Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
Anyone have any opinion on On2's VP7 as compare to H.264. The only information I seemed to be able to get was on On2's website, which I'm going to believe as much as the stuff on Apple's website.

On2 states that VP7 is better quality than H.264. I think general consensus is that H.264 maintains a constant quality although may smooth a little too much, while VP7 can have more details but also more blocking and quality breakdowns. Although, IMO both seem to be quite untested.

Seems that On2 more or less bashes H.264 because it's a standard and not proprietary. Which IMO is a another whole can of worms.

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
These benchmarks position VP7 as outperforming competitive codecs -- such as Windows Media 9, Real 10 and most implementations of H.264 -- by up to 30-50%.
It's probably comparable, from what I've read (Google is your friend). Better at some things, but not with others. And I think you have it backwards. H.264 is an open standard. I'm not sure if Apple's version is proprietary or not, but 264 itself is not.

It's still fairly new, so you might need to wait awhile before independant reviews.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
solvs said:
It's probably comparable, from what I've read (Google is your friend). Better at some things, but not with others. And I think you have it backwards. H.264 is an open standard. I'm not sure if Apple's version is proprietary or not, but 264 itself is not.

It's still fairly new, so you might need to wait awhile before independant reviews.

What I meant was On2 is bashing H.264 because it is a standard. On2 is touting propietary as better. Which, actual comparison of the codecs aside, might actually have a better development model. Standards such as MPEG and most notably IMO OpenGL, seem to craw in development and releases. That said, the standards have a lot of technology from a lot of key players involved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.