PDA

View Full Version : Keep Powerbook On All The Time?

supafly1703
Sep 24, 2005, 02:11 PM
Just ordered a new Powerbook, wondering if I can leave it on all the time like the iMac G4 I have. Or is this kind of behavior not good for laptops?

SummerBreeze
Sep 24, 2005, 02:15 PM
Go ahead and leave it on, shouldn't be a problem at all. I barely ever turn mine off, although I do tend to use the sleep function quite often. Just make sure you follow Apple's battery guidelines (http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html) and you should be fine.

opusthe2nd
Sep 24, 2005, 05:19 PM
Mines always on....unless I shut it off. *;o)

risc
Sep 24, 2005, 05:35 PM
Just ordered a new Powerbook, wondering if I can leave it on all the time like the iMac G4 I have. Or is this kind of behavior not good for laptops?

My PowerBook only gets rebooted for updates and OS upgrades. If I need to power it down I close the lid, it goes to sleep. It is all GOOD!

p0intblank
Sep 24, 2005, 05:54 PM
My PowerBook G4 is always on, so no worries. :) My desk is very warm, though... LOL

ham_man
Sep 24, 2005, 06:02 PM
Just make sure to calibrate it every month...:)

iDM
Sep 24, 2005, 07:33 PM
I am not exaggerating when i say my PowerBook has only been turned off for at most a couple days, once or twice a year. Bottom line I bought it 2 years ago and the thing is still kicking fine no signs of degradation from such steady use. However it's a fact of life that the monitor will die sooner, unless you put it to sleep at night, its funny but i guess you could argue you wouldn't survive if you were left on or awake for 5 years straight.

ajampam
Sep 24, 2005, 11:31 PM
Man, these things can go on forever....I have not really seen any signs of sluggishness either....but I do like to shut it down if I am lugging it around....just my thing I guess :o ....use it as you want, they adapt to you :D

bursty
Sep 24, 2005, 11:35 PM
I know most of you leave it on all the time but I think its good to restart every few days. That at least empties the swap file, right? Should make things run a little quicker.

cbiffle
Sep 25, 2005, 12:16 AM
I know most of you leave it on all the time but I think its good to restart every few days. That at least empties the swap file, right? Should make things run a little quicker.

Yes, it does erase and rebuild the swap file.

However, the swap file is "emptied" as programs let go of the memory pages that have been swapped out. I'm not sure under precisely which circumstances the kernel will physically shrink the swap file, but I have seen it shrink while the machine was on.

Really, though, the size of the swap file won't impact the speed of the machine. It only eats disk. Not having enough disk for your required swap, on the other hand, will tank your performance.

Marlon_JBT
Sep 25, 2005, 01:18 AM
mjbts-powerbook-g4-12:~ Marlon_JBT$ uptime
2:14 up 15 days, 4:39, 2 users, load averages: 2.01 1.79 1.44

:D

I rarely ever turn mine off... or restart it. No reason to. :) Just put it to sleep.