Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qwerty11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
So right now everything is connected to the internet via wifi from the airport express. I was wondering if I would see faster speeds on my iMac if I connected directly via ethernet?

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
So right now everything is connected to the internet via wifi from the airport express. I was wondering if I would see faster speeds on my iMac if I connected directly via ethernet?

Depending on your imac, airport base station and internet speed it could, but proabley won't. It will only make a real difference (when talking about traffic between your computer and the internet) if your internet connection speed is over the speed of your wifi (which will most likely be 54mbp/s or 300mbp/s).

However it will dramatically increase internal network speeds, for example, transfering a backup of one of my xbox cames from the storage drive on my server (around 8gb of data) takes about a hour over 54mbp/s wifi, 20 - 30mins over 100mbp/s eth and 5-10 mins over 1gbp/s eth

rwwest7

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2011
You would see a difference. Wifi is shared and easily messed up by interferance, such as cordless phones and microwave ovens. Wire is always better, wifi is for conveniance only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.