Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At Apple Expo in Paris, Steve Jobs reaffirmed that Apple would be ready to ship Intel-based Macs by June of 2006.

"We are on track to do that," Jobs told a news conference in Paris, referring to the plan the company announced in June this year.

Apple first announced their plan to move to Intel-based processors in June 2005. At that time, Jobs stated that the transition would take place in less than two years and be complete by the end of 2007. The first Intel Macs were expected to arrive by June of 2006.

Based on Jobs' comments today, this targeted timeframe remains true.

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
I feel sorry for everyone who wait up until 5am for this, but I'm happy to hear the intel transition is on schedule. I think the intel mini will be the perfect machine for 20's guys like me, who love apple, but are dying to play Death Rally, etc. Load up XP? Nah man, I'm loading up Win98se.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Press Release

Check out the market share numbers.

PARIS, Sept 20 (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. Chief Executive Steve Jobs said on Tuesday that the company was on track to ship Intel-based computers as targetted by June 2006.

"We are on track to do that," Jobs told a news conference in Paris, referring to the plan announced in June this year.

He said Apple has a 4.5 percent share of the personal computer market in the United States and a 3 percent share globally.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
Hopefully this will beat some sense into the "Intel Macs in January" people.

But what was under the black cover? Or is it still there, waiting for people in America to wake up and crawl groggily to their computers (apart from the people who stayed up until 5am hoping for a release)?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
i like that. hopefully should get my 12" or 15" intel PowerBook for my 3rd year in university :) even better if its Rev B

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The original Intel iBook is mine. I've been thinking of getting a current one to replace my 800MHz G4 machine, but I can wait until late 2006. I'm guessing that if the minis are the first to go, the iBooks won't be far behind. :)

oskar

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Hattig said:
Hopefully this will beat some sense into the "Intel Macs in January" people.

But what was under the black cover? Or is it still there, waiting for people in America to wake up and crawl groggily to their computers (apart from the people who stayed up until 5am hoping for a release)?

That's what I'm waiting to hear. Who cares if it isn't anything new anymore, but what was behind the black cloth?

MrSugar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2003
This is great news for the future, but what about today? I was really hoping to see some new computer stuff.

Maybe it won't be out for a few weeks.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
Thats what he always said

Hi guys

And thats what he always said ! I never believed anybody saying that it would arrive in January! For a simple reason: he told the developers to get their software shippable by June 06. I mean if they intended to ship earlier then it would be necessary to tell the developers! Because you need the software to ship a computer system - right?

What about those black covers? Are they gone by now or still there?

New products could still come later today at 3 pm (european time - 9 am SF) like always.

Cheers
LaForge

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
CmdrLaForge said:
Hi guys

And thats what he always said ! I never believed anybody saying that it would arrive in January! For a simple reason: he told the developers to get their software shippable by June 06. I mean if they intended to ship earlier then it would be necessary to tell the developers! Because you need the software to ship a computer system - right?

What about those black covers? Are they gone by now or still there?

New products could still come later today at 3 pm (european time - 9 am SF) like always.

Cheers
LaForge

Um, 3pm Europe time is 6am Cupertino time not 9am. Yes, it is 9am east coast time but Apple releases are on a west coast time frame. That makes it 6pm Europe time which I think is a bit late.

hyperpasta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
New Jersey
.Mac

The .Mac update was behind the black cloth. Yes, I was expecting more too, but I think a delay on some products (coughMPcough) made the keynote too empty and be canceled. Then a special event was set up to unveil all products that WERE ready (iPod nano, iTunes 5).

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
MacsRgr8 said:
"We're on schedule..."

Heard that one before.

So, that's it. The MWParis announcement was this. This was behind the black curtains :confused: :(

Or... Maybe the black curtain IS the new Apple product ? :eek:

Seriously:
- they were selling computers since the beginning of the eighties;
- they tried to launch PDA's (read: Newton) - marketing fiasco - ;
- later released this little gizmo (the iPod) and its variations, and now the iPod is a major item in the sales;
- they're trying their teeth on the phone market;
- maybe they plan to do the same with... curtains ?

Paris is an ideal launching place (what with fashion etc).

Now... Apple iCurtains, what could they be... Embroidered with silver Apple logos ? Pluggable on iTunes ? Wifi ? :p

Next steps: Apple iShoes, Apple iHamburgers (aka Appleburgers), Apple iCars...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.