PDA

View Full Version : Why you love Mac more than Windows?

pnz999
Dec 2, 2002, 09:11 PM
Why you love Mac more than Windows? What is so special about owning a Mac?

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Dec 2, 2002, 09:21 PM
Ease of use.
Better GUI
More Stable.
Final Cut Pro

howard
Dec 2, 2002, 09:21 PM
1. design
2. os x
3. music/audio programs

BenderBot1138
Dec 2, 2002, 09:26 PM
Two Reasons...

(1) Myths aren't Reality... (http://www.apple.com/myths/); and

(2) Talk to the Ellen (http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/ellenfeiss.html) cause the Gates aint listenin!

Maybe we can change you from a whys man into a Wise person.

:cool:

pnz999
Dec 2, 2002, 09:28 PM
to be honest, i find Mac to be more pricey (maybe even overprice) compared to PC.

----why cant Mac vendor sales Macs for much less? does Apple really regulate prices?

pnz999
Dec 2, 2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by BenderBot1138
Two Reasons...

(1) Myths aren't Reality... (http://www.apple.com/myths/); and

(2) Talk to the Ellen (http://www.apple.com/switch/ads/ellenfeiss.html) cause the Gates aint listenin!

Maybe we can change you from a whys man into a Wise person.

:cool:

I'm open to any OS and computer system thats why I bought my first Apple [dual 867] two weeks ago.

for some reason, Apple is still prone to crushing... in two weeks, it crush twice! [it crush when running combustion 2, a video editing software]

vniow
Dec 2, 2002, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by pnz999
Why you love Mac more than Windows?

I think what you mean is Why do you love the Mac OS over Windows, comparing a computer to an operating system wouldn't be fair, would it?http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/veronica/winky.gif

Anywayz, nobody (I know at least) really enjoys using Windows itself, they like what you can do on Windows, but they see the actual OS as just a tool to get what they want to get done.

OSX is an operating system that I actually enjoy using, not just doing stuff on it. Windows just sorta stays in the background, while OSX is intertwined with everything else.
I own both a PC and a Mac and if my iBook was a little faster and I could hook it up to my 17" monitor, I'd use it much more often. The only reason that I don't now is things are kinda clunky on it and the small screen.

fatalerror101
Dec 2, 2002, 10:18 PM
Hey pnz999, i thought that we were suppost to sound off on which os we favored best the mac os or winblows? I didn't understand how you meant to word the question er yeah
Anyways I love apple for the following reasons:
1.OSX- Free BSD,ect.
2.I-apps
3.aqn alturnitive to windows
4. and the shape and feel of theier products

medea
Dec 2, 2002, 10:20 PM
I agree with ednviow with the fact that I actually enjoy using my mac and os x and I can honestly say that I felt no joy using win xp (nor any previous versions.)
My XP machine quit on me daily, and since I've had this mac (purchased I think in April or May....maybe) the OS has not even once crashed on me or given me any errors, the only problems I've had were with individual programs such as IE and Chimera. Another I love about using os x is the iApps, iMovie makes my life so much easier and I enjoy using all the other tools such as iPhoto and iTunes etc. So the two things I guess are the macintosh operating system and the iApps.

FattyMembrane
Dec 2, 2002, 10:27 PM
for some reason, Apple is still prone to crushing... in two weeks, it crush twice! [it crush when running combustion 2, a video editing software]
the problem is with combustion, not the mac os. if it crashed the entire system, there's a problem, but when combustion crashed, you probably just had to open it up again (although losing your work really sucks).

why i like the mac os...
1. stability
2. excellent visual feedback
3. the most extensible system framework of any os
4. some of the best shareware/freeware around
5. a clear interface that is condusive to greater productivity
6. many more reasons, if only i had the time

the hardware used to be great as well, although apple's been falling behind in that department. value is also another biggie. i can still do an incredible amount of stuff on my 60mhz performa (3d rendering with raydream, audio editing, games, internet) and i've never had a single problem with it that i did not cause (i had a knack for hacking the system resources when i was not supposed to). the mac users i know have never thrown away a mac because regardless of how old it is, you can always do something with it (usually much more than a pc equivalent).

DreaminDirector
Dec 2, 2002, 10:42 PM
I see it like this: Macs are abit more expensive, but you get what you pay for. It's like complaining that your BMW cost too much when the alternative was Geo Sidekick or a (insert crap car here). Sure it's cheap, but you'll never when it's going to leave you stranded out on the freeway. It's about a sensibility to beauty too. There is something about OSX that always seems to make me quietly say "wow". Windows XP looks and feels like Windows 98 and there's a chilly corporate feel to XP. OSX on the other hand, comforts me. It's fun with it's colors and shadows. I love to surprise my PC buddies with the OSX dock and the genie effect. It's little things like that make my experience with OSX a personal one. So, I'll gladly fork over some extra cash for a Mac. Hands down, no questions, it is worth it. Anyday.

benixau
Dec 2, 2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
the mac users i know have never thrown away a mac because regardless of how old it is, you can always do something with it (usually much more than a pc equivalent).

hi how are you, now you know me you know some one who has.

my dad threw his ot about two months ago. it was an LC630 and its PSU had gone after 7-8yrs of daily operation. it ran at 66MHz qith 16MB of RAm which had RAM Doubler on top.

i was impressed and if i can keep my new DP867 and he can keep his new DP1Ghz for as long we will ne impressed yet again.

pnz999:

buy a pc and you get a machine for the next few years. buy a mac and it will last a lot lot longer. if only cause it doesnt break down.

if you want to be a stingy bastard then go and buy a dell. they are the closest thing you wil get to a mac in the win world. just make sure the specs match the game you want to play.

oh you dont want to play games!! then why are you buying a pc??

dynamicd
Dec 3, 2002, 12:48 AM
I find it funny how I'm a freshman in college and all of the guys on my dorm floor always stop in and say how much they love the look of my 17" imac. I then go into conversation about why they won't get a mac and they really have no answer as to why. They also ask me about how stable it is and i say the only app that ever crashes on me is microsoft internet explorer. A friend of mine back home has always had a mac and he always says something like, "i find it funny how all my friends put down apple and then ask me to fix their pc's." Me being one of those friends since this is my first mac. PC users don't switch b/c they are just afraid to try something new.

springscansing
Dec 3, 2002, 01:23 AM

I'm open to any OS and computer system thats why I bought my first Apple [dual 867] two weeks ago.

.. what?

springscansing
Dec 3, 2002, 01:25 AM
I personally like Windows XP Pro better. It costs like 3 times as much, hence, three times the software! :rolleyes:

fuge
Dec 3, 2002, 01:35 AM
i love my mac because it feels great.

Seriously, it may seem foolish to attribute it to feelings but all the other reasons just contribute to my feelings of joy when i use my mac. Stability, usability, and aesthetics are great attributes but they only really contribute to the experience. Windows tries to emulate the mac experience but really can't.

Since I've "switched" to the Mac I've realized that when I want to use a computer I want to use a Mac. The only time I find myself using my PC anymore is to play games or to sometimes surf because if you're going to use IE it's better and faster in the Windows world (Please don't tell me about the greatness of chimera, mozilla, omniweb, etc. I've downloaded them all and they aren't caught up with Explorer, imho, although I like Mozilla more and more)

Nothing beats the mac experience.

Nipsy
Dec 3, 2002, 04:37 AM
My Mac says:
Volume "Storage" has a problem. You should repair it with Disk Utility

My Wintel box says:
Volumes /ndr0/ndr8/ experienced the following error:120xEE

I put a CD into a Mac to install the OS.

I put four floppies, then a CD into a Wintel box, and after 45 minutes am told that I have no hard drives available, so I repeat (several times)

My Mac boots happily full of cards and memory and devices

My Wintel box requires IRQs, cacheable bios, UDMA support and countless other enablers

My Mac has crashed 13 times since os 10 was introduced (and takes some serious abuse before it does)

I tried XP this weekend, and it BSODes after 38 minutes (unexpected_kernel_mode_trap)

The Apple support forums and TIL are usable

The M$ and Intel support info is not

I have had Macs since 1984, and once I found a file with a virus in it, but it did no damage (without A.V.)

I have had PCs since 1998, and have had 3 data losses caused by virii (with A.V.)

If you type 'google' in a Mac browser, you go to http://www.google.com

If you type 'google' in the common Wintel browser, you wind up at MSN

I can delete any program from my Mac

I cannot delete many programs from my Wintel box (I spent half an hour today watching wmplayer.exe magically reappear everytime i deleted it)

UNIX makes sense to a programmer

NT does not make sense to a programmer

Aqua, while a bit too gooey, is pretty

Luna is either Fischer Price, or plain jane

My Mac happily runs 30 apps, and 50 services for months at a time

Three instances of SmartPar can bring XP to its knees

I control my Mac

Redmond, the RIAA, and Fritz Hollings control my PC

ooartist
Dec 3, 2002, 06:37 AM
1. OS X == UNIX

2. Cocoa (Objective C)

3. ProjectBuilder

This developer likey. With MS you have to buy
their IDE, no likey.

ooartist

Mr. Anderson
Dec 3, 2002, 06:57 AM
Everyone has stated quite a lot of good reasons, and I'm sure there are people on another forum telling everybody why they love pcs instead of macs. But who cares? ;)

Aside from a lot of what's already been said, I just like being different. :D

D

daPhil
Dec 3, 2002, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Nipsy
[B]My Mac says:

I put four floppies, then a CD into a Wintel box, and after 45 minutes am told that I have no hard drives available, so I repeat (several times)I just have to say that PCs boot fine from the CD if the machine isnt from the stoneage.

My Wintel box requires IRQs, cacheable bios, UDMA support and countless other enablersIRQs are also a thing of the past you dont need the if you are running W2K or later. You dont have to cache the BIOS, its an option on/off. Enablers?

I have had Macs since 1984, and once I found a file with a virus in it, but it did no damage (without A.V.)

I have had PCs since 1998, and have had 3 data losses caused by virii (with A.V.)There are more PC viruses because there are 50 times as many users, hence noone cares about making viruses for Mac. Wich is a very good thing of course.

I cannot delete many programs from my Wintel box (I spent half an hour today watching wmplayer.exe magically reappear everytime i deleted it)Ever heard of "uninstall"? Anyway you are not supposed to delete the WMedia player. Its like deleting Quicktime from the Mac. Not good.

NT does not make sense to a programmerYou make no sense to me. Im a programmer working under W2K (NT v5) and i know about 30 more programmers working under Windows writing all kinds of languages. Actually i think most programmers work under Wintel.

Three instances of SmartPar can bring XP to its kneesOur Wintel webserver hasnt crashed once in the year we have had it. It has about 20 sites, 5 MySQL databases and a 24/7 Counterstrike server on it with 10000+ players and its still fast with dual 933 p3 processors.

macmax
Dec 3, 2002, 11:36 AM
Have you seen a mac guy and a winblows user argueing?

The mac guy loves his machine and os
on the other hand the windows user says he needs it and can't leave it becauseTHERE IS NO OPTION or so he says.

WE love our macs , they are involved in a very bad relationship with their windows's machines.

I have a friend that loves his wintel thing, he is a MASOQUIST thou,hehhehhehehhehe.;)

macmax
Dec 3, 2002, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by macmax
Have you seen a mac guy and a winblows user argueing?

The mac guy loves his machine and os
on the other hand the windows user says he needs it and can't leave it becauseTHERE IS NO OPTION or so he says.

WE love our macs , they are involved in a very bad relationship with their windows's machines.

I have a friend that loves his wintel thing, he is a MASOQUIST thou,hehhehhehehhehe.;)

Remember english is my second language, correct me when i write words that shouldn't be written that way, thanks .
I have to learn more, hehehhe

ibookin'
Dec 3, 2002, 11:39 AM
1. UNIX Core of Mac OS X
2. Quality of Laptops
3. Both the computers and OS look good
4. Intuitive to use hardware

I am a switcher, by the way.

Macmaniac
Dec 3, 2002, 12:07 PM
1. OS X
2. iMovie
3. iTunes
4. iPhoto
5 Photo to Movie
6. iDvd
7. FCP 3
8. Not having a crash in 6 months PRICELESS!

DreaminDirector
Dec 3, 2002, 12:15 PM
Forgot to add this in my last post but

Three little words:

Final Cut Pro

Nothing comes close!

FattyMembrane
Dec 3, 2002, 12:21 PM
in the year and a half that i've used osx, i've had exactly one kernel panic and one crash that could not be solved with a forcequit. the kernel panic was due to a poorly written screensaver that gave my ati card a heart attack (under 10.0, but still not apple's fault) but i was still able to just type reboot and start up fine. the only hard lock i've had was trying the finder ftp feature in 10.2, but i've heard that this has been fixed in the recent updates. a few weeks ago, i rebooted into 9 for some reason, and my roomate said "wow, you're restarting your computer?". i explained it to him. the poor guy has to deal with bsods and the magical ability of windows to hang at the shutdown screen all the time.

redAPPLE
Dec 3, 2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Nipsy
My Mac says:
Volume "Storage" has a problem. You should repair it with Disk Utility

My Wintel box says:
Volumes /ndr0/ndr8/ experienced the following error:120xEE

I put four floppies, then a CD into a Wintel box, and after 45 minutes am told that I have no hard drives available, so I repeat (several times)

My Wintel box requires IRQs, cacheable bios, UDMA support and countless other enablers

My Mac has crashed 13 times since os 10 was introduced (and takes some serious abuse before it does)

I tried XP this weekend, and it BSODes after 38 minutes (unexpected_kernel_mode_trap)

The Apple support forums and TIL are usable

The M$ and Intel support info is not

I have had PCs since 1998, and have had 3 data losses caused by virii (with A.V.)

If you type 'google' in a Mac browser, you go to http://www.google.com

If you type 'google' in the common Wintel browser, you wind up at MSN

I cannot delete many programs from my Wintel box (I spent half an hour today watching wmplayer.exe magically reappear everytime i deleted it)

NT does not make sense to a programmer

Aqua, while a bit too gooey, is pretty

Luna is either Fischer Price, or plain jane

Three instances of SmartPar can bring XP to its knees

I control my Mac

Redmond, the RIAA, and Fritz Hollings control my PC

well said. bravo. :p

ibookin'
Dec 3, 2002, 01:16 PM
Forgot to add this but...

iPod integration with iTunes and iSync.

Nipsy
Dec 3, 2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by daPhil
I just have to say that PCs boot fine from the CD if the machine isnt from the stoneage.

Some OSes will boot from a CD, some won't. Mac OS has booted from a CD into an OS implementation (with or wothout an installer) since Sytem 7 (1991ish).

Newer Windows will, Linux will, NT won't, 2000 depends on the PCs mood.

IRQs are also a thing of the past you dont need the if you are running W2K or later. You dont have to cache the BIOS, its an option on/off. Enablers?

Then why have I experienced an irq_not_less_or_equal BSOD under Win2k many times?

My point is that I shouldn't have to wade through bios to swap a card. My blonde sister shouldn't have to be a hardware engineer to swap to a bigger HD. You know how often most Mac users see OpenFirmware?

Never.

There are more PC viruses because there are 50 times as many users, hence noone cares about making viruses for Mac. Wich is a very good thing of course.

There are also more virii for pcs because a 10 year old script kiddie can poke holes in the OS. I don't 'hack', and I can still find back doors into out of the box Windows installs.

Why does a browser run as an admin?

Why can an e-mail attachment self execute?

Windows is inherently insecure.

Ever heard of "uninstall"? Anyway you are not supposed to delete the WMedia player. Its like deleting Quicktime from the Mac. Not good.

Uninstall often fails. I still have my AudioGalaxy client in my uninstall list, because the uninstall deleted the log, but not the instance. Not very elegant.

Furthermore, I can delete Quicktime Player to my hearts content. I can DELETE IE to my hearts content, etc.

How do I get Windows Messenger OFF of my XP machine?

You make no sense to me. Im a programmer working under W2K (NT v5) and i know about 30 more programmers working under Windows writing all kinds of languages. Actually i think most programmers work under Wintel.

Most Windows programs are indeed written under Wintel, but COM sucks, VB sucks, ASP can suck, .NET has yet to give me a compelling reason to look at it, etc. It does seem pretty easy to write a working virus though...

I'm talking primarily about server side programming. I know many people who prefer the scriptability, scalability, and portability of UNIX source.

Programmers working in Wintel are doing it because they're told to, or because they are programming for Wintel. I don't know anyone who does so by choice...

Our Wintel webserver hasnt crashed once in the year we have had it. It has about 20 sites, 5 MySQL databases and a 24/7 Counterstrike server on it with 10000+ players and its still fast with dual 933 p3 processors.

So, it can't be IIS. It must be apache (a port of a UNIX program). And you're using MySQL, another port of a unix program.

You're welcome.

Why don't you set up an IIS box running SQLServer, and tell me how long it lasts before a huge memory leak takes it down?

Ifeelbloated
Dec 3, 2002, 05:11 PM
Because of funny stuff like this...

pnz999
Dec 3, 2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ooartist
1. OS X == UNIX

2. Cocoa (Objective C)

3. ProjectBuilder

This developer likey. With MS you have to buy
their IDE, no likey.

ooartist

What is ProjectBuilder?

Are there a Java Programming software for the Mac too? like Jbuilder and Jcreator for the PC.

macphisto
Dec 3, 2002, 08:46 PM
Innovation. Innovation. Innovation.

Well, maybe more than one. What other company has changed the way the world thinks and visualizes? Besides the computer and graphic element of life, who made the world multicolored? (A few years back, think of how everything in stores coming in a variety of colors.) Who pushed the consumer end of DVD and video editing (with ease) quicker (DVD burners are becoming standard in many computers now.) Apple has changed the ways we live, and the way we do things.

And to reiterate....Innovation. Innovation. Innovation....And a world of firsts.

*steps down from the soapbox*

Les Kern
Dec 3, 2002, 09:24 PM
I'm 47 years old and have been using computers for an enornous amount of time. I said 47, so I don't have time to dick around with PC's. I have 50 laser printers, for example. Just try finding ONE of them with XP and making it work PROPERLY. Apps are cleaner, Servers mounts are easier, saving is more intuitive, things are easy to find. I NEVER crash on either my 867 w/1.5GBram or iBook or TiBook (except for an occasional MS Explorer cramp-up), and I have about every major app running. My HP Omni book, out of the box AND after many re-installs quits working properly after 10 minutes with various indecipherable errors. My PC desktop was given away to some idiot with a death wish. My 23 servers (mostly OSX) have had a TOTAL of 1 day downtime this year, and THAT was because of MY error. My productivity is EASILY 70% higher on a Mac.
I consider myself a true power-user, and have seen it all. Windows ain't it. Some of you might say to yourselves "He just doesn't know what he's doing with a PC". Fair enough. You're right. But after 20 years and countless hours spent trying to decipher PC errors, I'll be glad to admit I'm stupid... for not switching sooner. Meanwhile, I'm off to get some work done while you PC-users worry about the next virus outbreak.

job
Dec 3, 2002, 10:30 PM
One kernal panic since I first installed X (10.0.0) on my iMac.

3 BSOD since my family purchased a Wintel tower (for work).

'Nuff said.

FattyMembrane
Dec 3, 2002, 10:57 PM
What is ProjectBuilder?

Are there a Java Programming software for the Mac too? like Jbuilder and Jcreator for the PC.
project builder is the main program that you use to compile software on a mac (some people still use codewarrior for legacy stuff). it's part of the developer tools which come for free with every copy of osx (or can be downloaded for free from apple's dev site). project builder allows you to build carbon (c++) and cocoa (c/obj-c/obj-c++/obj-c and java/java) applications. combined with interface builder and the rest of the developer tools, it's probably the most complete and powerful framework for writing programs available. as far as java goes, there essentially two ways you can use java in osx: 1. osx can run pure platform independent java apps seamlessly 2. java can be used to access cocoa frameworks, allowing you to build an app with a java based back end and cocoa elements for the interface (you can also combine java and obj-c to get this effect). and if you really need it, Jbuilder is available for osx as well.

Nipsy
Dec 4, 2002, 05:14 AM
daPhil wrote on 12-04-2002 12:18 AM:
Our webserver is indeed IIS. Easy to manage and poweful. And that stuff about programming under *nix is better is just ************. Visual Studio, C#, .NET... All those things are sweet. And ASP is sweet aswell. Everyone i know including me who programs under Windows does it because they want to. Stop thrashing Wintel because of religion, stick 2 the facts plz.

I've programmed under UNIX, I've programmed under Windows, and I've programmed under Mac (6.0.4 - X).

Here are some facts:
C# is a proprietary rip off of Java. M$ can't admit that Java is a good thing, so they copied, bastardized, and stole it. People will learn it, and then start writing bad Java for clients.

ASP/COM/IIS is the easiest way in the world to create a crippling garbage collection memory leak.

95% of the world uses Windows, but a HUGE share pf the world's code is written under UNIX...why might that be?

Visual Studio is okay, but not 'sweet' by any means.

.NET is so good that people are flocking to it en masse...no wait, that's not .NET.

Intel hardware scales MUCH better under UNIX/Linux than Windows.

So, do you, and everyone you know, get offered a Wintel box, an OSX box, a UNIX box, and a Linux box, or do your bosses sit you down at a Windows box, and hand you a project?

I'm thrashing Wintel because I've written for it, and it does some really stupid things. You should hear my opinions about programming under OS9!

BTW, this is not for PM's