Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Im wondering if you can help me. Basically, I ordered my first Mac, a BTO iBook last Friday morning. It got processed and built reasonably quickly and got shipped on Monday (19th).

Now my concern isnt that it isnt here yet, but the tracking on TNT. I'll show you what I have so far:

20 Sep 2005 20:11 Suzhou Shipped From Originating Depot
19 Sep 2005 19:18 Suzhou Consignment Received At Transit Point

It hasnt changed in days. As far as this is concerned, its still in China! Is there a chance that TNT just havent updated the tracking, and it is in Europe? Or do you think there has been some kind of hold up? Ive never bought from the online store before, but I thought there would be a lot more activity on the tracking log than this.

Its just that im moving out to go to Uni next Wednesday and it HAS to be here for then... otherwise im screwed.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
the mystery continues....

Ive just received some kind of sales receipt in the post from Apple. However, just above the receipt part, it says:

Incoterm: DDP delivered cleared by customs UK

Does this mean that its already in the UK? Or that it has received prior clearance to ship here? Its driving me mad!

Also on the receipt, on the product description it says iWork software preinstalled. Do you think this is just the 30 day trial?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Delivery from the online store is a bit strange, especially if coming from the far East. My only advice is to wait it out. I've tried calling them before and they have no more info that you have now :(

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Tracking on the TNT site can be a bit strange, my mum's eMac was reporting in Amsterdam for 3 days when it was actually being shipped from the local depot. The site didn't update till about 4 hours before it arrived.

They can be a bit flaky about updating.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
TNT have a bottle-neck at Northampton and Stansted. Everthing I've ordered has got from the factory in China to Europe in a couple of days and then sits with TNT for a week going nowhere. Quickest delivery so for is ten days from leaving the factory.

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
At one stage I thought my iBook was heading back! I phoned TNT, was told that they had it there, was due for delivery on wednesday, but it came on tuesday. You have to check first thing in the morning and it will say "out for delivery" You can find the address and phone number of your local depot from their website and just call them, they are friendly enough.

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
I checked the dates for my delivery, email to say it had dispatched on Wed 31st August, delivered to my home tues 6th sept. The previous time was Monday dispatch email, delivery following monday. The routes seemed to be slightly different, first time it had to meet up with some other items from the big applewarehouse in the netherlands. I think the route to and within the uk depends on where you live. So I would guess your computer will turn up on tuesday, possibly monday. Don't worry about the customs, you won't get a demand for duty and it won't be sitting impounded in warehouse somewhere.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
^ Im from quite close to you, in Manchester, so I suspect it could be similar to yours.

From the expected shipping times they state as well as what people have said on the board, I expect it to arrive on the Monday...

That would be fine, but that isnt my issue tho - its that the TNT tracking thing hasnt been updated in 4 days now... I dont even know if its reached Europe or has left Taiwan... thats whats got me worried.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Don't worry, it will turn up, but it's anyone's guess as to when. Sort of keeps you itching for the postman! I wouldn't bother much with the TNT tracking thing - it never seems to be updated or correct. Just make sure you have someone in to receive the package!

Oh, and the Apple invoice usually comes separately so don't wory about that. :)

sreedy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2005
Somerset
Project said:
That would be fine, but that isnt my issue tho - its that the TNT tracking thing hasnt been updated in 4 days now... I dont even know if its reached Europe or has left Taiwan... thats whats got me worried.

This is what happened to me when buying my iBook and the iPod Mini I brought for my Missus..... the TNT thing didn't update until after they arrived! I called then in the end when I was getting concerned and they were actually pretty helpful in tracking it down and then getting the local depot to call me back with more info on when it would be sent out from them on the van!

So..... if you are concerned call them (but it'll be fine I'm sure) :)

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
I just called TNT... they said their records show it as being delivered on the 26th, which is Monday :D

Definitely an issue with the online tracking system not being updated then.

MAAAAAN I cant wait a whole weekend! This is going to drive me nuts haha

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Project said:
...it says iWork software preinstalled. Do you think this is just the 30 day trial?
You're right, it's a 30-day trial. Thanks for reminding me of this - I got an iMac with the iWork trial on about 5 months ago and forgot it was on there.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
^ How do you find iWork? And in particular, pages? First thing I have to do uni wise this year is create a CV, and I cant stand Words layout tools.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Project said:
^ How do you find iWork? And in particular, pages? First thing I have to do uni wise this year is create a CV, and I cant stand Words layout tools.
Not used it yet - I really had forgot it was on there. I like Word myself - once I've turned all of the autoformat options off - but it depends what you want to do. I heard that Pages leans more towards DTP than pure word processing, so it might suit you better if that's what you want to produce. The opinion seems to be that it's a good product, but people are hanging back on buying iWorks until it includes a spreadsheet app.
You have the trial version en route though - you should be able to get a feel for it in the 30 days. Think I'll be doing the same.

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Update...

24 Sep 2005 19:21 Northampton Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
23 Sep 2005 18:06 Arnhem Hub Consignment Received At Transit Point
20 Sep 2005 20:11 Suzhou Shipped From Originating Depot
19 Sep 2005 19:18 Suzhou Consignment Received At Transit Point

Do you think the iBook will reach here on Monday? I have an awful feeling they will do f*ck all on a Sunday and i'll get it Tuesday.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
Sounds like you'll receive it Tuesday.

Things tend to stand still on Sundays, so on monday it'll probably go from the Northampton Hub to your local one, and then on Tuesday morning, it'll probably say "Out for delivery" and you should receive it sometime Tuesday.

Just my estimate!

Project

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 6, 2005
Hmm, not the answer I wanted to hear! The woman told me the 26th the other day - surely they would account for Sundays when giving out estimated delivery times? Oh well, I can only hope...

Has anybody here tried to fit more RAM into the empty slot on an iBook? Im scared i'll mess my system up.

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Project said:
...Do you think the iBook will reach here on Monday? I have an awful feeling they will do f*ck all on a Sunday and i'll get it Tuesday.

Nothing I've ordered from Apple spent less than 4days in a UK hub
:(

rose red

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2005
nw england
It will be moving over the weekend, its probably in Manchester now. Check first thing on monday to see if it is out for delivery, if not they may let you collect from them in Manchester.

maddav

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2004
Manchester, UK
mpw said:
Nothing I've ordered from Apple spent less than 4days in a UK hub
:(

That's a tad pessimistic, my iBook, my Nano and a couple of other things have usually arrived at the Northampton Hun, next evening at the East Midlands then thr following morning out for delivery.

Maybe it depends on your local hub?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.