PDA

View Full Version : is chimera all that great?

howard
Dec 2, 2002, 09:46 PM
at first i downloaded it and its served me well...for like 3 days..now it has crashed twice in the last hour! Is it usually like that??

chmorley
Dec 2, 2002, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by howard
at first i downloaded it and its served me well...for like 3 days..now it has crashed twice in the last hour! Is it usually like that?? It's a beta, so it will crash sporadically. Mine probably crashes about once every other day--much less than IE, but more than Mozilla.

I also keep up with the nightlies. This can help eliminate some crashes, but bring up new ones. My experience in the past month has been that the nightlies are getting more stable. Your mileage may vary.

Chris

howard
Dec 2, 2002, 10:32 PM
nightlies? what are they?

ddtlm
Dec 2, 2002, 10:42 PM
I've had no problems with Chimera 0.6 on 10.2.

DreaminDirector
Dec 2, 2002, 10:50 PM
I just downloaded Chimera 0.6 last night and I like it alot. I dont love it yet, but there are alot of features that blow IE out of the water. The tabs feature is pretty cool and the pop-up killer is a welcome option. I however can't wait to see a final version of Chimera. When that happens, it's goodbye IE forever!

Also, since we're on the subject, what is the deal with the flash conflict? I've been to a few flash sites and Chimera has functioned well. Has anyone else had problems?

chmorley
Dec 2, 2002, 11:00 PM
nightlies? what are they? Nightly builds. As a work in progress, bugs are fixed and features added daily. You can track daily changes here (http://bonsai.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=Chimera&branch=CHIMERA_M1_0_1_BRANCH&branchtype=match&dir=&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=week&mindate=&maxdate=&cvsroot=%2Fcvsroot). As these things are worked out, new builds are realeased each night. You can get them from the nightly directory (http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/chimera/nightly/latest/). Of course, as features are added, new bugs sometimes can come up, but I haven't had a problem in a while. If you want to keep up with nightlies, ChimeraKnight (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15664) can help make it easy. It also makes it easy to move back to the previous nightly if you find the newest one not to your liking.

The Flash problem seems largely to have gone away for those who have kept up with the Flash releases. There was a conflict with an earlier version that was causing problems (and Chimera wasn't really implementing it very quickly). Shouldn't be a problem anymore, though.

Chris

multifinder
Dec 4, 2002, 04:26 PM
at first i downloaded it and its served me well...for like 3 days..now it has crashed twice in the last hour! Is it usually like that??

0.5 was stable, but 0.6 has been much worse for me, crashing at least once a day. I went back to Mozilla 1.2.1, which seems more reliable. Once they get the bugs worked out, Chimera will be awesome.

Taft
Dec 4, 2002, 04:38 PM
I have learned to avoid some situations if at all possible. Things like viewing multimedia content (movies mostly; .mov, .avi, etc) right in a page will bring Chimera down every once in a while. I just try to download to disk when possible.

Java and Flash have been very stable for me. Grab the latest versions of both. I recommend using the Beta versions of Flash that are out there right now. They are really stable and a lot faster and better implemented.

Taft

awulf
Dec 6, 2002, 03:03 AM
I had some multimedia problems in .5 but .6 is great, it doesn't crash (unless the whole OS takes it down with it), It works with everything I come accross with it. :)

irmongoose
Dec 6, 2002, 04:40 AM
Hmm... I haven't had any problems... must be because I download the nightlies every day (or night... or whatever). It hasn't crashed on me once since 0.5... almost as stable as OS X.

irmongoose

mnkeybsness
Dec 6, 2002, 11:03 AM
i've only had one problem with chimera...it doesn't load www.nickelodeon.com

i was trying to check on invader zim stuff and it crashed...and that's the ONLY time it's ever chrashed on me

0.6 is great...i had a few problems with 0.5 like a lot of people, but i'm not complaining...IE sucks donkey butt...pop-ups galore and crashing is not my fancy

oh yah...did i mention i love tabs?

bousozoku
Dec 6, 2002, 12:13 PM
It stopped using 0.4.0 because it was buggy and needed more functionality, but since I downloaded 0.6.0, I use it almost exclusively.

I've yet to see a crash. Watch, it will crash as I click to post this. :D

It works quite well overall, considering that it's a beta, it's amazing.

dricci
Dec 6, 2002, 12:18 PM
The last few nightly builds (since they changed the toolbar icons) have been great, and I think last night's build was the best yet. Crashes seem to be a thing of the past now, even on flash sites (with the latest nightly and latest flash beta, flash now seems perfectly stable - and fast!)

fuge
Dec 9, 2002, 03:04 PM
I was hesitant to use it at first but it's all I use now. It hasn't crashed on me (except when I let curiosity get ahold of me and clicked on the nickelodeon link...<shakes fist>)

It has been so much faster at loading than IE that I can't even use IE without becoming impatient.

Since I'm new to chimera will someone explain the netscape relationship to chimera? thanks.

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 9, 2002, 05:43 PM
I havent had Chimera crash on me in many month. For the past 3 months my computer was shared with about 20 other people using it for a browsing. It never crashed on any of thm either and was much faster than ie on the shared PCs. Chimera really has closed the gap between browsing on a mac and on a pc.

i am now addicted to chimera and only have ie, moz, and ow on my computer to test websites. but going back to moz or ie after using chimera is just unbearably slow. chimera .6 is in my mind a completed browser. whatever they add between now and version 1.0 is simply icing on the cake.

For information on chimera and the mozilla project go to http://www.mozilla.org/mozorg.html. Simply put netscape started an open source browser project called mozilla from which they could build netscape 6. chimera is a project started by a number of individuals using the open source code the mozilla project created/s

aaron128
Dec 9, 2002, 07:10 PM
Use Opera 6.0 when it's released. If you try the Beta now, you'll be dissapointed, but when it's done it'll rip.

I use Opera 6 for PC when I'm at work and it's hands down the best browser I've ever used. Beta 3 for the Mac is almost as good, but when it's done it'll be better than the PC version (of course).

-Aaron

benixau
Dec 9, 2002, 08:14 PM
chimera still kicks opera 6 on a pc. it is only at version .6 too. wait till we get to one. i think apple may take an interest in them then. other than all i see happening to chimera is a few more features and plugin compatability. CSS / Java / Flash / Shockwave etc stuff fixed and even more code optimization.

If chimera deosnt kick when it gets to version 1.0 then i think that opera will have just stolen the code and developed it faster.

howard
Dec 9, 2002, 10:39 PM
for awhile i was using the metal skin for chimera...i took it off and i'm noticing it is a lot faster...could the skin have been slowing it down??

Over Achiever
Dec 9, 2002, 11:06 PM
Am I right to assume that you're all using SpeedChimera? If not...you're missing out on the true potential of Chimera...

Just wanted to bring it up.

irmongoose
Dec 10, 2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by benixau
i think apple may take an interest in them then.

Apple already did take an interest in Chimera.. they hired the guy who made it...

Over Achiever: yes, I used SpeedChimera, but I don't know how much difference it made... do you know of a page with benchmarks or something?

irmongoose

saint
Dec 10, 2002, 05:26 AM
I have found chimera to load pages faster than Exploder, but flash stuff has been pretty slow, and there is a bit of a lag when I am typing text into a text field (like I am doing now)- gives me memories of word processing on my old mac plus.

Has some great features, but is also lacking some features.
I don't get many crashes though.

Over Achiever
Dec 10, 2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by irmongoose
Over Achiever: yes, I used SpeedChimera, but I don't know how much difference it made... do you know of a page with benchmarks or something?

Nope. Sorry. :(

I just have been hearing that SpeedChimera greatly improves the speed and adds additional features, I guess not then :(

kenkooler
Dec 10, 2002, 08:52 AM
Probably Nickelodeon realized it...
After clicking the link all I got was
An error (500 Internal Server Error) has occured in response to this request.

MacBandit
Dec 10, 2002, 10:39 AM
Chimera only crashes for me when I go to cetain websites. At the moment specifically www.comingsoon.net. I have reported this several times and it was actually fixed in one nightly build but since has developed problems again. So I continue to report the problem and use IE when I want to view that page. Chimera does open that page once in a great while. I think it probably has something to do with popup adds.

mnkeybsness
Dec 10, 2002, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit
Chimera only crashes for me when I go to cetain websites. At the moment specifically www.comingsoon.net. I have reported this several times and it was actually fixed in one nightly build but since has developed problems again. So I continue to report the problem and use IE when I want to view that page. Chimera does open that page once in a great while. I think it probably has something to do with popup adds.

that page worked just fine and dandy for me (i got a little curious as others have i'm sure)

irmongoose
Dec 11, 2002, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

It does take a little while but it loaded perfectly for me... hmm....

irmongoose

AmbitiousLemon
Dec 11, 2002, 03:40 AM
It does take a little while but it loaded perfectly for me... hmm....

works for me as well. perhaps it is because we are running the latest nightly builds?

sparkleytone
Dec 11, 2002, 09:02 AM
For those being brought into the UNIX world without prior knowledge...there are going to be alot of differences when it comes to the development of software. This is inherently true of open sourced software.

Most Mac users are used to software coming from a company designed to make money on its software. These people receive feedback on what needs to be done, what bugs there are, etc from support calls/emails and paid studies. This isn't going to happen in the open source world. IMHO there are many advantages to this as well as the obvious disadvantages. One is that you can go directly to the source and fix it yourself, if you are so inclined. Two is that you can file a bug report, thus initiating forward motion from the developers. These two inherently give much more power to the average user than has ever been offered before.

irmongoose
Dec 11, 2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

works for me as well. perhaps it is because we are running the latest nightly builds?

Most probably... MacBandit, are you running the latest nightlies?

irmongoose

MacBandit
Dec 11, 2002, 10:06 AM

Most probably... MacBandit, are you running the latest nightlies?

irmongoose

I am now. Though I was running a build from just 2 days ago. I will let you know if this build continues to work. I had a previous build that worked also but something changed on the www.comingsoon.net website and it quit working again. Even with the build 2 days ago it was able to open the site once and a while just fine and the rest of the time it would crash.

MacBandit
Dec 11, 2002, 10:11 AM
So the first couple times I tried the www.comingsoon.net website it loaded fine, but slow. I tried it again just a few minutes ago and it crashed even with the latest build.

Siemova
Dec 11, 2002, 10:40 AM
Interesting... I'm using the stock 0.6 build (haven't updated to any nightlies), and both sites work fine for me. The latter gave me a spinning beachball for a few seconds, but that's it.

Codemonkey
Dec 14, 2002, 12:36 AM
I went to comingsoon.net using Chimera 0.6, build 2002120804.

Some obeservations: I'm pretty sure there was a Java banner ad on the page (Antwone Fisher, and some digital clock thing... really ugly...). I think Chimera loads the Java VM in the background.... the HD thrashed like it was loading something (uncharacteristic of a typical HTML page being rendered in Chimera/Mozilla).

But it loaded. So just for kicks I went to (menu): Navigator --> Preferences --> Web Features and UN-checked "Enable Java". I then went back to the page and hit shift-reload over and over again to see if a) I could see any more/that Java ad and b) if it crashed anyway.

Neither happened. So, I'm taking a bit of a guess here, but the JVM might be barfing. Turn off Java and try going to htttp://www.comingsoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net).

Just my .02

MacBandit
Dec 14, 2002, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Codemonkey
I went to comingsoon.net using Chimera 0.6, build 2002120804.

Some obeservations: I'm pretty sure there was a Java banner ad on the page (Antwone Fisher, and some digital clock thing... really ugly...). I think Chimera loads the Java VM in the background.... the HD thrashed like it was loading something (uncharacteristic of a typical HTML page being rendered in Chimera/Mozilla).

But it loaded. So just for kicks I went to (menu): Navigator --> Preferences --> Web Features and UN-checked "Enable Java". I then went back to the page and hit shift-reload over and over again to see if a) I could see any more/that Java ad and b) if it crashed anyway.

Neither happened. So, I'm taking a bit of a guess here, but the JVM might be barfing. Turn off Java and try going to htttp://www.comingsoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net).

Just my .02

Thanks loads fine without java support turned on.

I had begun to wonder if maybe it was the flash plugin. Though I don't think there is any flash items on the page.

Codemonkey
Dec 14, 2002, 12:52 AM
Sometimes it can be difficult to recognize anything other than HTML these days... Java can be used for something as small as clickstream gathering, and Flash output is getting so complex I've been caught trying to 'view source' of a Flash app, not realizing what it was.

My suggestion is to just leave Java off, on Chimera and IE... it's flaky in both from my experience.

Incidentally, for anyone who doesn't know or forgot or is new to OS X, Chimera comes with a lot more useful features, you just gotta enable them. They're off by default.

Right-click (control-click) the striped area in the toolbar and choose Customize Toolbar. All the goodies are in there!