Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garrod

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
UK
Is there a way to force an application to run in the background or is there an application that will let me do this? Here's my problem:

I'm importing / exporting lots of video clips. Each on has to be touched up before exporting. When they're exporting I like to play (don't laugh!) Deer Hunter Reloaded which I got via the App Store. However, if I want to go back to my video work (or anything else for that matter) on my Mac I have to quit DHR each time - Command + Tab doesn't work whilst the game is running.

I know it's not that important but a solution would be truly appreciated.

Nov 28, 2010
located
That is the nature of most full screen games in Mac OS X, one cannot simply use CMD+TAB (like Alt+Tab in Windows) to get out of the game without quitting it.
I have not found a solution yet to circumvent that, but I also rarely play games (every couple of months for a few days or so).

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
What about cmd+m or cmd+h? Also, I found out that pressing the buy tab temporarily forces the game to go into a window while opening up the MAS.

Garrod

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
UK
What about cmd+m or cmd+h? Also, I found out that pressing the buy tab temporarily forces the game to go into a window while opening up the MAS.

Thank-you for your advice but this doesn't work either. Maybe there's a market for a 'force switch application' application?

Garrod

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
UK
Sorry to double post but I've found a solution (of sorts) to my original problem that might benefit others. The game in question, Deer Hunter Reloaded, uses the Unity game engine. I've found that I can switch between applications just by hitting Command+F. It's messy...but it works!

Braniff747SP

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
Los Angeles, California, USA
Sorry to double post but I've found a solution (of sorts) to my original problem that might benefit others. The game in question, Deer Hunter Reloaded, uses the Unity game engine. I've found that I can switch between applications just by hitting Command+F. It's messy...but it works!

Thanks; I'll try it with some others to see if it works on my end.

Edit: Does not work for me. Rockstar has the game locked down, I guess.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.