Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Manatee

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
I've kept all my iPods and their packaging so I can someday have a small iPod museum. The original iPod, with its mechanical scroll wheel, already looks like a (beautifully desgined) relic. I think it's the most beautifully sculpted of the iPods. Is there any hint of a collectors market for them yet?

Sly

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2003
Airstrip One
I'd buy one if the price was right, so I suppose the answer is yes. Looking at the Newton prices as a guide, I can't see them ever making big money, it won't be long before 5GB looks laughably small!

Manatee

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Sly said:
I'd buy one if the price was right, so I suppose the answer is yes. Looking at the Newton prices as a guide, I can't see them ever making big money, it won't be long before 5GB looks laughably small!

Gee, I'd forgetten about the Newtons. I have a 120 and a 2000 buried somewhere at home. :)

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I could see there being a market for the 1st generation ones, but not for a little while. There aren't as many first generation ones floating around as one might think. They went from 1st to 2nd generation fairly quickly and didn't sell anywhere close to the number of units that the 3rd and 4th gen have sold.

If there will be a market, I'd say, minimum of ten years from the introduction date, which would be, what 2012 or something? Of course, that's for any real value associated with the item.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
I am looking for one, been watching ebay.. I just want one for the collection, and I would actually use it..

image.php

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Manatee said:
I've kept all my iPods and their packaging so I can someday have a small iPod museum. The original iPod, with its mechanical scroll wheel, already looks like a (beautifully desgined) relic. I think it's the most beautifully sculpted of the iPods. Is there any hint of a collectors market for them yet?
Market?
Theres always a market at the right price.
Value greater than original price? When the devil has to wear ice skates.
Value = rarity with hundreds of thousands of the little beggars sold, the only ones that will have any vintage value will be sealed, unopened box units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.