PDA

View Full Version : Am I safe from this?

TheMonarch
Sep 18, 2005, 10:18 PM
This doesn't affect me right?! (http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050918/ts_latimes/noweverykeystrokecanbetrayyou;_ylt=AlTsNGuWH2vVfNGD.xJPS.8DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCU l)

I do A LOT of online banking, I'm too lazy to go to the bank. And this is what makes me paranoid, I know I'm on a Mac, but still, I need reassurance... Am I safe from all of this? Or is this done at a network level or something...

EDIT: I dont do anything stupid like 'confirm my password' and junk like that, but I also don't even think about virus risks and such... And I'm also on wireless (WPA)... Does this affect my 'risks'?

mad jew
Sep 18, 2005, 10:29 PM
You're safe as houses for the time being from Spyware and the such. As far as I know, these programs still all use Windows-based executaries to run and therefore will not work on Macs.

However, the wireless security issue is another story. It is possible for a person to get on your wireless network and intercept information that you are transferring from your router and your Mac. If this information is banking passwords and pin numbers, then they can (assuming they're pretty savvy with a computer) access your online banking just as you could, with all the same privileges. This would be rare though, and generally only likely at a public WiFi spot such as a cafe. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You'd have to be pretty smart to get this info wirelessly from a PC and the OSX differences are enough to throw most hackers IMO. Nevertheless, sometimes a good idea to turn off file sharing preferences in public WiFi spots, just to make it harder (closer to impossible) for hackers.

powerbook911
Sep 19, 2005, 12:33 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you're still safe at a banking site, in a public hot spot because the site uses SSL encryption. That creates a secure connection between your computer and the bank's system. Does it not?

paleck
Sep 19, 2005, 12:57 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you're still safe at a banking site, in a public hot spot because the site uses SSL encryption. That creates a secure connection between your computer and the bank's system. Does it not?

But that would not stop a keylogger from capturing login information if you are using a public computer.

Applespider
Sep 19, 2005, 03:47 AM

But if you're using a wireless connection, unless you've set up a secure VPN link through the router which encrypts all the traffic, the link between your browser and their browser is secure in the route it takes across the interweb, but there's no guarantee that someone isn't sitting in the wifi hotspot sniffing out the packets of data on the way between your computer and the router and could be able to crack them.

alexprice
Sep 19, 2005, 01:07 PM
This doesn't affect me right?! (http://news.yahoo.com/s/latimests/20050918/ts_latimes/noweverykeystrokecanbetrayyou;_ylt=AlTsNGuWH2vVfNGD.xJPS.8DW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCU l)

I do A LOT of online banking, I'm too lazy to go to the bank. And this is what makes me paranoid, I know I'm on a Mac, but still, I need reassurance... Am I safe from all of this? Or is this done at a network level or something...

EDIT: I dont do anything stupid like 'confirm my password' and junk like that, but I also don't even think about virus risks and such... And I'm also on wireless (WPA)... Does this affect my 'risks'?

You are safe!

Alex Price

i4k20c
Sep 19, 2005, 01:49 PM
this is why..

idk, my bank has a number that you can call to get ure account information, like balance, and transcations which you've made, and i prefer that to internet banking, it seems safer.. :confused:

andiwm2003
Sep 19, 2005, 02:55 PM
my german bank has a different system (i think all german banks do this since 1995 or so). you log on to your account with a pin. that allows you to see everything. but for every transaction you need to type a transaction number from a printed list that your bank sends you.
this transaction number can only be used once and only in the order they where printed. so even if somebody sniffs you password they still have to steal the paper with your transaction numbers.

idiot proof even when you use a public computer in an internet cafe in moscow.

why the us banks don't use that I can't explain. maybe stupidity?

wdlove
Sep 19, 2005, 07:06 PM
It's good news to hear that we are safe. I feel that my bank is very reliable. Have to use two passwords at the site.

dubbz
Sep 19, 2005, 07:14 PM

The bank I use have this little "code calculator" where you enter a PIN number. It then spits outs out a number that you use, along with your personal number (similar, I believe, to the social security number for those in the US) to log into the bank.

I guess it's kind of a similar system.