market yet. Untill that device arrives I will be perfectly happy with my shuffle :D

Ummm...wasn't the original ipod the first large capacity player that was truly portable? No one thought the original ipod was big until the mini came out...

macOSX-tastic
Sep 13, 2005, 10:36 AM
not to spoil the flow or anything, but there is an "ipod and itunes" forum for this type of discussion.

tastic

greatdevourer
Sep 13, 2005, 10:53 AM
To bad it didn't have a vibrate mode huh? :D Heh, one advantage of HDD over Flash ;)

Btw, who's with me that we should start painting our standard iPods black :cool:

Maxiseller
Sep 13, 2005, 10:58 AM
But it did - it damn well spoilt the flow!! Anyway, keeping new threads going is part of this site right?

I haven't felt compelled to buy any iPod for quite a while now (since my initial purchasing frenzy of a 2ng Gen, 3rd and Mini last year!) but Ive just got to have one!

They're so damn sweet! Its the sort of thing that is uni-sex too. Girls I know LOVE the nano, albeit the white one - where as I personally lean toward the black. This is a very brave move, but hell, talk about keeping free publicity alive for Apple.

This could be a potentially good thing combined with faster Macs next year and the Halo effect. Go Apple *waves banner*

illegalprelude
Sep 13, 2005, 01:19 PM
I think these units will sell like hot cake but I think it will be nice if now that their introduced, around xmas, they release them in Multiple colors.

then, those who really want some can nag their parents and those who got one, might see another color they want etc.

I dont think multiple color is the key to the nano's sucess, but I think it will them out alot.

londy
Sep 13, 2005, 01:36 PM

that's funny i was thinking the same thing about you. which i find interesting given that i didn't overgeneralize half of the entire world's population. and no, i'm not a very popular guy. though my point of view might be a bit more valid, seeing as how i'm a she.

your assumption of my "maleness" is also very telling. and i don't even need my master's degree or any of my phd classes to come up with that.

p.s. neither my ibook nor my ipod matches my clothes today either. then again, it *is* after Labor Day... :rolleyes:

jholzner
Sep 13, 2005, 01:40 PM

Well, my sister has a Pink mini that she got from her bf for graduation. Funny thing is is that she didn't even want a pink one. She wanted a silver one. My roommate bought his gf a green one...she didn't want pink but I don't think color was very important anyway, they were offered so she picked one.

jholzner
Sep 13, 2005, 01:43 PM
I heartily agree. I think the only reason why I have not placed an order is because I have a mini less than 4 months old and a shuffle less than 1 month old, and I am perfectly happy with both of them. Apart from impulsive purchasing desires, there is no feasible reason for me to get one.

And from the 'choice of the lady' angle already broached on the thread, my significantly better half (owner of the aforementioned mini), exclaimed boisterously about how she now wanted a Nano, and why weren't they around 4 months ago when we got ... etc etc

So, they has all-sex appeal .... colours will be a matter of time.

Of course you have a reason...to help and support Apple! I just flat out write them a check every month and send it to them :p But in all honesty, I don't have an iPod at all. I may get a nano, we'll see.

SummerBreeze
Sep 13, 2005, 02:14 PM
Well, my sister has a Pink mini that she got from her bf for graduation. Funny thing is is that she didn't even want a pink one. She wanted a silver one. My roommate bought his gf a green one...she didn't want pink but I don't think color was very important anyway, they were offered so she picked one.

Funny enough, it was my little brother who cared the most about which color he wanted. After buying a pair of Seven jeans and other such designer clothes, he decided to get a pink iPod, because pink is the new fad with his slacker 15 year-old snowboarding friends. He was very disappointed when he could only get green, because that doesn't impress girls. It's a very fashion conscious world these high schoolers live in, and I definitely believe that guys care just as much as girls do (although they don't show it as much) because of the huge new pressure to be more metrosexual.

VanMac
Sep 13, 2005, 03:13 PM
So, tripped out to the Apple store today and finally touched one. Nice. Smaller then I expected. Feels really nice in the hands, and would barely be noticable in your pocket (although staff at the store were giving me funny looks when I was gauging this....damn those security cables).

It's my birthday in 3 weeks....think I just found what the wife should buy me :cool:

jayscheuerle
Sep 13, 2005, 04:03 PM

Yeah, but now they have BLACK and think of all the young boys and geeks all over them who have to have one cos the black 'is so hot!'.

All the little cybernerd boys will eat the black ones off the shelves and these are the kind of dorks that ALREADY HAVE AN IPOD!

I don't think Steve's sweating this one...

1macker1
Sep 13, 2005, 04:11 PM
Nano sells not going as well as expected.

http://appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1270

minimax
Sep 13, 2005, 04:37 PM
Ummm...wasn't the original ipod the first large capacity player that was truly portable? No one thought the original ipod was big until the mini came out...

There were flash players on the market already, those were really portable. The mini was the first HD based player that had the dimensions of a flash player. You don't stick an iPod in the pocket of your jeans, that's my point.

BrianKonarsMac
Sep 13, 2005, 04:37 PM
i think you don't know what you are talking about.

the most popular color was...omg silver?

so a couple of 11 year old girls won't buy it because it doesn't come in pink...but then their friends will get one, and all of the sudden they will need it regardless of whether or not it comes in pink.

then apple will sell them the pink cover (nano tube).

rejoice.

G wizz
Sep 13, 2005, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Duff-Man]Duff-Man says.....Apple are going to sell *so* many of these iPod Nano things.....

yeah just in time for xmas :D

stevep
Sep 13, 2005, 05:16 PM
Apple will sell shedloads of Nano's. They fit into the iPod line up perfectly, and they're more robust than the iPod mini (important factor for schoolkids). And just for interest, here's one reason why they fit in perfectly....

dops7107
Sep 14, 2005, 02:59 AM
And just for interest, here's one reason why they fit in perfectly....

What happens if you put the previous iPod Mini prices into that graph? Do they fit in so well, or were they a relative bargain in terms of /GB? Maybe Apple wised up and tought they could charge more for less, so to speak.

shadowmoses
Sep 14, 2005, 04:08 AM
What happens if you put the previous iPod Mini prices into that graph? Do they fit in so well, or were they a relative bargain in terms of /GB? Maybe Apple wised up and tought they could charge more for less, so to speak.

They definatly are not charging more for less as the Nano's cost far more to manufacture than iPod Mini's this is mainly due to:

-2 and 4gb Flash memory have you seen how expensive flash memory of that size is, far more than 4gb micro hard drives.
-Nano is smaller and has a colour screen, more expensive than mini's...

I can guarentee you that apple have a lower profit margin on the Nano than they had on the iPod mini,

ShadOW

dops7107
Sep 14, 2005, 07:26 AM
They definatly are not charging more for less as the Nano's cost far more to manufacture than iPod Mini's this is mainly due to:

[snip]

I neevr said they cost less to make. Evidently, given the price, the nanos cost more to make than an equivalent Mini. But my point remains: the customer is getting less for more. Unless you value sleekness, wow factor and a colour screen. Which I do, up to a point, but I personally would rather wait until /GB decreases.

Lord Blackadder
Sep 14, 2005, 08:00 AM
I neevr said they cost less to make. Evidently, given the price, the nanos cost more to make than an equivalent Mini. But my point remains: the customer is getting less for more. Unless you value sleekness, wow factor and a colour screen. Which I do, up to a point, but I personally would rather wait until /GB decreases.

I do value sleekness, wow factor and a color screen over the extra capacity, so for me the Nano is more attractive than the Mini. Personally my 1GB Shuffle is more capacity than I'll ever need; I mostly use my iPod in the car and only need enough songs to get me through my daily commute. The Nano will sell every bit as well as the Mini did, rest assured.

stevep
Sep 14, 2005, 03:19 PM
for dops7107:
I really must get out more.........

Model /Gb
Shuffle 512 138.00
Shuffle 1Gb 89.00
Nano 2Gb 69.50
Nano 4Gb 44.75
mini 4Gb 34.75
mini 6Gb 28.17
iPod 20 Gb 10.45
iPod 60Gb 4.98

dops7107
Sep 14, 2005, 04:11 PM
for dops7107:
I really must get out more.........

Thanks! You saved me the bother ;) The Minis fit in the gap rather nicely, don't they? I suspect in time the gaps will be filled in by price shifting. I'm sitting on the fence for now :(

Don't worry, the fact that I wondered about it makes me just as nerdy.

stevep
Sep 14, 2005, 04:57 PM
They do fit in the graph, but they're probably not really in the right sequence. If you look at the figures you'll see that the Nano is about 25% more expensive than the old mini (comparing the 4Gb model). Which ties in with the comments from Shadowmoses above re flash vs disk storage.
But then theres the colour screen factor as well.......(brain starting to hurt slightly now).

illegalprelude
Sep 15, 2005, 12:59 PM
Funny enough, it was my little brother who cared the most about which color he wanted. After buying a pair of Seven jeans and other such designer clothes, he decided to get a pink iPod, because pink is the new fad with his slacker 15 year-old snowboarding friends. He was very disappointed when he could only get green, because that doesn't impress girls. It's a very fashion conscious world these high schoolers live in, and I definitely believe that guys care just as much as girls do (although they don't show it as much) because of the huge new pressure to be more metrosexual.

hate to tell you, has nothing to do with fashon or mextrosexual. your brother is gay

ShiggyMiyamoto
Sep 15, 2005, 01:08 PM
hate to tell you, has nothing to do with fashon or mextrosexual. your brother is gay

I hope you were joking... That was sorta harsh. There's nothing wrong with being gay. He may not have had a choice. I've seen plenty of guys with the florescent pink Mini. That doesn't make them necessarily gay.

ok gotta run.. I have a train to catch...

yellow
Sep 15, 2005, 01:08 PM
the fact that these only come in black and white, added with the fact that the shape isn't as appealing, leads me to believe that this won't be as successful. thoughts?

3rd party skins in all sorts of colors will take care of that.. the nano in paisley!

840quadra
Sep 16, 2005, 08:57 AM
3rd party skins in all sorts of colors will take care of that.. the nano in paisley!

I prefer "parsley" but that is just me :)

yellow
Sep 16, 2005, 09:00 AM
I prefer "parsley" but that is just me :)

The color, the flavor, or the garnish? ;)

840quadra
Sep 16, 2005, 09:16 AM
The color, the flavor, or the garnish? ;)

All 3, but a little less on #2 :p

Chef Medeski
Sep 16, 2005, 08:01 PM

But, I really think that the Nano will be a smashing success. The whole superficial girls flocking towards the Mini is completely overblown, and hopelessly stereotypical.
I don't know about that, everyone I have girl who have told me about their Minis say they are cute and thats why they bought them. I ask how much music is on? Ohh just a couple CDs, about 3 hours. That is what I call a complete waste of money.

cr2sh
Sep 16, 2005, 10:54 PM
In the past day I've seen an ipod nano commercial on TV and heard an ipod nano commecial coming from the mouth of Howard Stern.

They are advetising it far better then before... and for that reason I think they'll sell more. The commercials of dancing mac colors is gone... yay. :)

reberto
Sep 17, 2005, 01:26 AM

Hay, I had a pink mini. If you ever got a scratch on it, it was hard to see. I got rid of it for $120 and bought some Xbox games

shadowmoses
Sep 17, 2005, 01:51 AM
I don't know about that, everyone I have girl who have told me about their Minis say they are cute and thats why they bought them. I ask how much music is on? Ohh just a couple CDs, about 3 hours. That is what I call a complete waste of money.

Its funny but i know some people with 20gb iPods who have filled like 700mb of it, and they don't intend to increase much, alot of people do not realise the true value of iPods they just buy them and load up a few albums,

ShadOW

~loserman~
Sep 17, 2005, 03:10 AM

Your kidding right?

The nano is a bad name but they will outsell the mini.
Smaller form factor, no hard drive.

seriypshick
Sep 17, 2005, 11:05 PM
Before she wouldn't even look at mini. But after nano came out she can't stop talking about it; propably gonna buy it very soon.

Stampyhead
Sep 18, 2005, 01:28 AM
I haven't read all of the posts here, but need to refute the argument made in the thread title. I went to the Apple store today and could barely get in the door, what with all of the people there clamoring to buy their iPod Nanos! At about 2:30 pm the store manager was informing people that they were completely sold out of 4gig models and only had a few 2gigs left. They are selling well now because they are new, but as we get closer to Christmas they are going to sell even better. I liked the Mini and I know a lot of other people did too, but I think Steve did the right thing upgrading it when he did.

gammamonk
Sep 18, 2005, 03:39 AM
A little story for you about iPods. I live in Japan, and here Apple is a fashion statement. Ask any of the other Macrumors Japan members. So anyway, when my Japanese girlfriend first saw my iPod 40gig, she honestly didn't know what it was or what it did. That was in April or so. Now, this weekend she comes over and is talking about how awesome the Nano is, and how much she wants one. At work everyone is talking about them. I have a 40gig that works fine, and I want a Nano like it was a Combo meal at Taco Johns.

Something is different about the Nano. Almost everyone agrees that it is awesome. Almost everyone wants one.

londy
Sep 18, 2005, 06:54 PM
i played with one at comp usa on saturday. it was so tiny with a very vibrant screen. the amount of space they have is great. i wonder if it's not toooo small though. i'd like one, but i'm perfectly content with my 30GB color pod. just bought it with my ibook. i couldn't really do much with the nano. but for folks that just want to carry a little music with them and actually see what's playing (and have some control over it too) i think the nano's perfect.