PDA

View Full Version : Want to sell my eMac

jmufellow
Sep 26, 2005, 11:49 AM
I'm thinking about selling my eMac on ebay but I realized that shipping would be a big deal. Any ideas on how to ship the unit? I have the original box but the upc codes are cut out of it for a refund :( Oh well. Also how do I erase everything on the computer? I definitely would not like someone looking where I've been finding info on me from my old computer! Thanks.

CanadaRAM
Sep 26, 2005, 11:58 AM
Weigh it, measure the box, Call UPS for their Standard rates or go to a UPS store.

Boot from the OSX CD/DVD, go into Disk Utility from the top menu, Erase the disk with the "secure" option turned on (Options - Zero all Data), go have lunch, then, when it's finished do an Erase and Install to reinstall the OS, and you should be good.

jmufellow
Sep 26, 2005, 12:05 PM
when it's finished do an Erase and Install to reinstall the OS,
pardon my idiocracy but I have to erase it again after I already did the secure erase?

mac-er
Sep 26, 2005, 12:51 PM
When I sold my eMac, it cost about $60 to ship it ground via UPS

emaja
Sep 26, 2005, 12:54 PM
I sold my eMac on eBay to help pay for the G5 iMac. It cost about $45 by FedEx Ground including insurance.

Make sure that you de-authorize it to play any songs that you bought from ITMS. I zeroed the HD and reinstalled the software. I also gave the buyer the option for me to install all the updates, just in case they didn't have broadband.

CanadaRAM
Sep 26, 2005, 12:54 PM
pardon my idiocracy but I have to erase it again after I already did the secure erase?
No, you don't have to, but doing it twice is a middle ground between thepurchaser's recoverability (from a simple Erase) and total anal-retentive security (which involves multiple passes of random data, multiple erases and animal sacrifices)

jmufellow
Sep 26, 2005, 01:15 PM
Thanks for all the tips! I want to sell it so I can get an ibook instead for the portability :)

crazysaxchris
Sep 27, 2005, 08:29 PM
when are you going to sell it i might be interested, how much buy it from you knoq :D

jmufellow
Sep 28, 2005, 11:45 AM
when are you going to sell it i might be interested, how much buy it from you knoq :D
Cool, actually I'm not sure when, but I'll PM you and give you my email and tell you more :)