PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here use saliva to clean their ibook/pb?

WillMak
Sep 20, 2005, 02:09 AM
I usually dab my finger in my own saliva and wipe in on my ibook screen to clean off stains or oils. It hasn't been working too well recently. Anyone suggest any other alternatives?

mad jew
Sep 20, 2005, 02:10 AM
Alternatives? Non-body-secreted fluids such as Windex? :p

WillMak
Sep 20, 2005, 02:14 AM
windex is safe for lcds? sweet. damn I don't have in the house. Can I just use water and a rag?

mad jew
Sep 20, 2005, 02:19 AM
I'll have people running after me with flaming torches and axes, but I always clean my screen by spraying a tiny bit of Windex onto a very soft cloth (one without pith) and then wipe the screen. Apparently it wipes the protective coating off the LCD though. :(

I've never had any problems. :)

WillMak
Sep 20, 2005, 02:20 AM
I'll have people running after me with flaming torches and axes, but I always clean my screen by spraying a tiny bit of Windex onto a very soft cloth (one without pith) and then wipe the screen. Apparently it wipes the protective coating off the LCD though. :(

I've never had any problems. :)

huh? I didn't even know the lcd had a protective coating...oh no, does saliva or water kill this protective coating as well?

mad jew
Sep 20, 2005, 02:25 AM
I guess saliva would, but I don't know about water. My oldest LCD is three years and it's fine, after cleaning it with Windex about once every three months or so. :)

California
Sep 20, 2005, 02:27 AM
Saliva is a digestive enzyme.

It is the start of the intensive digestive process in your stomach.

You know, what breaks down meat, celery, broccoli, powerbars, etc., in your stomach.

Why it "isn't working too well lately" on your pb ibooks?

Because it is trying to break down the plastics/paints/metals/lcd screen that you're rubbing your spit on.

STOP IT. NOW!!!

Apple suggests pure water on a soft cloth for cleaning LCDs etc. This is a much more stable and neutral fluid.

Reminds me of my dad, who pee'd into house plants when my mom wasn't looking.

Killed 'em.

That's what you are doing to the shine and finish of your computers with saliva. There's also bacteria in saliva that I wouldn't want anywhere near my computer. But that's just me.

chucknorris
Sep 20, 2005, 02:27 AM
I guess saliva would, but I don't know about water. My oldest LCD is three years and it's fine, after cleaning it with Windex about once every three months or so. :)

Heretic! String up the heretic! This musn't stand!!!!!

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 02:34 AM

Killed 'em.

Nice, too much information. I almost pissed myself laughing :D :D :D

WillMak
Sep 20, 2005, 02:35 AM
Saliva is a digestive enzyme.

It is the start of the intensive digestive process in your stomach.

You know, what breaks down meat, celery, broccoli, powerbars, etc., in your stomach.

Why it "isn't working too well lately" on your pb ibooks?

Because it is trying to break down the plastics/paints/metals/lcd screen that you're rubbing your spit on.

STOP IT. NOW!!!

I don't think saliva can really breakdown celery and glucose. Aren't those foods made up of glucose beta monomers? Can saliva really hurt the screen since it's not really a monosaccharide?

edit: I mean polysacchire (the lcd that is)

nomad01
Sep 20, 2005, 02:41 AM
I don't think saliva can really breakdown celery and glucose. Aren't those foods made up of glucose beta monomers? Can saliva really hurt the screen since it's not really a monosaccharide?

edit: I mean polysacchire

I'm just sucking my screen now so I'll let you know shortly.

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 02:47 AM

edit: I mean polysacchire
First, celery has beta linkages, which we can't break without the help of our little GI friends, or some beano. Glucose is a monomer so no breakage needed. We have alpha amylase in our saliva so it breaks down dextrose, sucrose (ie dimers or more). There are also salivary proteases, lipases and nucleases so you get basically everything in a nice gobby lugie. Everyone just likes to assume that all our salivary glands are for is producing amylase and swelling when we get the kissing disease.

California
Sep 20, 2005, 02:49 AM

edit: I mean polysacchire (the lcd that is)

Okay, try this. Roll around a piece of celery in your mouth for a few minutes. What do you have when you take it out? Yeah, the digestive enzymes in saliva have started to break it down into mush.

As for spit on my LCD screen? I'm not going to sacrifice my screen to find out.

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 02:53 AM
Okay, try this. Roll around a piece of celery in your mouth for a few minutes. What do you have when you take it out? Yeah, the digestive enzymes in saliva have started to break it down into mush.

As for spit on my LCD screen? I'm not going to sacrifice my screen to find out.
I should have been clearer in my post by saying that the cellulose in celery is beta-linkages so we can't digest that aspect of it. There's still protein and lipids and what not that our little salivary doozers can chomp through.

mad jew
Sep 20, 2005, 02:53 AM
Okay, this thread is hysterical. :D

I wouldn't worry too much about the protective layer on LCDs too much. What you can't see, you won't miss. :p

California
Sep 20, 2005, 02:56 AM
I should have been clearer in my post by saying that the cellulose in celery is beta-linkages so we can't digest that aspect of it. There's still protein and lipids and what not that our little salivary doozers can chomp through.

Oh yeah, I remember -- maybe celery was a bad choice for an example because I don't think it can really be totally digested by the stomach.

But for a good example of how powerful digestive enzymes are, my sister once had a cat who had swallowed a penny. That little kitty's enzymes ATE A HOLE RIGHT THROUGH IT.

I don't want anything that has to do with digestive juice on my 'puters. Sorry!

mad jew
Sep 20, 2005, 02:58 AM
So these celery-based PowerBooks, do they get as hot as the aluminium ones? I don't particularly care for boiled vegetables. :o

WillMak
Sep 20, 2005, 03:00 AM
hehe. are you two premeds also?

California
Sep 20, 2005, 03:02 AM
Celery based powerbooks? Mad Jew, that could be a new great idea. Translucent, too!

California
Sep 20, 2005, 03:03 AM
hehe. are you two premeds also?

No, that would be my dad, the surgeon, who did chemical experiments on our house plants.

WillMak
Sep 20, 2005, 03:04 AM
No, that would be my dad, the surgeon, who did chemical experiments on our house plants.

your dads a surgeon????sweet. which part of california are you from?

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 03:07 AM
That is sweet. A pot piss'n surgeon for a father :D

California
Sep 20, 2005, 03:11 AM
your dads a surgeon????sweet. which part of california are you from?

Southern. Private practice/also taught at USC.

But my dad died a few years back. Miss him. And all those dead house plants. He would've appreciated this post, he was a chemist at heart, and his "pot piss'n" endeavors were the least sophisticated thing about him.

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 03:18 AM
Southern. Private practice/also taught at USC.

But my dad died a few years back. Miss him. And all those dead house plants. He would've appreciated this post, he was a chemist at heart, and his "pot piss'n" endeavors were the least sophisticated thing about him.
Sounds like he was a fun guy to hang around with. Sorry for your loss

Abstract
Sep 20, 2005, 05:36 AM
Everyone just likes to assume that all our salivary glands are for is producing amylase and swelling when we get the kissing disease.

Man, I HATE! it when people just assume that. Every time I overhear a saliva conversation at the café, I just know they're going to mention amylase, but completely disregard the role of proteases and nucleases. They just don't know the whole story like you or I.

Abstract
Sep 20, 2005, 05:40 AM
PS: I drop a bit of spit onto the palmrests of my Powerbook and clean it with either a tissue, or my shirt.

Err
Sep 20, 2005, 08:21 AM
ewwwww

people just spend the 10$ on a pack of iKlear for your LCD and palm rest, windex has amonia in it so stop using it, and saliva... do you let others use your computer after a saliva bath? sounds like a case of "i got herpies from a mac" waiting to happen... lol
:D

mad jew
Sep 20, 2005, 08:24 AM
What's wrong with a bit of ammonia? It hasn't visibly damaged any of my LCDs.

Of, course, the herpies is taking a toll on my eyesight though. :(

Abstract
Sep 20, 2005, 10:17 AM
My eyesight is suffering from Pink-Eye.

dcv
Sep 20, 2005, 10:31 AM
Perhaps if you lick the PowerBook for long enough it'll start to taste sweet :p

Err
Sep 20, 2005, 10:36 AM

I rem reading a story about ammonia distroying the anti-glare coating of CRT's, not sure whats used on LCD's but why even play with fire when theres a 10$ product made to clean LCD's? Hell, a bottle of windex must cost a 3-4 bucks right? I just think its cheap easy insurance to protecting your display for years to come :)

UTB_Avid
Sep 20, 2005, 11:08 AM
I use this - http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx#
Its great, I can't believe more laptop users don't have them.

iklear, like most single use products, is a ripoff. :p

wdlove
Sep 20, 2005, 11:16 AM
No, I definitely don't use any saliva on the PowerBook or iBook. Just use iKlear.

Err
Sep 20, 2005, 11:18 AM
I use this - http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreensavrz.aspx#
Its great, I can't believe more laptop users don't have them.

iklear, like most single use products, is a ripoff. :p

is it just dry? does it have a solution of any kind it coes with?

I dont really consider iKlear a ripoff, i think you get 12 cleaning wipes for 10$ if you use 1 a month you get a year for 10$

they do make a wipe that comes with a bottle of solution like what you linked, but its like 20$

zelmo
Sep 20, 2005, 11:23 AM
Celery based powerbooks? Mad Jew, that could be a new great idea. Translucent, too!

<looks at eMate 300>

Nope, a green translucent body has already been done.
Thank you. Next!

Sun Baked
Sep 20, 2005, 11:23 AM
Alternatives? Non-body-secreted fluids such as Windex? :pI'm glad you said non-body fluids, instead of body fluids other that saliva. http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3304&stc=1

Lacero
Sep 20, 2005, 11:27 AM
The thought of smearing DNA protein over my PB disgusts me. The idea of wasting money buying a name brand cleaning solution also disgusts me. I prefer just to use a cloth damped in a mild soap solution in tepid water.

devilot
Sep 20, 2005, 11:27 AM
further enhance your chances of this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=145337&highlight=real+reason) happening to you and your machine. :p

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 11:31 AM

Well apparently its close friend urea kills off the house-hold plants

I like how everything's coming full circle here
:D

AlBDamned
Sep 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
Use a water wetted but rung chamois leather - the same thing you dry your car off with. It'll clean your powerbook screen, case and keyboard a treat and shouldn't have any digestive enzymes on it and doesn't cost $10!

Sun Baked
Sep 20, 2005, 11:34 AM
Well apparently its close friend urea kills off the house-hold plants

I like how everything's coming full circle here
:DWell at some point somebody is going to suggest getting the dog (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13656) to clean the machine.

Lacero
Sep 20, 2005, 11:37 AM
Speaking of dogs, did anyone catch the premiere season of Oprah?

UTB_Avid
Sep 20, 2005, 11:48 AM
is it just dry? does it have a solution of any kind it coes with?

They recommend just using water with it. So no solution. I usually just dampen a corner, wipe down my screen and then use the dry part to dry my screen. The cloth drys really quickly as well. It works really well, and I use it constantly for dusting my screen.

I swear I don't work for radtech. :p

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 11:56 AM
Well at some point somebody is going to suggest getting the dog (http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13656) to clean the machine.
That's just wrong. Oh well no harm done it's (was) a PC

California
Sep 20, 2005, 01:20 PM
I rem reading a story about ammonia distroying the anti-glare coating of CRT's, not sure whats used on LCD's but why even play with fire when theres a 10$ product made to clean LCD's? Hell, a bottle of windex must cost a 3-4 bucks right? I just think its cheap easy insurance to protecting your display for years to come :)

On another part of this sight -- I think Apple Collectors -- they were complaining because their old classic Macs were turning yellow after ten years. Someone realized that the problem was that Windex was chemically altering the old grey Apple plastics. I'm not putting Windex anywhere near my computers. Honestly, I got my old Tibook screens clean as a whistle with water and light elbow grease. Oh, and I have been using one of those chamois soft "scunci polishing cloths, with no chemical additives. I think it is a fine microfiber material.

And if I was REALLY picky, I'd be using Distilled water rather than tap. (I once heard that Tom Cruise will only have his fleet of cars washed in distilled water. What a hero he is.)

sjjordan
Sep 20, 2005, 01:40 PM
Let me start off by saying this post is awesome! However, the responses that try to explain biology and the components of saliva are phenomenonally absurd. Let's sum it all up:

There's nothing wrong with spitting on your computer. Your saliva is made up of salt components (potassium, Sodium, Chloride, bicarbonate) and a few enzymes, such as amylase, lipase etc. THEY WON'T AFFECT YOUR COMPUTER.

Pennies don't get dissolved by enzymes. They get eaten by the acid produced in your stomach.

There's NO SUCH THING as DNA protein. There is DNA ( a nucleic acid) and proteins. They're completely different.

mad jew
Sep 20, 2005, 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, I'm yet to see a bottle/can/tub/canister/tube/bag/sachet/skull of iKlear down here in Australia. It's not all that easy to get hold of and I haven't had any problems with ammonia or more specifically, Windex. :p

Sun Baked, can you clean up post #36 please, one of the smileys has been sick. I hope you haven't been feeding it iKlear, or even worse, urea. :(

Lord Blackadder
Sep 20, 2005, 02:21 PM

Speaking of urine, stale urine has the same active ingredient as windex (ammonia), so if your screen is dirty and you're in a pinch...

Just thought I'd share. :D

Personally I clean my CRTs with alcohol or windex, but LCDs get LCD screen cleaner I stole from work; can't remember the brand but it isn't ammonia-based.

MUCKYFINGERS
Sep 20, 2005, 02:25 PM
For the case, I use windex and a paper towel. For the keyboard, I use a Q-tip and windex. Then I also use this special LCD cleaner spray and I use a cloth to wipe the dry off the screen after spraying. Then I also use compressed air to get all the dust and stuff off the keyboard/screen. (I work in a campus computer lab so that's why I have access to all this stuff ;)

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 04:01 PM
There's NO SUCH THING as DNA protein. There is DNA ( a nucleic acid) and proteins. They're completely different.
Whoa, hey Whoa

Give Lacero a break. His post The thought of smearing DNA protein over my PB disgusts me
could be he simply left out "and" or maybe he was specifically referring to histones or nucleosomes? I would bet many would consider transcription factors to be DNA proteins as well since that is where they take action (with DNA, so therefore they are DNA proteins, he never said "proteins made of DNA") :D :p :D

VicMacs
Sep 20, 2005, 04:15 PM
sometimes yeah... for cleaning minor stains :)

dops7107
Sep 20, 2005, 04:18 PM
...or maybe he was specifically referring to histones or nucleosomes?

Well I dunno about you but I wouldn't want any proteosomes, spliceosomes, dicers, RISC complexes or any other intracellular nasties on my Mac thank you very much! :D

bah, feel free to flob on your computer, but the fact remains when saliva dries it will probably leave more stuff on the screen than was there to start with.

neocell
Sep 20, 2005, 04:30 PM
Well I dunno about you but I wouldn't want any proteosomes, spliceosomes, dicers, RISC complexes or any other intracellular nasties on my Mac thank you very much! :D

bah, feel free to flob on your computer, but the fact remains when saliva dries it will probably leave more stuff on the screen than was there to start with.
Well as long as what ever it is it doesn't fluoresce under UV.
If it does, :eek: then I'm with mad jew going for the Windex, Ammonia, Bleach and anything else