Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eathan74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Canada
Hey guys,

This is my 3rd Macbook (previously had the original white Macbook and then the 13" Macbook Pro).

Freezes on my previous Mac's were very rare, in fact, I find it hard to remember having any.

Since getting my 2012 13" Macbook Air (256GB, 4GB, 1.8ghz i5) I've been having more frequent crashes, maybe one or two a month. It's hard to pinpoint exactly what I'm doing when it happens although yesterday I was watching a video clip on cnn.com and had a wack of video's downloading on "Transmission".

I didn't get a grey screen, my computer literally just froze.

Anyone else having these issues or know of any possible causes?

Thanks,
Darren

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
I'm guessing nobody has replied because nobody has anything helpful to say...this certainly isn't normal, that is for sure.

Have you tried opening up the console logs or watching the processes in the Activity Monitor, both before and after crashes? It sounds like you can reliably reproduce the freezez/crashes, so that might be a first step.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
You say you were watching a video and downloading others using transmission. So does the freeze happen only when you are doing network intensive stuff or even when not using the internet?

Of course watch the activity monitor and your memory usage as you are doing those things and see where the bottleneck is.

joewillmott

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
England
I have a 2012 13" MBA that freezes more and more often. I am at the point now where it's nearly once per day. I don't use anything too intense; Photoshop, Flash, Spotify, Safari & Notes are my main programs. I get a fair amount of "coloured wheel of death"s and quite a lot of "application closed unexpectedly" which is pissing me off. The worst though is when the computer freezes altogether. It only happens once every week or two but it's a ball-ache as there is absolutely nothing I can do but hold the power button down until it turns off.

All started when I upgraded to ML...

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
All started when I upgraded to ML...

Yikes! I'm glad I stuck with Snow Leopard...does it strike anybody else as non-sensical for Apple to keep releasing new OS's (which we know will be buggy for months), while barely fixing all the bugs in the previous OS. I heard Lion was not bug-free, either.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I've been suffering some crashes on my 2012 13" MA, I have narrowed it to Transmission.

Why? Because it only happens when transmission is open and doing what it does.

If I remember correctly, the crashes began one or two Transmission updates ago. The most recent crash was yesterday, I've since deleted all traces of Transmission, will try to install it again tomorrow and test what happens.

quax

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
Same on MBA Mid 2011

same problem here on a MBA 13", i7, Mid 2011 running Lion.

Did a complete re-install, have run HW test ... nothing. Removed some programs that I am no longer using. Worked fine again for a while then again sudden freeze. Good thing is the recovery which has worked well so far.

Have a MBA 2011, 13" CD2 running SL 10.6. Has been running without a major hitch.

I am surprised to see the same problem with the new 2012 units.

So far I am still assuming SW stability/quality problem. Haven't has this much trouble since 10.2 days. Still use it for day2day but have sincerely lost confidence in the former rock-solid foundation.

Cheers,

--- Carsten

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
i use utorrent on a constant basis and have never experienced crashes/freezes on my 2011 11" mba so fyi in case you guys are looking for an alternative to transmission.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
Just as an update... I deleted all traces of Transmission and installed uTorrent, since Sunday my Mac has not suffered any crashes, slowdowns or any other type of malfunction.

I think I can say now that the crashes that I was suffering were triggered by Transmission and some nasty bug. Also, just as a fyi, I download torrents to a 32 GB SD Card.

joewillmott

macrumors regular
May 22, 2012
England
What is Transmission? If that's the problem I don't want it. I have noticed that the freezing on mine started early November; when the "12C3006" update happened. Coincidence?

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Some people are just...... it amazes me!

In fairness, when people are having a problem (and are at their wit's end) and are posting in a particular forum, they are looking for specific information about specific user experiences.

If you want to be helpful, it would have taken just as long to have written:
"Transmission is a bittorrent client...find out more at Google..."

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
In fairness, when people are having a problem (and are at their wit's end) and are posting in a particular forum, they are looking for specific information about specific user experiences.

If you want to be helpful, it would have taken just as long to have written:
"Transmission is a bittorrent client...find out more at Google..."

And I gave a link so I did answer his question.

Some people are just LAZY, sorry but it is so simple to do a Google search first before asking!!!!

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
So Transmission freezes your computer and Skype bakes your computer till its too hot to touch.

We need to have a sticky on "Software you should NOT use on a Mac".

It might just shame the developers into writing better code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.