Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
Alright, I've finally decided that a 15" PB is for me. I can get a nice one from the apple store for 1799 with the edu discount or a refurbished one for 1699. But then the rumors have been swirling that they're about to update the powerbooks next week. But with no keynote, how likely is this to actually happen? Will the price difference be that much to make a difference for me? Should i wait?

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
WRXHokie said:
Alright, I've finally decided that a 15" PB is for me. I can get a nice one from the apple store for 1799 with the edu discount or a refurbished one for 1699. But then the rumors have been swirling that they're about to update the powerbooks next week. But with no keynote, how likely is this to actually happen? Will the price difference be that much to make a difference for me? Should i wait?
Do you need the PB now? If not then why not wait. It's not going to do any harm and Apple may still make little updates even though there is no keynote - they may do it via the Q&A.

WRXHokie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
Gotha, FL
No dont need it right away... but i'm going on some travel starting in a couple weeks, and it would be nice to have it before i leave.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
WRXHokie said:
No dont need it right away... but i'm going on some travel starting in a couple weeks, and it would be nice to have it before i leave.

If they do introduce new ones next week as expected, then you MAY be able to have one in a couple of weeks if you buy it stock.
If you buy it BTO, I think it's iffy that you'll have it in a couple of weeks.

However, I second Euan's opinion that if you don't need it now, you should go ahead & wait.

Good luck!

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
WRXHokie said:
I was wrong, i'm going on the road starting next weekend.
Ok well that changes things slightly. If there is an update, it is unclear how quickly this will be available. It may be available immediately but how long orders will take to process who knows. If you've an apple store near you, you may be able to purchase instore any revision from Expo.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
WRXHokie said:
I was wrong, I'm going on the road starting next weekend.

If a new PowerBook is announced next week, chances are it wouldn't arrive in time for your trip. So if you are in need of a new PowerBook now then I would go ahead an purchase. The current model is a great computer and will enjoy many years of service.

tjlazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Tacoma, WA USA
I wonder what kind of update we can expect? I recently got a PB 15" see my sig. It is a pretty nice laptop and is light to tug around. Great for a trip!

Manzana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Orange County, CA
get it now!!!

the 15" powerbook is just an awesome machine. i bought mine over a year ago (1.33, 768, 60gig, combo, 64mbATI) and i've seen two upgrades in that time and although i wouldn't mind getting all those goodies i have to tell you that i feel as though i don't miss much since this machine can do everything i need it do now! although i would love a 5400rpm drive :)

therefore, why wait? i mean it's not as if the next rev will be the intel books which is the next real reason to upgrade. you need this 'book for your trip also, you will love it and the sooner you get it the quicker you'll be able to get all sorts of goodies to take on the trip with you (aps, movies, pics, tunes).

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
tjlazer said:
I wonder what kind of update we can expect? I recently got a PB 15" see my sig. It is a pretty nice laptop and is light to tug around. Great for a trip!

As many other threads have already speculated, all expect 90-nm 7448 G4 CPU, which has 200 MHz FSB (up from 167 MHz FSB), 1 MB L2 cache (up from 512 KB), new Altivec out-of-order instructions support, and much lower power consumption.

The rest are pure speculations, ranging from higher resolution LCD on 17" model, widescreen 12" model, new and faster GPU, Mighty Mouse-like "right button" sensor, etc.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
nutmac said:
As many other threads have already speculated, all expect 90-nm 7448 G4 CPU, which has 200 MHz FSB (up from 167 MHz FSB), 1 MB L2 cache (up from 512 KB), new Altivec out-of-order instructions support, and much lower power consumption.

The rest are pure speculations, ranging from higher resolution LCD on 17" model, widescreen 12" model, new and faster GPU, Mighty Mouse-like "right button" sensor, etc.

The macintels will blow ppc macs out of the water when they come out, but for now I'll make do with the 7448 ones.. come on Apple! You heard the cash speaking!

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
IF there is an update, Apple will drop the price of the existing models.

Why not wait to see IF the PowerBooks are updated,
then have Apple ship your order to where ever you
are heading to.

OR...

Just go to the AppleStore nearest you after you know for sure what's up following the Paris Expo announcements.

One of my close friends caved 2 weeks before the last PowerMac update paying $2299 for her Rev B 2.0 dual G5.
14 days later I bought the same unit for $1699.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
FFTT said:
IF there is an update, Apple will drop the price of the existing models.

One of my close friends caved 2 weeks before the last PowerMac update paying $2299 for her Rev B 2.0 dual G5.
14 days later I bought the same unit for $1699.

That must have hurt. :(

Still both of you have an awesome Mac.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
FFTT said:
One of my close friends caved 2 weeks before the last PowerMac update paying $2299 for her Rev B 2.0 dual G5.14 days later I bought the same unit for $1699.
Ouch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.