PDA

View Full Version : Would my internet speed increase with direct ethernet vs AP Express?

Qwerty11
Nov 24, 2012, 01:05 PM
So right now everything is connected to the internet via wifi from the airport express. I was wondering if I would see faster speeds on my iMac if I connected directly via ethernet?

max••
Nov 24, 2012, 02:23 PM
So right now everything is connected to the internet via wifi from the airport express. I was wondering if I would see faster speeds on my iMac if I connected directly via ethernet?

Depending on your imac, airport base station and internet speed it could, but proabley won't. It will only make a real difference (when talking about traffic between your computer and the internet) if your internet connection speed is over the speed of your wifi (which will most likely be 54mbp/s or 300mbp/s).

However it will dramatically increase internal network speeds, for example, transfering a backup of one of my xbox cames from the storage drive on my server (around 8gb of data) takes about a hour over 54mbp/s wifi, 20 - 30mins over 100mbp/s eth and 5-10 mins over 1gbp/s eth

Qwerty11
Nov 24, 2012, 04:37 PM
Oh ok. Its a 2011 iMac.

rwwest7
Nov 24, 2012, 10:40 PM
You would see a difference. Wifi is shared and easily messed up by interferance, such as cordless phones and microwave ovens. Wire is always better, wifi is for conveniance only.

karter16
Dec 2, 2012, 05:35 PM
Wire is always better, wifi is for conveniance only.

Only if your wired network is at a higher speed than your wireless network. Wired network with 10mbps hub for example is not going to be faster than 802.11n wireless.

1 gigabit ethernet faster than 802.11n. yes.