PDA

View Full Version : Apple eggs...

krossfyter
Jan 19, 2002, 04:05 PM
maybe this has been posted he before..forgive me if it has...ingore it if your upset about it. thanks for your coaporation!

voicegy---by the way, if you're running OS 9, you can see a picture of the campus of Apple Headquarters by holding down the option key and going to the Apple menu and choosing "About the finder.

any more from you techies or ol timers? any on os X?

eyelikeart
Jan 19, 2002, 06:50 PM
that's been around for a while....

krossfyter
Jan 19, 2002, 08:51 PM
ohh im aware of that.

only i just found out about it. go figure.

crassusad44
Jan 20, 2002, 10:50 AM
Anybody know some OS X easter eggs????

The last easter egg from Apple I heard about, and seen, and used, is the brickout game on the iPod...

...and of course you can open up the terminal and write Bill Gates and see UNIX spell checking is action... :D

krossfyter
Jan 20, 2002, 08:26 PM
what about the bill gates thing? is that on os x? please explain that?

ebound
Jan 20, 2002, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by krossfyter
what about the bill gates thing? is that on os x? please explain that?

Hard Drive>Applications>Utilities>Terminal.app

Open Terminal.app up, then type in "Bill Gates" What happens next is pretty funny.

krossfyter
Jan 20, 2002, 08:52 PM
Ok? "Kill Gates"?

is that it?

menoinjun
Jan 20, 2002, 08:57 PM
That's not really an egg. It doesn't matter what you type after "Bill". The command works with anything after it. "Bill" must be a UNIX command of some sort. It has nothing to do with a secret egg. I am very interested in finding new ones though.

-Pete

ebound
Jan 20, 2002, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by ptrauber
That's not really an egg. It doesn't matter what you type after "Bill". The command works with anything after it. "Bill" must be a UNIX command of some sort. It has nothing to do with a secret egg. I am very interested in finding new ones though.

-Pete

UNIX reads "Bill" as a misspelling of "Kill", so it says "Kill Gates?"

Ok? "Kill Gates"?

is that it?

Thank you for ruining it for everyone. (hehe)

ebound
Jan 20, 2002, 09:22 PM
I hate to double post, but...

Does anyone remember back in the days of the LCII and LCIII, whenever you pressed the Shift button really fast, it made funny noises? That kept my elementary school busy for hours (I'm 16 now).

eyelikeart
Jan 20, 2002, 09:28 PM
does anyone remember "the secret about box?"

Tommy!
Jan 20, 2002, 10:49 PM
my friend has an imac 233 with system 8.5; i had him do it he says there is a picture of mountains. i duno the specifics but someone with os 8.X should try it and c. does that work on any older systems like 7.X -?

macfreek57
Jan 21, 2002, 12:37 AM
the "About the Finder" box has been around for quite a while.
i remember it in 6. something

macfreek57
Jan 21, 2002, 12:39 AM
although then it was just a black and white picture of what is presumably silicon valley (I think?) and then in 8 it was a nicely rendered 3d model snapshot.

voicegy
Jan 21, 2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
does anyone remember "the secret about box?"

Yup, sure do!:p

It took me a while, but I was finally able to rip the flag off of the flagpole with my mouse. :D

lera
Jan 21, 2002, 01:59 AM
wasn't "the secret about box" a brickles game? if so then yes I know "the secret about box" any one who has seen it would know why we keep ""quoting "the secret about box" it is the way you get to it.

bomega
Jan 21, 2002, 02:57 AM
http://www.meganova.nl/gifs/nowindows.gif

Close all your windows in the finder and click with CTRL on the finder icon in the dock. Funny isn't it?

I know it is not an easter egg but I did have some fun with that while demoing OSX...

Boris
http://www.macosx.nl/ (http://www.macosx.nl)

groov'
Jan 21, 2002, 03:17 AM
Ok? "Kill Gates"?

is that it?

I t gets even better when you answer that question with y (yes) after the prompt....

See who shows up? (although without a Capital)

macfreek57
Feb 4, 2002, 10:04 PM
also,
switch to "Minimize Using - Genie Effect"
minimize a window just to see the speed
hold down shift when minimizing a window
now hold down shift-control

very cool
i think it's something left there from when steve would demo the minimize effect before X came out

also works with the Scale Effect ( and Suck In for those who have tinker tool)
but it looks best with the genie effect

maclamb
Feb 4, 2002, 10:54 PM
the minimizing was cool...

Didn't Woz write the first version of brick out?

macfreek57
Feb 12, 2002, 11:09 PM
don't think he did.
it was the first computer game i know but i think woz is (or at least was at the time) more of a hardware guy than a software guy. and it was probably made on some huge thing the size of a room.

barvow
Feb 13, 2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by maclamb
the minimizing was cool...

Didn't Woz write the first version of brick out?

I have heard from two sources that Woz DID write it. Once source was an Apple Store employee who was showing me an iPod for the first time back in November.

grrr223
Feb 13, 2002, 12:50 AM
If you hold down option when you close or minimize a window in the finder, it closes/minimizes all of them. It's kinda cool to open a bunch of windows, and hold down shift AND option, because then you have all your windows on the desktop slowly minimizing to the dock, it always wows my pc friends.

Durandal7
Feb 13, 2002, 04:41 PM
In MacOS 8.x and 9.x hold down Command,Control and Option then go to the Apple menu and select "About the MacOS x.x Team"
And yes Woz did write Break Out. While Jobs was working at Atari Woz showed up and "helped" out Jobs by writing a few games for him.

krossfyter
Feb 23, 2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by bomega
http://www.meganova.nl/gifs/nowindows.gif

Close all your windows in the finder and click with CTRL on the finder icon in the dock. Funny isn't it?

I know it is not an easter egg but I did have some fun with that while demoing OSX...

Boris
http://www.macosx.nl/ (http://www.macosx.nl)

you dont need to hit ctrl....it works with just holding down the track button for 2 seconds.