PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook Air slow to shut down...

Drew017
Dec 29, 2012, 07:52 PM
I just got my MacBookAir (11 inch, early 2012) today and I'm very pleased with it, however it seems to take a while to shut down (like 20 seconds or so, instead of like 2-3) I know from using other MacBook airs that this doesn't seem quite normal. What could the issue be? I'm running OS X 10.8.2 (with the latest software updates) Thanks!!

Mrbobb
Dec 29, 2012, 08:16 PM
External-attached devices incl USB, monitor and LAN shares will cause this delay. I suppose u can manually eject them before hand but that's the reason.

Drew017
Dec 29, 2012, 08:19 PM
External-attached devices incl USB, monitor and LAN shares will cause this delay. I suppose u can manually eject them before hand but that's the reason.

Thanks, but nope... nothing is attached. It does this even when I have no apps running in the background :/

Blaine
Dec 29, 2012, 08:28 PM
I believe it's a known issue with 10.8.2

Maybe it'll be fixed with 10.8.3

Drew017
Dec 29, 2012, 08:35 PM
I believe it's a known issue with 10.8.2

Maybe it'll be fixed with 10.8.3

hopefully! :p

aristobrat
Dec 29, 2012, 08:43 PM
hopefully! :p
x2, as I'm having it also! :D

Drew017
Dec 29, 2012, 08:49 PM
hmmmm if I repair permissions before I shut down it is normal, but when I restart it again it is back to the same old slow startup :confused:

washburn
Dec 29, 2012, 08:56 PM
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Startup Disk, and select a disk

that you boot from

aristobrat
Dec 29, 2012, 09:02 PM
hmmmm if I repair permissions before I shut down it is normal, but when I restart it again it is back to the same old slow startup :confused:
From reading various posts over the last few weeks, it seems like a lot of people are having this problem, and I don't think anyone's found a reasonable (i.e. not dicking around in terminal) workaround.

Mrbobb
Dec 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
What about if u DONT SHUT IT DOWN, but merely put it to sleep like lots of people do? U know, go with the flow?

coldjeanzzz
Dec 29, 2012, 10:02 PM
What about if u DONT SHUT IT DOWN, but merely put it to sleep like lots of people do? U know, go with the flow?

Because I like to shut my laptop down, I don't give a **** what other people do

OP I'm experiencing the same thing, I noticed it right away the first time I shut it down. Hopefully it gets fixed some how

PBG4 Dude
Dec 29, 2012, 10:11 PM
I figured it out and it is easily repeatable. If you check that box to reopen everything when it restarts, it will take 10-20 seconds to shut down. If you uncheck the box, it'll only take a couple seconds because it doesn't have to save configuration.

Mrbobb
Dec 29, 2012, 10:21 PM
I figured it out and it is easily repeatable. If you check that box to reopen everything when it restarts, it will take 10-20 seconds to shut down. If you uncheck the box, it'll only take a couple seconds because it doesn't have to save configuration.

Makes perfect sense. Also set sleep mode to 0, as detailed on past's posts.

Lots of stressed out people on this forum! ^)

Drew017
Dec 29, 2012, 10:30 PM

its about the same for me here...idk

coldjeanzzz
Dec 30, 2012, 01:36 AM

I read about this but people said it only worked the first time they shut down

I tried it and it has worked a few times now so hopefully it continues to work! My shutdowns are instant while before it was a good 15-20 seconds

cedwhatev
Dec 30, 2012, 06:34 AM
This has been an issue with A LOT of people for the last few months, it seems to be an issue with 10.8.2. Every resolution has been attempted (deleting certain programs, fresh installations, SMC reset and so on..) and nothing seems to work. Fingers are crossed for 10.8.3 to fix it! :D

mag01
Dec 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
All I can say about the possible fix in 10.8.3 is that the current 10.8.3 beta build 12D44 doesn't make any difference...

PBG4 Dude
Dec 30, 2012, 08:39 AM
I read about this but people said it only worked the first time they shut down

I tried it and it has worked a few times now so hopefully it continues to work! My shutdowns are instant while before it was a good 15-20 seconds

I just tried this for the first time yesterday (was wondering if it would make a difference). Didn't know other people had reported on this but it makes sense other people would try too. :)

coldjeanzzz
Dec 30, 2012, 12:19 PM
I just tried this for the first time yesterday (was wondering if it would make a difference). Didn't know other people had reported on this but it makes sense other people would try too. :)

Unfortunately I spoke too soon, shut down last night after a few hours of use and it went back to taking 12-15 seconds. :(

As others have said I don't think any "quick fix" will do the job here. Stupid Apple will just have to correct this on their own.

Jamesbot
Dec 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
Maybe check the logs on your mac and see what the os is spending its time on during shutdown. Here's a link that'll help you find the logs:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/48226/how-do-i-find-the-log-for-the-shutdown-process

There's a good tip in there for shutting down in verbose mode, which might also be helpful in troubleshooting the problem.

Drew017
Dec 30, 2012, 03:15 PM
here's the permissions that keep having to be repaired after every restart... I'm not sure how to keep them permanently fixed... any ideas? It shuts down normally if I repair these permissions, but i have to do it again before I shut it down again or I get the same old 15- 20 sec. delay :confused:

Drew017
Dec 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
submitted a bug report to apple through the feedback part of their letter... maybe I'll get a response :p

Mactabulous
Dec 30, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'm also getting this on my 2012 MBA 13". I submitted a bug report to Apple.

krravi
Dec 31, 2012, 12:50 AM
I just got my MacBookAir (11 inch, early 2012) today and I'm very pleased with it, however it seems to take a while to shut down (like 20 seconds or so, instead of like 2-3) I know from using other MacBook airs that this doesn't seem quite normal. What could the issue be? I'm running OS X 10.8.2 (with the latest software updates) Thanks!!

Just curious, if you have configured the Mail app and it has lot of accounts?

Next time quit the mail app completely and then do a shutdown and see if its faster.

Drew017
Dec 31, 2012, 12:22 PM
Just curious, if you have configured the Mail app and it has lot of accounts?

Next time quit the mail app completely and then do a shutdown and see if its faster.

I only have my icloud email in it... and yeah I've tried it, but it still doesn't work :/

robvas
Dec 31, 2012, 12:46 PM
It's only like 10 seconds...I just live with it!

krravi
Dec 31, 2012, 01:53 PM
I only have my icloud email in it... and yeah I've tried it, but it still doesn't work :/

How much memory and hard disk space is empty?

Drew017
Dec 31, 2012, 03:53 PM
How much memory and hard disk space is empty?

I have over half of the disk empty and memory is 2GB...

krravi
Dec 31, 2012, 04:02 PM
I have over half of the disk empty and memory is 2GB...

Memory is 2 GB.. thats tight. Maybe its clearing out the virtual memory before it shuts down as there are too many services and programs running? Just a guess.

Now boot your laptop and don't run anything. Check your activity monitor and kill all the user(your) processes. Maybe you have a lot of small programs running like google drive, evernote etc etc...

Now do a shutdown and see what happens.

Drew017
Dec 31, 2012, 04:54 PM
Memory is 2 GB.. thats tight. Maybe its clearing out the virtual memory before it shuts down as there are too many services and programs running? Just a guess.

Now boot your laptop and don't run anything. Check your activity monitor and kill all the user(your) processes. Maybe you have a lot of small programs running like google drive, evernote etc etc...

Now do a shutdown and see what happens.

2GB isn't too bad for me, because I don't usually have a lot of background processes running... It usually has about 100mb free when I have larger apps like Aperture running

Anyway yes I have tried that (along with purging the RAM) but it doesn't have much of an effect, however I recently did a couple restarts and it was pretty quick... Weird :confused:

krravi
Dec 31, 2012, 05:13 PM
2GB isn't too bad for me, because I don't usually have a lot of background processes running... It usually has about 100mb free when I have larger apps like Aperture running

Anyway yes I have tried that (along with purging the RAM) but it doesn't have much of an effect, however I recently did a couple restarts and it was pretty quick... Weird :confused:

Well something is not responding to the kill command issued by the OS during shutdown.

I guess you have to try a reinstall of the OS...

mag01
Dec 31, 2012, 07:05 PM
No, that's a waste of time, really. It's more generic issue that many users deal with. Search these and Apple forums and you'll find many cases... The most useful thread is probably this one:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4339540
where they made some progress in locating few causes. However it's only about some workarounds (with varying effect) so far. It really has to be taken care in the OS.

Drew017
Dec 31, 2012, 07:08 PM
Well something is not responding to the kill command issued by the OS during shutdown.

I guess you have to try a reinstall of the OS...

If it gets really bad I might at some point, but I don't really see any reason to, since it is literally a brand new install and other people are having the same issue... also the MacBook air has the instant on feature so i don't really need to shut it down a whole lot...

robvas
Jan 1, 2013, 11:23 AM
Why shut down when you can just close the lid?

Drew017
Jan 1, 2013, 07:49 PM
Why shut down when you can just close the lid?

No reason I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong, but all seems to be well now ;) don't know what fixed it