PDA

View Full Version : Shanghai Bullet Train @ 250MPH

peter2002
Dec 3, 2002, 11:11 PM
Chinese and German engineers are rushing to prepare the world's first commercial magnetic levitation train, capable of speeds of around 250 mph, for a debut run some time around New Year's Day, 2003.

By contrast, bullet trains such as France's TGV, Germany's ICE and Japan's Shinkansen top speeds of about 160 mph.

The futuristic German-made "maglev" train has begun trial runs on its 19-mile-long track in Shanghai, Shi Qiong, a spokeswoman for the Shanghai Maglev Transportation Corp, said Tuesday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2002/12/03/international2159EST0789.DTL

Great! Osama has a new target.

Peter :D

job
Dec 3, 2002, 11:32 PM
Very cool.

Now if only we could convince the American public that mass public transportation is a good thing.

Imagine going coast-to-coast on a mag-lev train.

Pure Sweetness.

MacBandit
Dec 4, 2002, 01:22 AM
Just think billions of dollars of government funding goes to air travel every year. In contrast less then 10 million goes to rail. Maybe that was 100 million but you get he point.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 4, 2002, 09:03 AM
The link isn't working for me - anyone else with that problem?

So, 250 mph, but only a 19 mile track? They'll get up to speed and then have to slow down. At full speed they'll cover the distance in 4.5 minutes.....:rolleyes:

D

MacBandit
Dec 4, 2002, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
The link isn't working for me - anyone else with that problem?

So, 250 mph, but only a 19 mile track? They'll get up to speed and then have to slow down. At full speed they'll cover the distance in 4.5 minutes.....:rolleyes:

D

I would bet that the track is a big oval. Your calculations don't take in to consideration accel and decel time.

topicolo
Dec 5, 2002, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't it be insanely expensive to power all of those electromagnets all along the track?

MacBandit
Dec 5, 2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by topicolo
Wouldn't it be insanely expensive to power all of those electromagnets all along the track?

It depends on how efficient of a conductor they are using. Last I knew maglev was too costly and unreasonable until they could achieve room temperature or near room temperature super-conductors. I understand though that they are getting close with ceramics. This means they don't have to cool the conductor down nearly as much to get as close to a perfect conductor (no resistance) as man has achieved.

Mr. Anderson
Dec 5, 2002, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by MacBandit

I would bet that the track is a big oval. Your calculations don't take in to consideration accel and decel time.

I finally got to read the article, its a straight shot - 7 minute one way, takes a cab 30 minutes. Not bad really. But it would do much better if the track was longer.

D

MacBandit
Dec 5, 2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

I finally got to read the article, its a straight shot - 7 minute one way, takes a cab 30 minutes. Not bad really. But it would do much better if the track was longer.

D

You're referring to the eventual transit track. This is not the same as the test track that they refer to.

topicolo
Dec 7, 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by MacBandit

It depends on how efficient of a conductor they are using. Last I knew maglev was too costly and unreasonable until they could achieve room temperature or near room temperature super-conductors. I understand though that they are getting close with ceramics. This means they don't have to cool the conductor down nearly as much to get as close to a perfect conductor (no resistance) as man has achieved.

True, but don't those new ceramic superconductors still require like -78C to reach superconductivy, and aren't they supposed to be super brittle?

Nice 'tar btw :-) I gotta admire a man with taste--err tastes

MacBandit
Dec 7, 2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by topicolo

True, but don't those new ceramic superconductors still require like -78C to reach superconductivy, and aren't they supposed to be super brittle?

Nice 'tar btw :-) I gotta admire a man with taste--err tastes

I don't really no much about the ceramic superconductors or even modern superconductor technology for that matter.

This was all from my memory from 6 or 7 years ago.

Thanks on the tar. I've been waiting for a response one way or the other on it. I figured I would upset some really PC people. Though that would make me happy.:p :D