PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands 2 Arrives on the Mac

MacRumors
Nov 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/20/borderlands-2-arrives-on-the-mac/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/borderlands2.png
Hit first-person-shooter/role-playing-game Borderlands 2 has arrived on the Mac (http://www.aspyr.com/games/borderlands-2) just two months after going on sale on the PC and consoles, a very quick turnaround for a major title. Many major titles arrive on the Mac many months or even years after they land on the PC.
Developed by Gearbox Software and brought to the Mac by Aspyr Media, Borderlands 2 lives up to the mantra "bigger, better and more badass," featuring all-new characters; skills; imaginative, diverse new environments with unique missions and enemies; and more exciting and fun weapons, equipment and loot than ever before. All of these features come together in a story that takes players to the world of Pandora to take down the notorious Handsome Jack and his corrupt Hyperion Corporation as a solo campaign or with up to four cooperative players.http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/11/NewImage27.png
Borderlands 2 is available for $44.99 on Aspyr's GameAgent store (http://www.gameagent.com/games/borderlands-2). The store has a system requirements checker that can verify the user's Mac against the system requirements before purchase, but here is the abbreviated list of requirements:
Minimum System Requirements

Operating System: 10.7.5 (Lion), 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)
CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Hard Disk Space: 13 GB
Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD 2600
Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8800
Video Memory (VRam): 256 MB

Article Link: Borderlands 2 Arrives on the Mac (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/20/borderlands-2-arrives-on-the-mac/)

Syndra
Nov 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
Sweet.

Sue De Nimes
Nov 20, 2012, 03:10 PM
Even better prices can be had online buy buying the Windows version and adding the serial to a Steam account.

Here for example you can buy it for just 13.99

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19717/Borderlands-2-CD-KEY-Download-PC

xchampx13
Nov 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
Very nice to see.

MacVidCards
Nov 20, 2012, 03:17 PM
Even better prices can be had online buy buying the Windows version and adding the serial to a Steam account.

But will that work on a Mac in OSX?

mrgraff
Nov 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
The "system requirements checker" is a neat feature to include, provided you have a Facebook or Twitter account and allow their app to run using the Java plug-in.

Thankfully, the specs are right there on the page, but the checker could've been a lot less convoluted for those who would prefer to use one. The "Crucial System Scanner" from crucial.com is a good model to follow.

lordreye
Nov 20, 2012, 03:26 PM
But will that work on a Mac in OSX?

Yes it will work on both Mac and Windows. Read about "SteamPlay"... buy it on one platform, play it on either. You purchase either the Mac or the Windows version and you can install them both on their respective platforms.

Littleodie914
Nov 20, 2012, 03:37 PM

http://www.simplygames.com/info/19717/Borderlands-2-CD-KEY-Download-PCI can't seem to create an account there. Their Country options for "Billing Address" do not include the United States? :confused:

roadbloc
Nov 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
Pricey.

bpcookson
Nov 20, 2012, 03:42 PM
I don't trust minimum system requirements. I'll be hunting for a demo to verify whether it runs acceptably.

Nermal
Nov 20, 2012, 04:04 PM

Thanks, that's a huge saving over the US$70 that Steam wants for it here!

Edit: Although it hasn't turned up within the promised 10 minutes...

Edit 2: It's arrived. I can't see how to actually redeem it through the Steam site so I won't be able to test it until I get home.

Edit 3: It works :)

ps45
Nov 20, 2012, 04:21 PM

Helpful post, thanks. I think I will try that.

Sue De Nimes
Nov 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
I can't seem to create an account there. Their Country options for "Billing Address" do not include the United States? :confused:

That is because it is a UK site. You will need to find an equivalent in America. I can't suggest any as I don't live there.

It doesn't need to be a CD Key site. Any Windows copy of the game will have a serial in the box that activates on Steam.

----------

Thanks, that's a huge saving over the US$70 that Steam wants for it here!

Edit: Although it hasn't turned up within the promised 10 minutes...

Edit 2: It's arrived. I can't see how to actually redeem it through the Steam site so I won't be able to test it until I get home.

Open up Steam.

On your menu bar you will see a menu marked games. On that menu select "Activate a product on Steam"

BGrifter
Nov 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Outstanding game, highly recommended if your Mac can run it smoothly. Been playing Borderlands 2 on the PS3 and having a blast with it. Game of the year by a pretty wide margin.

mrfoof82
Nov 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
Bought the game when it game out and activated it on Steam, playing under Windows (Boot Camp).

Came home today and was glad to find that it has the same Steam AppID, so I was just able to install it and I was good to go. Save games use Steam Cloud, so no dealing with that. Golden Keys (22!) were tied to my SHiFT Account, so I had those once I logged in to SHiFT.

Just had to adjust some settings, and I was good to go. There is a framerate hit compared to Windows (was running 1920x1080, 4x FSAA, 16XAF, everything on high), but that's about it.

macchiato2009
Nov 20, 2012, 06:01 PM

thanks for the tip

if someone has successfully done it, please let us know

LagunaSol
Nov 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
The SimplyGames (UK) workaround not only sounds sketchy, but also unfair to Aspyr, who ported the game to Mac. I think we should support Mac gaming by supporting Mac developers.

If you're interested in a more "legitimate" deal, try the MacUpdate sale for $44.99.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/46067/borderlands-2

adder7712
Nov 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Pricey.

It's still $60 on Steam.

NMF
Nov 20, 2012, 08:04 PM
It's been like $20 all over the place at different times over the past few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for deep discounted digital sales. Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game which means every PC copy needs Steam.

Speaking of which, MacRumors really dropped the ball on this news article. The fact that Borderlands 2 is Steamworks-enabled less than two months after release is HUGE. Screw Asper and their BS online store. If you're not playing this game on Steam, you are doing it wrong.

The SimplyGames (UK) workaround not only sounds sketchy, but also unfair to Aspyr, who ported the game to Mac. I think we should support Mac gaming by supporting Mac developers.

If you're interested in a more "legitimate" deal, try the MacUpdate sale for $44.99.

Oh TO HELL with Aspyr and their racket. They've ported so many games to Mac that aren't Steamworks-enabled. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, but I already own those games on PC and should be able to play them on my Mac as well. Thank god Gearbox must have some sort of deal to force them to release on Steam.

Every time I see that port of Batman: Arkham Asylum for $50 or whatever I rage.

PeterQVenkman
Nov 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
It's been like $20 all over the place at different times over the past few weeks. Keep your eyes peeled for deep discounted digital sales. Borderlands 2 is a Steamworks game which means every PC copy needs Steam.

Speaking of which, MacRumors really dropped the ball on this news article. The fact that Borderlands 2 is Steamworks-enabled less than two months after release is HUGE. Screw Asper and their BS online store. If you're not playing this game on Steam, you are doing it wrong.

Oh TO HELL with Aspyr and their racket. They've ported so many games to Mac that aren't Steamworks-enabled. Maybe that's not a big deal to you, but I already own those games on PC and should be able to play them on my Mac as well. Thank god Gearbox must have some sort of deal to force them to release on Steam.

You should write for gizmodo.

CrispyChan
Nov 20, 2012, 09:10 PM
Bought the game when it game out and activated it on Steam, playing under Windows (Boot Camp).

Just had to adjust some settings, and I was good to go. There is a framerate hit compared to Windows (was running 1920x1080, 4x FSAA, 16XAF, everything on high), but that's about it.

What were your new settings for the Mac port?

It plays beautifully under bootcamp on almost all high settings on my iMac (mid-2011, i7 3.4, AMD 6970M 2GB) but when I tried the Mac port....it's TERRIBLE. No matter what resolution its stuttering and extremely slow/laggy.

Can anybody help me with improving performance??

LagunaSol
Nov 20, 2012, 10:47 PM
Oh TO HELL with Aspyr and their racket. They've ported so many games to Mac that aren't Steamworks-enabled.

Or maybe we could show them we want Steam-powered games by, oh, I dunno, buying their Steam-powered games?

roadbloc
Nov 21, 2012, 02:34 AM
It's still $60 on Steam.

Strange. It's about $2 cheaper here in the UK for both the Mac + PC version on Steam than it is for the Mac only one in the US. :confused:

badsandwich
Nov 21, 2012, 03:29 AM

You're thinking of Feral Interactive, who don't do Steam. Aspyr have only released a few games to date that weren't steamplay- black ops (EDIT: and Rage and Company of Heroes.)- and it wasn't very good.

star-affinity
Nov 21, 2012, 04:15 AM
What were your new settings for the Mac port?

It plays beautifully under bootcamp on almost all high settings on my iMac (mid-2011, i7 3.4, AMD 6970M 2GB) but when I tried the Mac port....it's TERRIBLE. No matter what resolution its stuttering and extremely slow/laggy.

Can anybody help me with improving performance??

I had similar problems with the first Borderlands in OS X. Had to turn off a lot of effects even on very high end hardware. Even then performance was only decent.

I'd say it's time for Apple to put some investments (money) in game performance on OS X. Give Nvidia and AMD the resources they need to make the drivers in OS X perform closer to Windows. I can understand that it might be too much to ask it be on par, since Microsoft focused a lot on DirectX with the Xbox, and drivers are being developed at a much faster pace for Windows. But still, I think the performance difference between OS X compared to Windows for the same game on the same hardware is too big.

Sue De Nimes
Nov 21, 2012, 04:35 AM

It isn't a workaround - it is a shoparound. It is a perfectly legit purchase.

Those who don't shop around deserve to pay RRP.

:D

macchiato2009
Nov 21, 2012, 05:00 AM
will the game run smoothly on a 2012 Macbook Air or would it need a stronger configuration ?

ReallyBigFeet
Nov 21, 2012, 05:12 AM

Came home today and was glad to find that it has the same Steam AppID, so I was just able to install it and I was good to go. Save games use Steam Cloud, so no dealing with that. Golden Keys (22!) were tied to my SHiFT Account, so I had those once I logged in to SHiFT.

This is always what peeves me about OSX gaming. The same game typically runs BETTER on Windows under Bootcamp than in native OSX. So I have to denigrate my MBP into a Windows laptop for best gaming performance.

gazzared
Nov 21, 2012, 06:54 AM
Is this likely to appear in the mac app store as well? It's just I have some iTunes vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. The first one was, so was hoping the sequel would be as well.

Sue De Nimes
Nov 21, 2012, 07:09 AM
I had similar problems with the first Borderlands in OS X. Had to turn off a lot of effects even on very high end hardware. Even then performance was only decent.

I'd say it's time for Apple to put some investments (money) in game performance on OS X. Give Nvidia and AMD the resources they need to make the drivers in OS X perform closer to Windows. I can understand that it might be too much to ask it be on par, since Microsoft focused a lot on DirectX with the Xbox, and drivers are being developed at a much faster pace for Windows. But still, I think the performance difference between OS X compared to Windows for the same game on the same hardware is too big.

Apple should just licence DirectX

extricated
Nov 21, 2012, 07:15 AM
Time for a new computer.
Darn specs. haha

frayne182
Nov 21, 2012, 07:45 AM
This is always what peeves me about OSX gaming. The same game typically runs BETTER on Windows under Bootcamp than in native OSX. So I have to denigrate my MBP into a Windows laptop for best gaming performance.

PC and Windows is definitely better for gaming. Personally I'd just have a dedicated gaming machine. They don't cost much to build these days if you don't want the latest and greatest

badsandwich
Nov 21, 2012, 07:49 AM
Is this likely to appear in the mac app store as well? It's just I have some iTunes vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. The first one was, so was hoping the sequel would be as well.

Yes, later on. But you won't be able to do co-op with people with the Steam version.

BornAgainMac
Nov 21, 2012, 09:39 AM
I am curious about this game. The graphics are unique.

Sue De Nimes
Nov 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
Macgamestore.com has it for $44.95. Just bought it, great game. I used their compatibility checker to make sure it worked on my Mac.

http://www.macgamestore.com/product/2553/Borderlands-2/

Why didn't you buy it somewhere cheaper? It will probably be in the Steam sale over the next few days.

richlin71
Nov 21, 2012, 12:51 PM
Why didn't you buy it somewhere cheaper? It will probably be in the Steam sale over the next few days.

It's currently on sale on Steam for $45.

theanimaster
Nov 21, 2012, 08:26 PM

Yeah, friggin hell! I just paid 59.99 not twelve hours ago and now it's 44.99. WTF.

Still, I also got the Mechromancer pack for another 9.99. To hell with this thing called money. It's a friggin' awesome (and funny) game!

adder7712
Nov 21, 2012, 11:18 PM
will the game run smoothly on a 2012 Macbook Air or would it need a stronger configuration ?

I think it needs a discrete GPU in order to be playable.

throAU
Nov 21, 2012, 11:31 PM
If you buy it through steam, you get access to both the OS X and Windows version for the same purchase.

A friend has been playing it on a reasonably crappy gaming PC her built for it and other Windows only games - he bougth through steam and it showed up in his OS X steam client last night as available and free for him to download.

TheTop4884
Nov 22, 2012, 05:18 AM
Deos it work in my macbook pro 13 i5 2012?

roadbloc
Nov 22, 2012, 05:34 AM
Apple should just licence DirectX

Or at least have the latest OpenGL in their OS.

Sue De Nimes
Nov 22, 2012, 06:50 AM

Some advice for you and others on the Steam sales.

Never buy anything until the last day unless it is on a daily special. The way the sale operates is you have discounts for the entire sale period. Selected items are discounted even further for the flash and daily sales.

For example Game A might be 25% off for the entire sale but on day 2 is available at 75% off.

Game A will be available at 25% off until the last minute of the sale. If you hold off until last day of the sale you maximise your chances of it coming up as a special.

macchiato2009
Nov 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Deos it work in my macbook pro 13 i5 2012?

MBP 13 has the same intel graphic chipset as MBA so as per previous answer, it won't run smoothly

beestigbeestje
Nov 22, 2012, 09:16 AM
It runs best with everything set to the max, except anisotropic filtering. resolution 1440x900. Can't go any higher.
If I lower the graphics, it's unplayable slow. Weird problem.

any thoughts?

imacken
Nov 22, 2012, 09:55 AM

22 on UK Steam.

gazzared
Nov 22, 2012, 12:14 PM
22 on UK Steam.

2 days after release and we get a sale :cool:

BillyBobBongo
Nov 22, 2012, 12:22 PM

It's quite possible that I love you! :D

R1PPER
Nov 22, 2012, 06:58 PM
I just got this on steam.....Wow what an intro...and it's teflon smooth at full resolution on my 2011 iMac. Finally quality titles on os x.

JordanNZ
Nov 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Or at least have the latest OpenGL in their OS.

The spec version has nothing to do with how 'fast' the implementation is.

roadbloc
Nov 23, 2012, 02:40 AM
The spec version has nothing to do with how 'fast' the implementation is.

Fair enough. But whatever is letting gaming performance down on OS X... they need to sort it somehow. I wonder if its the ports that are shoddy.

JordanNZ
Nov 23, 2012, 04:58 AM
Fair enough. But whatever is letting gaming performance down on OS X... they need to sort it somehow. I wonder if its the ports that are shoddy.

It's a combination of factors. You can't really blame it on one thing. Some games run better than others.

For instance Portal2 runs just as fast on the 6970m in my iMac under OSX as it does on windows. But other games are well behind.

imacken
Nov 23, 2012, 05:59 AM
I don't see much of a difference between running on OS X and Bootcamp on my iMac 3.4GHz, 6970M rig.
I have played Deus Ex, Dragon Age II, Rage, etc. on both OS X and Windows and can see no difference.

roadbloc
Nov 23, 2012, 08:57 AM
I don't see much of a difference between running on OS X and Bootcamp on my iMac 3.4GHz, 6970M rig.
I have played Deus Ex, Dragon Age II, Rage, etc. on both OS X and Windows and can see no difference.

Seriously? I see a worlds worth of difference. Especially RAGE. OS X RAGE works like trash, constantly reloading cells and very little graphic capability compared to the Windows version.

Valve games are pretty close, but I still think Windows has the edge.

imacken
Nov 23, 2012, 09:06 AM
Seriously? I see a worlds worth of difference. Especially RAGE. OS X RAGE works like trash, constantly reloading cells and very little graphic capability compared to the Windows version.

I don't see that at all. How much RAM do you have? I'm using 16Gb.
Rage looks as good on OS X as Windows, and runs very smoothly for me maxxed out at 2560x1440. Just wish I was better in the fights in the Arena!

roadbloc
Nov 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
I don't see that at all. How much RAM do you have? I'm using 16Gb.
Rage looks as good on OS X as Windows, and runs very smoothly for me maxxed out at 2560x1440. Just wish I was better in the fights in the Arena!

Ah, my Mac only has 4GB, but I thought RAGE was a 32bit program.

star-affinity
Nov 24, 2012, 08:59 AM

It might not be always be too obvious since the difference comes when there's a lot of action on the screen and when a lot of polygons are in view. The frame rate dip is generally much higher in OS X in these situations. Also turning on/up shaders in the graphics option in games (where possible) seem to have a higher frame rate penalty in OS X than in Windows. But of course different games behave differently and some work better in OS X than others.

Sue De Nimes
Nov 24, 2012, 06:25 PM
On the STEAM sale at the moment.

50% off so only 14.99

beestigbeestje
Nov 24, 2012, 06:59 PM
On the STEAM sale at the moment.

50% off so only 14.99

yeah, I literally were an hour too soon, I had only 25 % off

Anyways, I reinstalled the whole thing, (lost my game progress). Gaming performance hasn't improved. Will be waiting for the next efi update I guess..

PaulKemp
Nov 25, 2012, 08:14 AM
Helloes, any one got a wired xbox controller working with Borderlands 2? Big picture mode does recognise it, but the game doesn't.

Aslo, what are you saying about performance? Should we expect better performance?

No use in saying that I should just play with a mouse and keyboard.

taglea2
Nov 25, 2012, 10:08 AM
I've got a unibody MacBook 13.3" from Late 2008 with a GeForce 9400M. Has anybody tried the Mac version on this video card? The memory requirements match (256 MB) but Aspyr doesn't seem to like the 9400M chipset for some reason. Was hoping to get the game while Steam has it for 50% off

Sue De Nimes
Nov 25, 2012, 11:57 AM
yeah, I literally were an hour too soon, I had only 25 % off

I did post advice a few days ago on this thread. Here it is again for anyone else. This is advice to follow for all Steam sales.

Some advice for you and others on the Steam sales.

Never buy anything until the last day unless it is on a daily special. The way the sale operates is you have discounts for the entire sale period. Selected items are discounted even further for the flash and daily sales.

For example Game A might be 25% off for the entire sale but on day 2 is available at 75% off.

Game A will be available at 25% off until the last minute of the sale. If you hold off until last day of the sale you maximise your chances of it coming up as a special.

Mr.Marmalade
Nov 25, 2012, 05:32 PM
In case anyone is wondering, I'm running the game with good results on Snow Leopard. Despite the system requirements stating that you need Lion or Mountain Lion, I took the gamble with the 50% Steam Sale.

This was using a 2010 iMac with a 4670 256mb. I searched for all this info and couldn't find any results, so don't be put off by the OS system requirements.

cryingrobot
Nov 28, 2012, 01:15 AM

I disagree with your comment on Aspyr. There is no DMR on these things at all. You can copy them as one file onto an external and then play it on another computer whether you are on line or not. Also, their ports are rock solid and pretty cheap.

I think the ones you want to criticize are Ferral. They charge an arm and a leg for their mac ports.

InuNacho
Nov 29, 2012, 10:06 AM
In case anyone is wondering, I'm running the game with good results on Snow Leopard. Despite the system requirements stating that you need Lion or Mountain Lion, I took the gamble with the 50% Steam Sale.

This was using a 2010 iMac with a 4670 256mb. I searched for all this info and couldn't find any results, so don't be put off by the OS system requirements.

Dang, wish I knew that you could use SL earlier. Thanks for that information!

jalebibai
Nov 30, 2012, 12:54 AM
this is the best software ever

anutharoundu
Nov 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
I can finally play this on my mac!

http://self-confdence-coach.com/images/101.gif

SimonCZ
Jan 21, 2013, 09:57 AM
Unfortunately all my friends have PCs and I would love to play multiplayer with them. Cross platform hasn't been available on Steam from launch since the versions are out of synch. Every time Gearbox release an update it takes Aspyr months to patch the Mac, seems like they just can't keep up. Really want to buy the game but will wait till the versions are in Synch.

marknicolas12
Jan 22, 2013, 12:49 AM
Amazon.de just informed me that they have shipped the book and should arrive shortly

Solomani
Jan 22, 2013, 05:46 AM
Ah, my Mac only has 4GB, but I thought RAGE was a 32bit program.

We're discussing one of the latest high-performance Mac/Win FPS shooters, and YOU only have 4GB of RAM?! No wonder you're whining about game performance. ;)

roadbloc
Jan 22, 2013, 08:34 AM
We're discussing one of the latest high-performance Mac/Win FPS shooters, and YOU only have 4GB of RAM?! No wonder you're whining about game performance. ;)

Doesn't make a difference. I have yet to come across a game that is a 64bit program, thus they can't use anymore than about 3.5GB of RAM.

I don't game on my Mac much anyway. I've got a PC rig for that. Apple's inability to keep up with the latest OpenGL drivers hinders the performance of games on OS X (not to mention they are damned expensive unless you get Steam copies).

TechZeke
Jan 23, 2013, 02:00 AM
Doesn't make a difference. I have yet to come across a game that is a 64bit program, thus they can't use anymore than about 3.5GB of RAM.

I don't game on my Mac much anyway. I've got a PC rig for that. Apple's inability to keep up with the latest OpenGL drivers hinders the performance of games on OS X (not to mention they are damned expensive unless you get Steam copies).

It's really a shame, as Mac gaming is finally starting to gain traction with Steam and Apple putting powerful GPUs in their high end lines.

Look at the iMac compared to PC AIOs. Find me a PC AIO with atleast a GTX 660M.

However, Bootcamp can be partly to blame. Since it's so easy to just load up windows and re-boot, there probably isn't a rush at apple to improve gaming performance in OSX. Civ 5 runs like sh-t on mac?(Which it does BTW) Just re-boot into windows and poof 60 seconds later I'm playing Civ 5 natively on windows.

My 'gaming rig' is literally the windows side of my MBP.(The GT 650M coupled with the i7 quad is really a monster, Everything I throw at runs on ATLEAST high settings smoother than silk, if not max.)