Is it possible to force an application to run in the background?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Garrod, Dec 10, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Nov 13, 2008
    Is there a way to force an application to run in the background or is there an application that will let me do this? Here's my problem:

I'm importing / exporting lots of video clips. Each on has to be touched up before exporting. When they're exporting I like to play (don't laugh!) Deer Hunter Reloaded which I got via the App Store. However, if I want to go back to my video work (or anything else for that matter) on my Mac I have to quit DHR each time - Command + Tab doesn't work whilst the game is running.

I know it's not that important but a solution would be truly appreciated.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    That is the nature of most full screen games in Mac OS X, one cannot simply use CMD+TAB (like Alt+Tab in Windows) to get out of the game without quitting it.
    I have not found a solution yet to circumvent that, but I also rarely play games (every couple of months for a few days or so).

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search or MRoogle to find similar threads while you wait for more answers:
  3. macrumors regular

Jul 31, 2011
    Assign "show desktop" to a hot corner. It works in many games.
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 13, 2008
    Alas, this doesn't work with Deer Hunter Reloaded. Thanks for the advice though.
  5. macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2008
    What about cmd+m or cmd+h? Also, I found out that pressing the buy tab temporarily forces the game to go into a window while opening up the MAS.
  6. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 13, 2008
    Thank-you for your advice but this doesn't work either. Maybe there's a market for a 'force switch application' application?
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Nov 13, 2008
    Sorry to double post but I've found a solution (of sorts) to my original problem that might benefit others. The game in question, Deer Hunter Reloaded, uses the Unity game engine. I've found that I can switch between applications just by hitting Command+F. It's messy...but it works!
  8. Braniff747SP, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2012

macrumors 6502

May 30, 2010
    Los Angeles, California, USA

Thanks; I'll try it with some others to see if it works on my end.

Edit: Does not work for me. Rockstar has the game locked down, I guess.