PDA

View Full Version : Hooking My two Powermacs together

doucy2
Sep 24, 2005, 07:51 AM
is there any way i can like up my two powermac g4s (one is 1ghz other is 500mhz) and used them as one mac to run apps
any help would be appreciated

these 2 powermacs are also for sale

cheers

katie ta achoo
Sep 24, 2005, 12:57 PM
is there any way i can like up my two powermac g4s (one is 1ghz other is 500mhz) and used them as one mac to run apps

these 2 powermacs are also for sale

cheers

Are you trying to rig it up so that instead of two separate computers, you're trying to combine processor speeds, so it's a 1.5GHz PM?

I don't think it works like that... if it did, I'd hook together my iBook and PowerBook and be sitting pretty with a 2.4GHz laptop.

you COULD network them together, to share drive space or something..

Sun Baked
Sep 24, 2005, 01:00 PM
Yes, Xgrid and distributed computing ... but you need to write your own applications.

Don't know how many are currently on the market, since the boost is a narrow niche.

http://developer.apple.com/hardware/hpc/xgrid_intro.html

combatcolin
Sep 24, 2005, 01:57 PM
pester a certain university.

There quite good at this sort of thing.

ammon
Sep 25, 2005, 08:33 AM
If you are using compressor to encode video, just hook up your firewire cable between them and set them up to be render nodes.

Works like a charm!

MacTruck
Sep 26, 2005, 05:46 PM
I have drempt of this many times. Like hooking up 10 mac minis and stacking those suckers on top of each other like a tower. This would be soooooo cool.

Mac_Freak
Sep 26, 2005, 07:32 PM
I have drempt of this many times. Like hooking up 10 mac minis and stacking those suckers on top of each other like a tower. This would be soooooo cool.

and so expensive. For $5,000 you could buy two Dual 2.3 G5 or one maxed out Dual 2.7 with 10k or even 15k drive for virtual and scratch memory

katie ta achoo
Sep 26, 2005, 07:56 PM
and so expensive. For $5,000 you could buy two Dual 2.3 G5 or one maxed out Dual 2.7 with 10k or even 15k drive for virtual and scratch memory

..yeah, but it would look cool!! :p

Mac_Freak
Sep 26, 2005, 08:46 PM
..yeah, but it would look cool!! :p

ooups, I guess I forgot about the geek factor. ;) :D

katie ta achoo
Sep 26, 2005, 08:54 PM
ooups, I guess I forgot about the geek factor. ;) :D

You also wouldn't need a space heater for a 4 mile radius around that thing.

I swear, my room is always 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.. it's the POWERBOOK!

I told Aaron that today, and he just laughed at me. Punk.

When I'm not spending money on space heaters...

..he also won't be because he has a 1 GHz PB.. hmm. I didn't think this one through. :o

KittenKrusher
Sep 26, 2005, 10:22 PM
I also got the warmest room in my house due to all the machines. Good in the winter, bad now.

doucy2
Dec 6, 2005, 03:43 PM
is there any way i can hook all of my powermac G4's together and use them as one computer

cheers

iPhil
Dec 6, 2005, 03:50 PM
is there any way i can hook all of my powermac G4's together and use them as one computer

cheers

Theres a way via software made by apple but i can't find it :mad: :mad:

Edit#1: the software is called Xgrid
Edit #2:http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/xgrid/

Then you use ethernet or FW to connect them together

aquajet
Dec 6, 2005, 03:53 PM
Contact VA Tech...they seem to be the experts. :D

http://www.tcf.vt.edu/

eva01
Dec 6, 2005, 03:56 PM
Xgrid lets you do that, but the software you use has to be Xgrid capable and there are just a handful of programs that will let you do that. Like huge science and medical programs.

yellow
Dec 6, 2005, 03:57 PM
If you're fairly saavy, you can write your own XGrid plug-ins...

doucy2
Dec 6, 2005, 07:31 PM
If you're fairly saavy, you can write your own XGrid plug-ins...
i'm not that savy lol

im sure i'll figure something out

yellow
Dec 7, 2005, 09:18 AM
im sure i'll figure something out

What is it you're trying to do? Real parallel processing? I think that died with the Stardents/Ardents..