Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The IMDb app is one of the most popular apps on iOS, with the Internet Movie Database yesterday noting in a press release that its iOS app has been downloaded 25 million times. Along with the milestone comes a redesigned Version 3.0 of the IMDb iPad app, with the goal being to focus on discovery features and allow users to see more content. The iPhone version has also received a few more features and enhancements.

mzl.kvqubhgg.480x480-75.jpg
What's New in Version 3.0

One of Macworld's 20 Best Apps for 2012!

The IMDb iPad app has been completely updated with a new look & feel that showcases more movies, TV shows & celebs than ever before.

New iPad features include:
- Tap the plus sign (+) on any movie or TV show poster to add it to your Watchlist
- Sign in to get personalized movie and TV recommendations
- New full-page Watchlist and custom lists with updated sort and edit features
- Top 250 rank added to movie pages
- Tap the history or Watchlist icons to open previews from any page in the app
- Browse featured photo galleries & lists, most popular by genre, and charts
- Tap the IMDb logo to browse from any page in the app

Also new for both the iPad and iPhone:
- iOS 6 users can take advantage of native Facebook sharing
- Filmographies now include TV episode details
- Navigate to the entire image gallery from any photo or poster
The universal IMDb app is a free update on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: IMDb Updates iPad App with Complete Redesign

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Can't access my watchlist on the ipad version. Also what happened to that trailer queue feature on the ipad version?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Welcome to MacRumors, where we seldom provide Mac news and rumors, and instead flood the front page with iOS app updates!

Just teasing :p App looks good. Might want to fix the "&"s in the quote though.

EDIT - Looks like that only shows up in the forum post and not the article link. Interesting.

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
I'm hearing lots of things about network connectivity problems. I think I'll hold off for a while: this is probably my favourite app on the iPad.

angrynstupid

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2010
Michigan
Knock it off

If redesigns don't make things work better, stop redesigning crap. This simply forces users to learn a new interface. Knock it off!

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
Ugh! Looks Awful.
I have completely stopped updating a lot of apps because of this new design model that seems to have no grasp of style,ipad capacity or bandwith usage.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Can't access my watchlist on the ipad version. Also what happened to that trailer queue feature on the ipad version?

Tap the icon at the far right of the navigation bar. (Looks like a bookmark with a check mark in it with a number to the right.)

I think the redesign is spectacular and very intuitive. The old version's "Browse" button on the bottom navigation bar was a kludge. Forced you to search both the top and bottom nav bars to figure out how to get to your watchlist, etc. And all the Browse button did was pop up a long menu, creating a "drill down" effect. Eliminating unnecessary complexity like that is always a good thing.

And it looks vastly better. Subtle use of shading, pixel-perfect custom graphics, great typography for very good readability. I use it several times a day, and for me it's a huge improvement. (The search bar is the most important feature, for me anyway, and it's still right there at the top of the home view.)

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Ugh! Looks Awful.
I have completely stopped updating a lot of apps because of this new design model that seems to have no grasp of style,ipad capacity or bandwith usage.

The old design looked awful. This is a step in the right direction!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.